It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Eharmony - NEGATIVE!

Scam-related reviews of the dating and social networking sites. Only people with a 10+ postcount can post in this section.
arenas
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Reliable matches on eHarmony?

Postby arenas » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:32 pm

eHarmony has come up with an identity verification tool: http://advice.eharmony.com/?page=articles/view&AID=1901. :roll:

It seems they rely on publicly available data, like the one found on your credit report to verify who you are. I wonder whether they will also check IP addresses. :thinking:

Reliable matches on eHarmony?

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

Marisa
Site Admin
Location: am from califonia aka carlifonia, united state of americans okay

Bookmark and Share

Postby Marisa » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:44 am

many scammers have the complete sets of information on people:
names, addresses, DL, SSN, bank account numbers, etc...

They will just enter this info.

These messures are useless to fight Nigerian scammers. They are not just liars or game players. They are professional criminals.
SCAM FREE DATING SITE

I am responsible for what I say. I'm not responsible for what you understand.

arenas
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby arenas » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:49 am

Yes, Marisa, that's precisely my point: they are pretending to solve the problem without addressing it. :shock:

Pete
VIP Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pete » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:52 am

Eharmony advertises heavily. It's expensive. They aren't going to admit they can't keep scammers out, although they charge whatever they charge.

It's like Disneyworld in FLorida. They have crime problems on property, and have a policy of covering up crimes, including rape and child abuse that happen on Disney property. It's not good 'PR" or good for business if the truth gets out.....but they go as far as not cooperating with the local police or worse.
Never send money to somebody you only know from the internet, or phone calls!

Please support this site

Marisa
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Eharmony - NEGATIVE!

Postby Marisa » Tue May 27, 2008 4:29 am

Out of all expensive paid mega-sites out there, this one is probably the worst and LESS worth your money. Almost half of the reports from paid sites we get on this board are from eharmony.

HEAVILY infested, NO effort to check profiles and IPs whatsoever, allow ALL scammers to freely register, pay with the stolen CC, and after report are VERY slow to remove scammers. Sometimes don't remove at all, especially if a scammer is a paid member and his stolen CC hasn't bounced back as a fraud yet.

STAY WAY!!! SAVE YOUR MONEY!
SCAM FREE DATING SITE

LeoMane
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

My experience was good, but...

Postby LeoMane » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:00 pm

I do not know about all that RE what this site does as far as scammers. I was on it a long time ago (over 4 years) on which I met my latest girlfriend. It was a good experience as far as I am concerned, however, that is just me and was a long time ago.
I continue to get emails to re-join all the time, but have neother the money or time to do so... maybe thats a good thing now based on what you said!

Marisa
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby Marisa » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:06 am

One important thing you should keep in mind: people on this site are from different countries, from different age group and of different gender. Depending on that you will get more or less scam.

ALL scammers reported on this board DAILY from eharmony are posted by our ladies. Means this site is crawling with MALE Nigerian scammers. If you are a 40+ woman from USA, UK, Canada, Australia or Westren Europe, plus unfamiliar with scams - you are in a HUGE danger on this site.
SCAM FREE DATING SITE

Desantnik
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Desantnik » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:17 pm

I was on eharmony 2 years ago. Problem was most of matches were 200 miles or more away... some were just not compatible on many levels despite the "harmony" ... also problem is you don't get to see a photo right away... sorry... even if we click on email it just doesn't work if physically there's nothing there... one woman who was within 1.5 hours and I did click... lots in common and we had a great time together... only drawback was she was obese. I mean like 300 pounds. I"m very fit and active and into extreme adventure sports... so a long term match wasn't going to work there... Eharmony doesn't take this into account ... it's all personality driven. Just not worth it for the money. Great TV ads though! ;)

littlemiz
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Already canceled my account after 4 days

Postby littlemiz » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:34 pm

60% of my matches are easily identifiable scammers

a) American or Canadian working as Engineering/Consultant/Oil/Gas in foreign country
b) Orphaned
b) Widowed
c) If have children, children are living with relatives/in-laws in yet a 3rd country
d) In LOVE with me by first or 2nd email (usually 1st email)
e) want to leave the site as soon as possible and start chatting (which i only do to get their email and post on this site)

I've learned to take screen shoot and cut their photos out in order to post them here since you can't download them directly from the screen.

