It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:53 am    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Join our SCAM FREE DATING SITE
Readnotify - trace your emails, get IPs
Forum rules:

** PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

Have I been scammed?

Emotional Support, Compassionate Friends
deceivedheart
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Have I been scammed?

Postby deceivedheart » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:44 pm

I think I already know the answer. I just want confirmation that my doubts didn't potentially cause someone their father.

I was contacted on match.com on the anniversary of my father's death by someone who was very attractive and complimented me. I'm not an attractive person, I have never been told I was beautiful or pretty or even cute.

The next few days were met with amazing messages and I felt a connection and happiness I didn't know before. This continued for a while and we finally exchanged numbers.

The first text he sent mentioned going back to his home country, in Italy, because his father was not doing well. Over the next few days his father's condition got worse and he had to schedule a life-saving surgery, but in Italy you have to pay in full for surgery first, and he was short 920 euros.

The doctor let him know, since he cannot get to a western union or bank nearby within 3 hours, that if I deposited money into the doctor's cousin's account in Tennessee, the cousin would get the funds to the doctor and the surgery would be performed.

I'm not the kind of person to have that kind of money laying around, but like an idiot I tried to get stuff together. When I told him I was having trouble, he would get angry. Accusing me of playing him, and even once told me I would be happy that his father pass away...only for him to tell me that he is sure I would be but his father is in critical condition, life and death.

The amount he needed kept going up and up, and I kept telling him it doesn't make sense to give the money to someone in the US to pay for a surgery in Italy.

But I feel like an idiot because I did care for him. And my head knows it was a scam and I should be glad I questioned it before sending the money, but the emotional loss is great...my heart keeps hoping he is real, that my delays won't cause a man his life, and that there will be more beautiful messages, moments, and words, that I had hoped for my whole life.

Was it all a lie?

Have I been scammed?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Re: Have I been scammed?

Postby Igulinka » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:13 am

Yes, unfortunately you got Nigerian scammers online. Please BLOCK them and IGNORE immediately without confrontation.
Kindly post a fake profile, email address, phone numbers, SKYPE ID, money request, messages. Please educate yourself about romance scammers so no one will try to hurt you again. Thank you and be safe!
Confronting the scammer is WRONG!!! DON'T enlighten criminals with your wisdom. REPORT & BLOCK.
PHOTO VICTIM - "Do not confront the owner of the pictures, as they are victims themselves! You will only serve to further the terror and harm !" Silence Is Golden!!! I speak Polish.

Return to “Support and Advice.”