It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:05 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Plenty of Fish - positive

Scam-related reviews of the dating and social networking sites. Only people with a 10+ postcount can post in this section.
wayne

Bookmark and Share

Re: Plenty of Fish

Postby wayne » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:29 pm

It sounds like your firewall settings are set too high.

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

Pheeline
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pheeline » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:04 pm

I'm on PoF, and though I haven't actually met anyone in person yet, I do find it good. I have had 1 scammer contact me, which I posted on here, and I think the following day he wasn't on the site anymore, so someone may have reported him. Just today, too, I believe there was another scammer ( I'm getting wary of Yahoo.com addresses ) and I replied to his message to ask him for more detail about himself. He read the message I sent, and about 10 mins later, his profile had gone. I used the address finder for the email, and this is what it came up with -
Company: Yahoo!
IP Address: 209.131.36.158

Hardly Surrey, uk eh?

I'll make a post anyway, just incase, and try and remember as much as I can about him.
I may be blonde, but not stupid :)

wayne

Bookmark and Share

Postby wayne » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:12 pm

That's Yahoo's IP address. see if you can find another one there ;)

Kamensky
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Kamensky » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:01 am

I get asked by women what I think about Plenty of Fish. Thinking is for the impaired, DEDUCTION is for people with normal IQ.

First of all, as of now, Thursday, November 26, 2009, one's level of education is categorized under "smarts." Smarts are not defined by professional degrees. The smartest people I know are self-educated. An amateur built the Arc. A bunch of guys with diplomas built the Titanic. Even Moliere said "an educated fool is more foolish than an uneducated one."

This does not mean that I am compatible with the pathetic modern day version of the "coffee shop lawyer" --- "the internet debater quack." And I already ran into one of those idiots, thanks to the site's profound calculations.

Secondly, a man who does not know and knows it, is not foolish. A man who does not know and thinks that he knows --- is. You do not know anything about love. Inventing an algorithm to match people, when you do not know anything about love, leads to mismatching them.

Thirdly since when are men not allowed to show nipples? Does your girlfriend make you pee sitting down? How dare they shame men for being men! As Baltasar Gracian said "nothing enhances a man as much as being a man." So it follows that the more you apologize for being male the more repulsive your are.

Fourthly confident men do not try to intimidate people with warnings because you can only push an invertebrate. Spines do not fold like wings. You have to be an invertebrate yourself to project the same behavioral response on someone else.

Put two and two together and we have a sycophant, a conniving moral coward. I do not put people down, I do not even put them in their place, but I am not responsible for lifting them up, so I will not pretend they are anywhere else than where they are. If they do not like where they are they can stick their head in the sand and hope nobody bites their butt.

Marisa
Site Admin
Location: am from califonia aka carlifonia, united state of americans okay

Bookmark and Share

Postby Marisa » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:01 am

so?? is POF good or bad??? :thinking: Since you mentioned IQs, I personally heard from Russian girls (on Russian forums) that POF it is full of low IQ men. ;)
SCAM FREE DATING SITE

I am responsible for what I say. I'm not responsible for what you understand.

ucantbserious
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby ucantbserious » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:44 am

I've been on several dating sites. I've paid my dues. The sites that collected my money matched me with scammers by the hoards. Those sites also collected married men masquerading as single, an unfortunate fact that I found out after wasting time with them. I could go on and on. Plenty of fish is free. I think they have a wider selection because many people, myself included are tired of paying money for scammers, pro-daters and married folks. POF is supported by ads, and so are the pay sites. I've had very few scammers contact me on POF and when they did manage to get through they were very, very easy to spot. No time wasted. Report them and they are gone in a heartbeat. Other paying sites took their time to get rid of these creeps. The quality of the people on POF is comparable to the other sites. As a matter of fact, many people who are registered at paying sites are also on POF. I won't split hairs over "smarts". Label it what you want but most people understand what they are getting at. I can say that I've met many people who became my friends through POF and I wouldn't trade that for the world. I can't say that about the other sites. I'm still looking for "the one" and POF is the only dating site I will use. The rest of my "hunting ground" will be the real world. I would like to point out that this forum deals with scammers on dating sites. If people are disgruntled because they aren't getting positive responses from other regular people on the sites, they should look at why. If you are hitting on others with whom you have nothing in common or you have your sights set way too high, that is the problem. For instance, a homebound, disabled person selecting a very active outdoorsy person to fall in love with them is setting yourself up for disappointment. It is a cold hard fact that models with stunning good looks don't usually go for morbidly obese people with no teeth, no job and lots of kids. There are exceptions to every rule but you must be realistic about your expectations. Everyone deserves someone to love but be realistic. And learn to spot the scammers so you don't end up getting hurt or taken.
Some days all I want to be is a missing person!