My luck at the clubs and bars is 10x better than with eHarmony. At least there I've met people I could be friends with even if there isn't any romantic chemistry.

I won't be at eDISHarmony much longer. Just waiting for the old refund to kick in.

misspriss
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

EHARMONY Needs to get their heads out of the sand! READ THIS

Postby misspriss » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:45 pm

----- Original Message ----
From: eHarmony Customer Care <Customer_Care@eHarmony.com>
To:****************
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Subject: questionable identities [Incident: *******]

Dear ****,

Thank you for contacting eHarmony.

We want to assure you that we share your concerns regarding the existence of fraud suspects online and the risk they pose to the services provided by online merchants. As disclosed in our Terms and Conditions of Service, eHarmony does not conduct background checks on our members, but while there is yet no fail-safe method of preventing this type of fraud completely, we have a dedicated Fraud Prevention team and we are making every possible effort to monitor our service for unusual activity. We have also found that our members are often in the best position to identify possible fraud early in the communication process, which can help them avoid becoming a victim of a scam.

Please be assured that the vast majority of our customers are legitimate members looking to find the love of their life. However, if you should have any concerns about one of your matches, or if you feel they may be a fraud suspect, please close them immediately and report them directly via e-mail, at: matchconcerns@eharmony.com. We review every report we receive for possible opportunities to prevent these suspects from gaining access to our site.

We strongly recommend that all of our members review the “Safety Tipsâ€Â

Titania
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Titania » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:18 pm

Unfortunately, from my EH experience, they tend not to answer your second email - your response to their response. And I'm pretty sure their response was canned - they read "fraud" or "scam" in your initial email and pull up that canned response.

They certainly could check IPs to see if the person is at least in the part of the world they claim to be from, but that's too much like work for them.

Mako
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

eh

Postby Mako » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:27 am

I actually called EH one night after my suspicions were confirmed with my scammer. EH had sent me an email stating I should cut off all contact with this person as he was suspected of not being who he said he was. So I called them and the woman said they are crawling with scammers. She said they have done a lot to weed them out since January, but they were hit hard starting in January and are still trying to get them off! She said they are "doing everything they can think of to get the scammers off the site." She also said if you have a suspicion you should call or only talk to pp with the relyID - HUH???? :thinking: Ok, how many pp do you know used that? I am not so sure about how reliable that is anyway!

misspriss
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Yeah Right...

Postby misspriss » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:05 am

I am sure my scammer :twisted: is still on there...no termination notice yet and I reported him over 30 days ago...they are not doing anything!! You are better off posting the scammers here! Get them off site first so you get an email address and IP address. Be sure to use a fake email to do it!! Be SAFE!

misspriss
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

OMG EHarmony does the right thing!!! Read this!!!

Postby misspriss » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:31 am

OMG...EHarmony does the right thing!!! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Let me start in the beginning....I have sent numerous emails to EH customer service about the bad scammer problem....and yesterday when I got a "Fast Track" notice from one of my EH matches my hackles went up...I read the profile and his message ...no real signs.... but I decided to trust my intuition and send him to my scammer email addy...and IBD I was right...Nigerian IP....I posted him today...but I was so PO'd I had to send one more email to customer service!!! I am posting them all from the beginning so you can see the progression:

August 10th I sent an email with several messages attached so they could remember me...LOL...

