It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Access to justice [survey]

If you want to know the opinion of our visitors, create your poll. Please don't submit scammers here!
sueellen100
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby sueellen100 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:34 pm

Hello,
I am conducting some research into access for justice for victims of romance scams. In particular I'm looking at the response of law enforcement agencies to victims reporting the crime. I am interested in your experiences if you were the victim of a romance scam, whether you reported the crime or decided not to. If you did report, how did you find the experience (for example, did you feel they took you seriously? Were they sympathetic or dismissive etc) and if you decided not to report, then why not).

I would be grateful if you could fill out this very quick google survey, should not take more than 5 minutes.
It is hosted on google documents but you don't need to log in and it's anonymous.

Thank you very much!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/11UM9QO ... I/viewform

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Re: Access to justice [survey]

Postby FrumpyBB » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:44 pm

Let me move this to Voting Polls ;)
And let me add that this poster has found our FB site, I invited her over, and this survey is genuine :)

The only small collection we have is this: http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... 13&t=68512" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plus the general experience that

local police is unable to do investigations in West-Africa
only local US mules are punished
West-African TV reports when arresting scammers were done when international TV teams were watching
EFCC does not reply scam victims
FBI does not reply scam victims
EFCC and FBI that do email scam victims are African impersonators who want more money

and that a few, but no more than the tip of the iceberg, of scammers are indeed prosecuted and jailed in Malaysia, Russia, Spain, UK or the Netherlands. And sometimes Ghana, Nigeria. Less than we would wish.
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

sueellen100
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby sueellen100 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:44 am

Thanks so much FrumpyBB!

I've gotten a few responses and they have been very interesting and insightful. It appears from my preliminary research (there are few academic articles out there on the topic) that there is very limited cross national cooperation between law enforcement agencies to crack down on these scammers because of the costs and lack of international networks to do so :(
I have another theory but I don't want to spill the beans because it might taint the results of the survey :P

Thanks again and my best wishes to everyone who has been hurt by these scammers!

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:52 am

Is this a personal crusade? Have you experienced a love scam? Do you work in legal or political fields? Are you a student working on an assignment? Would you please provide a bit more information to your point and purpose?
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.

sueellen100
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby sueellen100 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:07 am

Hi Pinky,
I'm a law student writing an essay/minor thesis on the topic, and I'm from Sydney, Australia. I chose to write about this because although these scams are becoming more prevalent and causing substantial emotional and financial damage, there are very few avenues that victims can pursue to achieve justice. I think there should also be alot more awareness about what is happening to prevent these scammers from hurting more victims, but also so that victims feel they are not alone (because from reading a few peoples experiences I understand it may be hard to tell family members what has happened). Looking at the legal options available for people from my country, it's really disappointing how few there are and how difficult it is to find information. I guess all these reasons contribute to why I chose to write about this. :)

I hope I don't come across as rude or intrusive, I am genuinely very interested in your stories and I really, really appreciate all the people that have taken the time to answer some of my questions, to lend me some insights into your experiences particularly as I understand how tough it could be to write about again.

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:05 am

Likewise, I did not intend to be rude in asking. I fear working here as long as I have has jaded me with suspicion.

You have hit the target with your assessment of current legal avenues for victims. They are pathetically short and inefficient. If I can help in any way, please consider me on your team.
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.

Return to “Voting polls”