It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:06 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Join our SCAM FREE DATING SITE
Readnotify - trace your emails, get IPs
Forum rules:

** PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

HELP! I think my friend has just got scammed again. :(

Emotional Support, Compassionate Friends
geekengineer
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby geekengineer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:18 am

So I have this friend who a few years ago got into an scam where the guy was stuck in Nigeria was wiring funds into her bank account from his friend he said so she could send it to him so he can get out of the country. She found out about it eventually after the bank found out the funds he sent were fraudulent. She was required to then pay back the money to the bank and been in financial ruin after that. She had been just starting to get things back on track.

Now she just told me that she met this other guy over the internet 3 years ago who (you guessed it - facepalm) is saying he's in Nigeria (says hes from and owns a company in Canada) and can't get out because he owes a bunch of taxes to the Nigerian government. She said the bank checked it out but he wired money from his company to a separate account she set up. Then she send it to another bank to pay for the taxes for him. I do wonder would a scammer wait 3 years to get a person to do something like transfer money? She also claims she had did Skype with him a lot too? It sounds like that can be faked as well. I feel so helpless she was widowed a long time ago and she is so vulnerable she gets herself into trouble like this it seems all the time. I told her it was most likely a scam and she should stop imminently but I am afraid she may have criminalized herself already. :(

She made it sound like the bank was checking everything out a lot and that she had waited a few weeks after she got the money. etc. Then she was only sending out small amounts at a time slowly. etc.

Sponsor

Sponsor

geekengineer
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: HELP! I think my freind has just got scammed again. :(

Postby geekengineer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:20 am

Sorry i just realized I think I put this post in the wrong place. Probably should have been 'am I being scammed'

minerva

Bookmark and Share

Postby minerva » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:16 pm

No you dont make a wrong place to post. Welcome to RS and if you still have his email id, phone number, pics, etc please post them all so other ladies can be safe.
to help you how to post and other read the FAQ viewtopic.php?f=74&t=83893

geekengineer
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby geekengineer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:11 pm

I would but I don't have that information from her. It was told to me in a confidential venue so I can't even let her know I put it on a forum. So I can't name names etc. Right now she is still thinking he's for real. So would a scammer drag someone on for 3 years?

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby Igulinka » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:23 pm

Unfortunately yes. The scammer which defrauded me kept coming back for almost 4 years. Some victims said even for 10 years. They do not throw away victims info but rather sell it around to different gangs oe very often come back with new scam scenarios.

Please keep paling the evidence, show your friend topics with a similar facts. Try to get info, so we could search and help your friend to understand the scam. Be safe!
Confronting the scammer is WRONG!!! DON'T enlighten criminals with your wisdom. REPORT & BLOCK.
PHOTO VICTIM - "Do not confront the owner of the pictures, as they are victims themselves! You will only serve to further the terror and harm !" Silence Is Golden!!! I speak Polish.

geekengineer
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby geekengineer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:27 pm

Thanks for letting me know. So its probably pretty likely she being scammed again (cry), but I'm afraid she's gotten herself into trouble again already. She was keeping it a secret from me and I didn't know about it until it was too late. :(

I don't know if she will listen to reason at this point or not. She's in her 50's and who's really lonely and having financial problems and I think that gets her into trouble.

geekengineer
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby geekengineer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:08 pm

I should add I am very worried she will get sent to jail for money laundering. Do you think they would do that to her?

geekengineer
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby geekengineer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:21 pm

Sorry I did forget I can tell you his first name. It was Clinton ( they probably change names so much it be hard to tell)

Also would it be possible for me to delete this thread later on (not yet) if I want to point my friend to this forum? She would probably be very mad at me if she knew I came here. :(

minerva

Bookmark and Share

Postby minerva » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:27 pm

Yes Scammer can use her as their accomplice to get the money from their other Victim than will be making her in trouble with ä law.

geekengineer
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby geekengineer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:32 pm

Oh no.. I told her that she could get put in jail and she didn't seem to realize it, she acted like it would be the banks fault or something. :cry:

I thought she learned her lesson the first time how can this be happening again? Part of me feels like I let her down, but she is the one who kept it a secret from me on the other hand.

minerva

Bookmark and Share

Postby minerva » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:08 am

Because scammer already keep her away from all her friends and reality. they made her believe in them and the only one who care bout her are them / scammer and she think what she did is right.

geekengineer
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: HELP! I think my friend has just got scammed again. :(

Postby geekengineer » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:20 pm

Well I tried to send her some information on things to do to verify he is a scammer to her. I also asked if she would give me a picture so I could check it out for her.. However she isn't talking to me so she probably in denial over it right now. :cry:

geekengineer
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby geekengineer » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:18 pm

Is it possible for someone to delete this thread? or can I somehow edit it? I am very sorry to ask, but I am now very afraid i will get in a lot of trouble she finds this. I also like to point her to this forum.

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby FrumpyBB » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:30 pm

No, why? :) What everyone wrote here has reference and meaning to countless others.
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

Return to “Support and Advice.”