It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:32 am    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Join our SCAM FREE DATING SITE
Readnotify - trace your emails, get IPs
Forum rules:

** PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

Scammers that actually DO visit the victim?

Emotional Support, Compassionate Friends
conster
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby conster » Fri May 26, 2017 10:57 am

Hello,

I am trying to seek council on a scammer from Ghana that “confessed” they were a scammer and that they fell in love with my elderly father. He let my brother and I know that she has arrived in the USA from Cuba 2 days ago and is visiting him. Apparently she is a student in Cuba. Has this actually happened to anyone? I doubt this person arrived from Cuba and am wondering if they live here and are part of the scammer network.

I would like to go visit as soon as I can to see what's up, but am also nervous for my and his safety. I’d appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Sponsor

Sponsor

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Re: Scammers that actually DO visit the victim?

Postby FrumpyBB » Fri May 26, 2017 12:51 pm

No, because these people don´t exist, it´s just false promises and at best, fake webcam chat :( and if you show us her photo I bet it will be a common internet model (Raven Riley, Ann Angel, Briana Lee...simply check out the White Females section here ["African scammers posing as White Females"]). Reason why they promise to meet (which always fails in the last second) is a prefabricated emergency situation, which will lead only to (more) money requests :(
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

conster
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby conster » Fri May 26, 2017 5:17 pm

She is currently with my father in his home in the USA. I just spoke to them both. I have no idea what to do.

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby FrumpyBB » Fri May 26, 2017 8:13 pm

Please understand that we deal with fake profile women and men, usually West Africans, that massmail their targets for purely financial gains. Since these "white females" do not exist, they make multiple last-minute excuses (with money requests) why visits are not possible "right now, but soon, if...".
If your dad had talked to a Ghanaian local, who comes to a visit, then this is off-topic.
It would be very rare, tho not unheard of, that the gang sends a local to over there to meet someone.

Actually I wonder if you only heard a VoIP live talk and she is not even physically there (whoever it is).

In either case you can pay a visit. Won´t be dangerous. It would be good to find out the true motives.

If it was a former scammer, or sent by them, then the motives are not totally good.

Maybe you also have a chance to request the scam profile details that had led to the "confession" and to this visit.
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

conster
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby conster » Fri May 26, 2017 8:36 pm

Thanks for your advice. I had a conversation with her with my father in the room and she is indeed a real person and with my father in his home, there is no doubt. She IS a Ghanian local, but resides in Cuba (or so she says). Thoughts?

I did NOT expect someone to show up. This is more than I could have ever anticipated.

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby FrumpyBB » Fri May 26, 2017 8:43 pm

The only parallel case I remember was a Swedish woman/victim who got fleeced badly by a "standard white male profile scammer". When the scammer knew he could not get more from her out off this story, he switched towards "poor young black guy trying to make a living" and his own photos, visited her - and married her in Sweden.
And continued to scam from there.
The woman has never seen the light and got pretty abusive, how we could list him as scammer, he was only poor etc
This is among the reasons why we do not do real life scammers. It is too hard to prove "lie" from a distance, with technical means :(
Better go right there and visit them.

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Tue May 30, 2017 9:49 pm

Many years ago, I baited a scammer and got him to confess that he was a scammer. His only heart's desire was to come to the US to marry a white woman who could sponsor him and support him. He could only get a visa to Cuba. I allowed him to think it was possible and I did verify by IP address that he actually was in Havana, Cuba. I did NOT give him a single penny and I allowed him to travel so that he utterly wasted his own money. This sounds about the same as your father is experiencing.

The African culture is so much different from ours. It's incredible to me how so many are willing to literally indenture or enslave themselves to come to the US and how many come dishonestly. The US makes it very difficult for them to immigrate so marriage is the route of least resistance. Have no doubt your father is being used by an unscrupulous, opportunist. She will fleece him for all she can while here, but he's a grown man. You won't be able to interfere. However, I strongly suggest you contact immigration authorities and report the circumstances of her arrival. You will effectively stop her legal immigration through marriage. It may be too little, too late but it's all you can do.

The scammer I baited was from Lagos, Nigeria where his family owned a small convenience store. His father was a senile, elderly widower and his two younger sisters worked the business and he managed the family finances. He literally beat his sisters and threatened to kill them if they did not work or hand over the money they made. He did nothing in the store, absolutely nothing. He did cook for himself and his father but nothing else at home either. This was why I baited him, to get him away from his sisters. And this worked. When I would'nt help him out of Cuba, his sisters wouldn't or couldn't send him money to get back to Nigeria. Or maybe he decided it was easier to get into the US from South America because that's where he went and still is to this day, about 10 years later and i believe he may be still scamming from there because we once found scamming IP addresses associated with his South American country. At the very least he's found like minded Nigerians in his new home county and I know he was working as a janitor there but told me he also had access to friends with computers. I dumped him like a hot rock shortly after he moved. Bear in mind that he never knew my real identity.
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.

Wingman182
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Wingman182 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:02 pm

Pinky
“However, I strongly suggest you contact immigration authorities and report the circumstances of her arrival. You will effectively stop her legal immigration through marriage. It may be too little, too late but it's all you can do.”

I'd like to add to this thought from my own experience as a immigration sponsor.
First off from what I have seen here it is most defiantly not too late to inform the immigration authorities about this matter. And I shall explain why.
My wife and I met after each of us had been scammed. She was from Australia and I from the U.S.
When the time came we decided together that she and her then 13 year old son would come here. I contacted a legal firm that specialized in just this type of immigration and the two of them came over under what is called the visa waiver program. Because the U.S. and Australia have friendly political relations the K2 marriage visa was not required. This however was the ONLY easy step. All of the rest had to be by the book, and it is strictly adhered to.

There was layers of paperwork that you can only imagine. Medical examinations, background checks, and numerous interviews at a local government building. All of this having costly processing and filing fees. And if any mistake is made somewhere and you are deigned it's not a matter of try again in six months or so. It's try again NEVER.
You only get one shot to get it right.

Something else you may or may not know. The laws had changed as far as citizenship through marriage. We were informed that because of all the problems that had been happening from mail order brides from the Philippians marriage no longer guaranteed citizenship.
And once we were approved because we did not know each other face to face for at least two years prier to the whole process. My wife and stepson were only issued two year provisional green cards. Near the end of that time we had to show documented and photographic proof that we had indeed established a true and working life together. If not the two of them could have still been sent home to Australia.
And all of this is for the purpose of protecting the U.S. citizen.

So from my prospective any monkey wrench that can be thrown into the works at this early stage could potentially halt the entire immigration process.
And for this reason I would strongly advise that you are 100% sure of your suspicions about their relationship before you act. Because once done, it can't be undone.
Wingman182 Pay It Forward

Return to “Support and Advice.”