It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:52 am    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Join our SCAM FREE DATING SITE
Readnotify - trace your emails, get IPs
Forum rules:

** PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

no good deed goes unpunished.

Emotional Support, Compassionate Friends
geekengineer
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby geekengineer » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:21 pm

So I'm not feeling very well I have maybe lost a friend over a scammer and a support group at the same time. I'm feeling pretty depressed and sad.

What do people feel about the laws such as scammers turning someone into a money mule that can incriminate a person for doing something that isn't totally their fault? I see they are even using people to transport drugs and they end up in prison for years. This is so sad. :(

Sponsor

Sponsor

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Re: no good deed goes unpunished.

Postby Igulinka » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:24 pm

I am very sorry that you feel this way. Please know what makes you feel sad and unusual it's normal for us - those who know how scam work. Please read more literature about psychological description of the scammers and scam for better understanding. You have no reason to be sad. You need to be proud of yourself that despite all black clouds you trying your best. Your friend will be thankful one day for all.

The feeling you have right now it's also a scammers "work". They will do absolutely everything to brainwash the victim with the crap that only they are good and the rest of us: family, friends, coworkers are bad. You friend is manipulated and till the scam continue she can see the other way. It's a type of hypnoses. There is a clinical Dr. - Kim Polowek MD of Canada, which spend years to examine victims of the scams and their behavior. Please google her name and you will easily find her statements.

Now a few words about your friend:
It starts with loneliness. The person then goes on the internet seeking a relationship. Someone with a beautiful picture comes along and uses hypnoses and psychological profiling to brainwash them into believing they are madly in love. Sometimes this happens quickly and sometimes it is drug out over a long period of time. The scammer can usually tell when he has full control of the victim, and that is when the scam begins. At this time into the scam, the scammer has all of the control and the victim has none left.

If someone is working on the victim to try to break them away from that scammer it is like playing with a double edge sword. You can tell the victim the things they need to know to break that bond but it doesn't sink in right away. The victim will take what you have given them and run straight to the scammer and tell him all about it. The scammer will then tell the victim they can no longer listen to the person telling them these things and they will have a believable story to cover what the victim has told them they found out.

However, after while, when you keep on piling on the evidence, it starts to seep into the victims cognitive brain and they do start to listen, even if they don't allow you to be aware of it. They will start second guessing themselves and will finally make the break.

It takes time and patience and it can be frustrating as all get out. Just know that right now she is not your friend as you have known all of your life, she is the scammers captive victim and until that spell can be broken into, she will remain his captive victim.

Be patient and understanding with her and we will try to work with you to break that spell. How much of her story can you tell us? Has she received an packages to forward on? has she cashed any checks? has she opened any bank accounts for them? or given them the details of her own?

This is very important for you to find out as each of those is against the law and can land her in prison.

More info from FBI:
Online criminal groups have gone to great lengths to recruit mules in recent years. Social networks like Facebook, MySpace and Twitter have all been used to recruit individuals willing to let their bank account be used to receive a transfer from an illegal account, then forward it along. In turn, the FBI has said that it was going to be stepping up efforts to crack down on money mules.
Alternatively the ‘mule’ may be asked to receive goods, purchased online through fraudulently obtained funds, and requested to forward these on to an overseas address. A promised payment may sometimes be arranged, however in most romance scam related cases, promises of a new life together often substitute any monetary gain for the victim.
Have you met someone online that has asked you to receive funds or goods on their behalf? Quite simply, this is money laundering and any individual assisting these criminals can be prosecuted and have their whole bank account frozen. A conviction for an offence of money laundering may carry a penalty of up to 20 years imprisonment.
If you have received money in your bank account, or have received and/or forwarded goods under these circumstances, please immediately report the incident to your bank and your local police station.
For more information about reshipping
and other fraud, visit a website at: http://fraudaid.com/

Hugs, Igulinka
Confronting the scammer is WRONG!!! DON'T enlighten criminals with your wisdom. REPORT & BLOCK.
PHOTO VICTIM - "Do not confront the owner of the pictures, as they are victims themselves! You will only serve to further the terror and harm !" Silence Is Golden!!! I speak Polish.

geekengineer
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby geekengineer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:58 pm

Thanks for the information the fraud sight you gave me was very helpful. I think I got a friend to believe now and I am sending that person some of this information and maybe hopefully when my friend who is being scammed is ready that person can forward it on to the person in question. To answer your question this person could end up in prison for being used as a money mule. :(

geekengineer
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby geekengineer » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:22 am

I hadn't thought about this but could I be considered an accessory to a crime if I don't report the potential money laundering this friend did? I'm thinking about calling a lawyer about that cause some of the stuff I seen online makes it sound like that could be the case. Which would suck cause I really wanted to stay out of this. :( The person will know it was me who did it.

Wingman182
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Wingman182 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:54 am

Without any direct involvement what so ever other then just knowing about the fact I sincerely hope this would not draw you in. Unfortunately we can only offer support, education, and advice about romance scamming.
That said if you feel you may require legal advice I say do it.
It never hurts to ask. But it always hurts being blindsided.

Regardless I pray this all comes out for the better. For you and your friend.
You did a good thing here. It's not often that someone on the outside of a scam (ei. friend or family) can reach a victim while still deeply involved with a scammer. In fact most of those on the outside of a scam can not understand how a friend or family member got caught up in the scam in the first place.
So I say well done. :applause:
You are a true and good friend. Please never change. The world in general needs more people like you in it.
And please, let us know how things go.
Stay kind,,,, stay strong.
Wingman182 Pay It Forward

Return to “Support and Advice.”