Pheeline
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pheeline » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:17 am

I have to agree. I've been on PoF for about 4 months, and have only had 2 scammers comtact me. The first disappeared from the site after a couple of days, and the 2nd within 1/2 an hour of contacting me. Whther PoF removed them or not, I don't know. Very easy to spot though - either poor English or fairly good English with bad grammar! Also stating they have a degree.

I have registered at paid sites but not become a full member, simply as stated there are a lot of scammers using paid sites, and also when I have been emailed matches, I often find that that person is looking for someone out of a completely different age range to what I am. ie I'm 45 and they would be looking for someone 25 to 35! You can't access any further information on anyone without being a paid member.

Most on PoF are genuine people, and you find a lot of people have more than 1 photo posted to their profiles, and not 'model' shots.

As for 'smarts,' all the paid sites I've registered ask, ask for education level, income level, what level of educated or income earner you are looking for , what colour hair, eyes you look for in a person etc. If you don't want someone to know what level of education you have, you don't have to state it, does it matter? Maybe PoF should change it from Smarts to Education. I'm not too sure where PoF is based, but it may be the term they use.

SunnyinGA
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby SunnyinGA » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:59 pm

I've been on POF of several years, and in all that time I only had 3 scammers contact me. I've met during this time 2 losers, and 2 men that just didn't click, so there are real people on there. I've paid for BBPeoplemeet and was contacted by 56 scammers (I kept track) and 4 real real local people. I've paid for Match and had the same thing happen, so for POF is the best deal by far (FREE) and low % of scammers.

Pheeline
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: Plenty of Fish - positive

Postby Pheeline » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:09 pm

1 month on Footloose ( paid site ) - about 5 scammers, 7 months on PoF - 3 scammers!

I know which gets my vote :)

cgraves
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby cgraves » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:14 pm

I've been on this site in the past and just recently signed back up...never had any scamming problems that I know of and one of my closest friends been out and about with a good number of girls from the site. I never have met anybody off of PoF but I've conversated with a handful, i'd say its fairly solid/legit, not sure on the international scale though.

ber6318
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby ber6318 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:00 am

POF has very few scammers in my personal experience. BUT, instead you must deal with a great many rude, nasty and downright psychotic individuals. The only place I have ever encountered as many maladjusted sociopaths :silly: :evil: :shock: sprinkled within a group was in the Yahoo Answers "Religions" forum.

But in all fairness there are a great many real and genuine people on POF. Just never assume that the one you are talking with is a member of that group until they prove themselves to you.

Marisa
Site Admin
Location: am from califonia aka carlifonia, united state of americans okay

Bookmark and Share

Postby Marisa » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:45 am

you know why POF doesn't have much scammers? Because they ban West Africa and Russia by IP, just like I do. They don't let them on the site. The only scammers they have are the ones who sneak in via sattelites and proxies. If only all sites did the same!! But POF can afford doing this, because they have LOADS of money, heavily advertise, are on top of all serach engines and can get many REAL regstrations. With all their money, they don't need to boost their members database with Nigeria. Other sites, if they block West Africa by IP, will sit without members. But what I don't understand is: why other mega-sites that have just as much money as POF (like match, true, chemistry, ehormany, etc...) cannot do the same??
SCAM FREE DATING SITE

I am responsible for what I say. I'm not responsible for what you understand.

blondi1966
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby blondi1966 » Sun May 08, 2011 7:09 pm

im also on pof...for a couple of yrs now...i did meet someone and deactivated my acct for awhile but now im on again..since i been here on this site i have not responded to out of my area ppl so ...so far so good....

MsDizzy
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby MsDizzy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:51 pm

I have been on POF for some time now, I must say it is one site that has few scammers, but many liars. Also I leaned this week from a friend on there (male) the there are now "she men" on there, if you don't know they are men dressed and pretending to be women, what next???. However there is one scammer on there, he keeps coming back with a different name, very cunning. He is on here his name is Maurice Bruce, he not only scams you but finds his way into your trust & house then robs you....Nasty man ;)

knuckles
Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby knuckles » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:44 pm

i met a women from POF and she lied about her age ,said she was 40s but then admitted she was in her 70s when i met her !! horrible experience ,wont go there again

Return to “Dating and Social Networking Sites”