My subscription is about to expire and I want you to know what a COMPLETE and TOTAL WASTE OF TIME your site has been....I have had nothing but Nigerian Scammers on my tail since starting to match...I have copied and pasted the email I rec'd from your site almost a month ago about a menace named Paul Donald....(I reported him on July 4th)...you still have done nothing about him I'm sure because his stolen credit card still works....DO SOMETHING....YOUR SITE IS HEADED TO THE TRASH!! Paul is still matching... I am sure because I see him on my IM chatting with naive women trying to STEAL from them...HE IS ALSO AN EMOTIONAL RAPIST...your WEAK references to scams in your "Safety Tips" just doesn't cut it!!! I wish I had known about sites like www.romancescam.com or any of the other good anti scamming sites...I might have learned BEFORE I was EMOTIONALLY RAPED...good news is I would never send anyone money for any reason ...so all I am out is the subscription money to EH...

Well, I am on another site now for over a month...not one scammer in my presence so far...and I am chatting with FOUR AWESOME MEN...and about to meet 2 of them ...never even got close at EH...I wish I had that wasted money back!!!

Google yourselves...it doesn't sound good out there...
I truly hope you figure it out!!
Sincerely, XXXX

--- Forwarded Message ----
To: eHarmony Customer Care <usersupport@eharmony.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:24:30 PM
Subject: Re: questionable identities [Incident: 080707-000400]

Small percentage of people misusing dating sites????? Of the 8 or so men I have had open at least 4 of them were Nigerian scammers..THAT IS 50% FOLKS....go to www.romancescam.com and get informed!!!!!!!!! You are able to do IP address checks on all of your members quite easily...it's what I have done to be sure that my accusations are well founded! You should also regularly tell your members to watch these scammer sites so they can identify a scammer right off the bat!!!!!!! I got another match TODAY that is a scammer and I don't need to check his IP...don't be so above the rest of the world!! EHarmony is just like very other site....pay, take the test, match and hope you get a date!!! EH has just as many Nigerian and Russian scammers as every other site!!!! This is BIG BUSINESS FOLKS pull your head out of the sand and get your customers properly informed!!!!!!!! I am no longer going to turn in scammers to EH...I plan to continue posting them on the scammer sites so that any unsuspecting woman can Google their prospective loves and see a note and some samples of their scams!!! And hopefully never part with any money...and maybe we can stop the cycle of them changing IDs and starting over...and doing it to another poor soul.

At this time I am not quiting EH because I believe I can still manage to date from your site and I like the personality test approach...but please help your clients learn about these dangers!!!! The "Safety Tips" just don't say enough. I wasted at least 5 weeks on these jerks...that is hard earned money for me!!! Have a little respect for us lonely souls! I believe we put dinner on your tables!

Sincerely,
XXXX

----- Original Message ----
From: eHarmony Customer Care <Customer_Care@eHarmony.com>
To: XXXXXX
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:19:50 PM
Subject: questionable identities [Incident: 080707-000400]

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for contacting eHarmony.

We want to assure you that we share your concerns regarding the existence of fraud suspects online and the risk they pose to the services provided by online merchants. As disclosed in our Terms and Conditions of Service, eHarmony does not conduct background checks on our members, but while there is yet no fail-safe method of preventing this type of fraud completely, we have a dedicated Fraud Prevention team and we are making every possible effort to monitor our service for unusual activity. We have also found that our members are often in the best position to identify possible fraud early in the communication process, which can help them avoid becoming a victim of a scam.

Please be assured that the vast majority of our customers are legitimate members looking to find the love of their life. However, if you should have any concerns about one of your matches, or if you feel they may be a fraud suspect, please close them immediately and report them directly via e-mail, at: matchconcerns@eharmony.com. We review every report we receive for possible opportunities to prevent these suspects from gaining access to our site.

We strongly recommend that all of our members review the “Safety Tipsâ€Â

Gigs
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Gigs » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:18 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !! :party: :applause: That letter is one for Framing, :grin: Please let us know when your $$$$$ has been credited to your account Misspriss ;)
NEVER EVER EVER SEND $ MONEY $ !

Finding Headers , http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... 18&t=10910" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Want to fight back, http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... f=18&t=484" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=66" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Dating and Social Networking Sites”