It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Real girls using The Bat!

If you want to know the opinion of our visitors, create your poll. Please don't submit scammers here!

Ever had a real girl use The Bat! in the headers?

Yes
18%
No
82%

Total votes: 33

wayne

Bookmark and Share

Postby wayne » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:11 pm

Here's a question. Have any of you ever had a real girl email you that had The Bat! in the headers?
Last edited by wayne on Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

MIT61
R.I.P.

Bookmark and Share

Postby MIT61 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:36 pm

Never, not once.

Fenix
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Fenix » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:55 pm

havent really checked until now. I'll vote once ive done a checkup

Saddened1999
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Saddened1999 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:28 am

Me neither, this today is the first time I've heard of it. I find it appalling that it is legal to buy and sell a program that is designed to forge headers on email. At least if that was not allowed it could reduce the pool of scammers to those are technically proficient enough to learn how to do it on their own. Now there's an idea to write to your congressman about. If they want to tighten up the Internet I think that's a good place to start. There's way too much money being invested and used in things whose prevalent use is fraud. But I think I will use some header tools to check on emails I've received before, some from people who've never even asked for money,lol. But not many of those.
Human beings are not an intelligent species.

began steele
*SUSPENDED*

Bookmark and Share

OMG

Postby began steele » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:01 pm

COME ON WAYNE! YOU ARE A MOD HERE! Sorry I am FAL.
ABOUT TO PUBLISH THE NEXT SCUM. And by goodness gracious, guess what it uses! Take care matey.
CAN'T BE SCAMMED -I DON'T PART WITH MONEY! EASY WHEN YOU KNOW THIS.

began steele
*SUSPENDED*

Bookmark and Share

By the way

Postby began steele » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:27 pm

FOR THE NEW ONES READING THIS. Wayne knows I am a hard ar*ed sod here.The Bat is a great way of telling you what you are dealing with. Little Russian girl in internet cafe writing to 3 potential boyfriends. Using a commercial e-mailer? Come on now get real.
By the way I label my pics "used by scammer" I would hate for a lovely russian young lady to come on the internet and see herself labelled as a scammer, when actually her photo has been stolen and that she is just another victim in this hideous circle that we fight. I have noticed some photo recognition programs start to appear, where you can post a picture and discover if it around elsewhere. Scammers only run, they can't hide. Incidently the Bat is a legitimate program and the use of it can't be controlled. Do you ban cars because they get used in bank robberies?
Last edited by began steele on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CAN'T BE SCAMMED -I DON'T PART WITH MONEY! EASY WHEN YOU KNOW THIS.

wayne

Bookmark and Share

Postby wayne » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:30 pm

I find it appalling that it is legal to buy and sell a program that is designed to forge headers on email.
The Bat! is another thing that started off with a legitimate use that's been used by scammers. It's the same as things like Yahoo Messenger or Myspace. All of them have uses for normal, law abiding people. It just so happens that scammers can find a use for them as well. We have to keep educating people, and my poll so far shows no one has had a "girl" that used TB! that turned out to be genuine. People will see the results and be able to make their own minds up.

Skeet
VIP Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Skeet » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:48 pm

Out of about 100

Scammer's=100%
Real=0%

I have had an increasing number using mPoP,which is Microsoft I think?I'm sure Bill Gates didn't intend it for scamming :) Didn't all the dating site's begin with good intention's{besides making money for the owner}?
I don't think they foresaw what would happen either!

wayne

Bookmark and Share

Postby wayne » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:04 am

http://mpop.sourceforge.net/
mpop is a POP3 client: it retrieves mail from POP3 mailboxes.

Features include:

* Header based mail filtering: filter junk mail before downloading it.
* Delivery to mbox files, maildir folders, or a mail delivery agent (MDA). Delivery with SMTP is possible by using an appropriate MDA, for example msmtp.
* Fast POP3 implementation using command pipelining.
* Authentication methods USER/PASS, APOP, PLAIN, LOGIN, CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5, GSSAPI, and NTLM.
* TLS/SSL both in POP3-over-SSL mode and in STARTTLS mode. Full certificate trust checks can be performed. A client certificate can be sent.
* Support for multiple POP3 accounts.
* Support for Internationalized Domain Names (IDN).
* IPv6 support.

mpop is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
See the support for multiple POP3 accounts? That's usually the key feature in the software the scammers use.

Skeet
VIP Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Skeet » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Well you learn something new everyday!{I try to :) }I'm Not a computer geek so you could say I'm PC challenged :wink: :) Alot of this stuff is "greek"to me.lol

I have a saying...If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention!

KaKa
VIP Poster
Location: Kazan!! No Chebokary - OK - Yoshkar Ola really ;-D but promise to visit your city if you send $$$$

Bookmark and Share

Real person and da BAT

Postby KaKa » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:30 pm

Possibly met one but not positive. I know you'll all tell me I'm nuts to believe BUT

Always answer my questions and all mails were witty and specific
Tells me things and not seeking anything still writing after I admitted only wanted a mail buddy!!
BE CAREFUL OUT THERE

Want to locate IPs in the headers click the link
http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10910

1 real
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

never

Postby 1 real » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:06 pm

Can anyone tell me if they use the bat at internet cafes???

MIT61
R.I.P.

Bookmark and Share

Postby MIT61 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:21 pm

@ 1real

Some say yes, some say no

Read the last couple of pages of this topic

http://russiandetective.forumup.org/vie ... ndetective

mochi
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Possible Legitimate Use of "The Bat!"

Postby mochi » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:00 pm

This point came up in another thread I was involved with, and I thought it would be good to post it here for comments (or possibly for amusement).

I know this might sound far fetched, but bare with me. Suppose for a moment that there actually was a truly legitimate "Russian Bride" type agency, and this agency provided translation of letters services and Internet services (e-mail, webcam, etc.) to real Russian girls for a reasonable price and was not a scam. Then could this possibly be a legitimate use of "The Bat!" software by such an agency? If so wouldn't this justify seeing "The Bat!" in the e-mail headers of communications with a real Russian girl (via an agency translator of course)?

wayne

Bookmark and Share

Postby wayne » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:05 pm

The Bat! in headers doesn't necessarily mean it's a scammer, but it is one of the signs to watch out for, in the same way the IP address showing certain places, money requests and several other things are. No one thing guarantees it's a scammer, but if you see several of the warning signs, then the odds get a whole lot bigger. Of course legitimate businesses use it, that's what it was created for in the first place. You always need to look at the bigger picture. What else can you find out? What have other people said about them? Do bad reports look like a case of sour grapes from a spurned person or can you see legitimate reason in their claims? You have remember that seeing it in the headers doesn't 100% make a it a scam, but it should be a cause to be more aware.

Return to “Voting polls”