It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:53 am    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Join our SCAM FREE DATING SITE
Readnotify - trace your emails, get IPs
Forum rules:

** PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

Worried Mum is being scammed

Emotional Support, Compassionate Friends
Charlie2016
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Charlie2016 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:02 am

Hi All,
I'm really worried my Mum is being scammed. She met a man in dating site named Steve Campbell who is exactly same age as her 64. He is originally from Finland but moved to Australia when he was 21. He is a constructional engineer and architect. He was coming to meet my Mum last week on his way to Malaysia but plans changed and he was no longer coming this way and flying from Melbourne to Kuala Lumpar Malaysia via Abu Dhabi ?. He won a contract to build a bridge in Malaysia and it would be his last job before he retires. He has even got Mum looking for houses for them to live in after about a month of knowing her online.
Last week he sent her some flowers, chocolates and a bottle of champagne! Very expensive gift.
The next day he lost his wallet and is unable to get any money or help from anywhere else other then my Mum....
He has also told her he has a 18 year old daughter living in Florida with family and lost his wife about 10 yrs ago to cancer. Mum thought he was a scammer but now he has managed to change her mind and she is believing him and going to send money. I highly doubt it is real but she is falling for it... I'm not sure what to do next how do you help someone see it is a scam ? I don't want to see her hurt she has been scammed before and lost a lot of money.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Re: Worried Mum is being scammed

Postby Igulinka » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:14 am

Charlie

We are very sorry that your mom is being scammed. Actually she did very wrong thing by giving the mafia her name and address for receiving goods. Doesn't matter how expensive it was. Please know scammers don't waste their own money for gifts. They happened to have a credit card stolen from other victim and used your mom's info as a first person to make unauthorized charges. When the owner will call credit bureau that card was lost or stolen, your mom's name will be there as the person who did that. Also scammers now have her address and will try to send her more stuff purchased online for stolen money from other cc and ask her to reship that to West Africa. Both of those are criminal offences. What your mom needs to do is: STOP immediately all contacts with scammers, BLOCK them and IGNORE in the future. They won't forget her fast so she NEEDS to take control over and stand up for herself.
Please FORBID mom from accepting ANYTHING from unknown senders, if UPS or USPS will leave something at the doorstep she must return it to the post office.

PLEASE POST ALL INFO ABOUT SCAMMERS: PROFILE, EMAIL ID, PHONE NUMBER, NAME FROM THE DELIVERY PACKAGE and ANYTHING ELSE YOU HAVE. Good luck to you both.
Confronting the scammer is WRONG!!! DON'T enlighten criminals with your wisdom. REPORT & BLOCK.
PHOTO VICTIM - "Do not confront the owner of the pictures, as they are victims themselves! You will only serve to further the terror and harm !" Silence Is Golden!!! I speak Polish.

Charlie2016
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Charlie2016 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:12 am

Hi Igulinka,
Thanks for your reply I realize what she did was silly, and that scammer would have used stolen credit card. Trouble is she is falling for it and wont believe me telling her it is a scam. She is planning on sending money tomorrow.... trying to convince her it is a scam before then is very stressful :( Going to her place soon to look up ip address from emails which I am sure will show up it has not been sent from Australia. Instead of asking for western union transaction he is asking to be put into a Malaysian bank account directly by what I can understand from my Mum.

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby Igulinka » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:35 pm

Please try to post all the details so we could look for some evidence and maybe it could help her to understand. Don't count on the IP as many hosts of email addresses such : Gmail, AOL, Outlook, Live, Hotmail and now Yahoo keep it private. Please contact a bank and also WU about scam. Soon she will wake up from the illusion and will be thankful. Those are Nigerian students, which came to Malaysia and overstayed they visas and scam. It happened to me. I also sent money to Malaysia to potential Asian mules and never seen it again.

Please keep paling the evidence.
Please read her warning from FBI about what already happened and may happen in the future.

Online criminal groups have gone to great lengths to recruit mules in recent years. Social networks like Facebook, MySpace and Twitter have all been used to recruit individuals willing to let their bank account be used to receive a transfer from an illegal account, then forward it along. In turn, the FBI has said that it was going to be stepping up efforts to crack down on money mules.
Alternatively the ‘mule’ may be asked to receive goods, purchased online through fraudulently obtained funds, and requested to forward these on to an overseas address. A promised payment may sometimes be arranged, however in most romance scam related cases, promises of a new life together often substitute any monetary gain for the victim.
Have you met someone online that has asked you to receive funds or goods on their behalf? Quite simply, this is money laundering and any individual assisting these criminals can be prosecuted and have their whole bank account frozen. A conviction for an offence of money laundering may carry a penalty of up to 20 years imprisonment.
If you have received money in your bank account, or have received and/or forwarded goods under these circumstances, please immediately report the incident to your bank and your local police station.
· For more information about reshipping
and other fraud, visit our website at
http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/ (Safe Link)

Return to “Support and Advice.”