It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:31 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Join our SCAM FREE DATING SITE
Readnotify - trace your emails, get IPs
Forum rules:

** PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

Some one i know is being scammed

Emotional Support, Compassionate Friends
jcon
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby jcon » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:12 pm

Hi there about a year ago I realized some one in know is being scammed. I warned them and thought that was the end of it. More recently i've discovered they are still in contact with them and its gotten worse they have sent large amounts of money. I'm at my wits end and not sure what else I can do to prevent them from being taken advantage of. I fear the sums of money will continue to grow.

any advise is appreciated.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Re: Some one i know is being scammed

Postby Igulinka » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:41 am

Sorry to hear that. Please keep paling the evidence, scam stories etc. In the light of low it's not a crime to send own money but if victim ( including unknowingly) launder money it may cost a prison time if convicted.

Kindly post all info you can. Maybe we will be able to find something and this way you could save your friend. Good luck to you!
Confronting the scammer is WRONG!!! DON'T enlighten criminals with your wisdom. REPORT & BLOCK.
PHOTO VICTIM - "Do not confront the owner of the pictures, as they are victims themselves! You will only serve to further the terror and harm !" Silence Is Golden!!! I speak Polish.

bobnavvy
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: Some one i know is being scammed

Postby bobnavvy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:07 pm

One thing you can do is ask the banks to verify the name on the destination account. They should be able to do this for you. If there is a mismatch they should be able to tell you.

Secondly ask for receipts of things which have been provided. For example if there are medical bills there should be an invoice stating what the bills are, what needs to be done or what was done and what was this for.

If they are sending money by moneygram or a similar service then they should be using the same passport to pick up the money. If they are using alternate names to pick up the money, then they are using false identities to obtain this information.

If they are using bank accounts to transfer money then check the account details with the destination bank and contact their fraud department to verify the account.

Facebook, gmail, microsoft etc are extremely unhelpful in providing any support. Most of this investigation you have to do yourself until you have sufficient evidence to prove it was a specific person.

The scammers will always follow a pattern and always make up a convincing story. Ask for evidence for this story.

Return to “Support and Advice.”