It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:17 am    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Join our SCAM FREE DATING SITE
Readnotify - trace your emails, get IPs
Forum rules:

** PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

If police asked us to help finding the ROP, what can we say??

Emotional Support, Compassionate Friends
mariko
VIP Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby mariko » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:18 pm

Question: If police asked us to help finding/identifying the ROP, what can we say??

Background: My friend is rep of a romance scam education and warning group on Facebook in Japanese language. She had visit from police, and the police officer asked her for help to identify the ROP. She is an author, counselor and appears on TV programs regarding to romance scams, and became quite famous in Japan for this kind of scams. Even police come and ask her question about romance scams. She asked me if I could help her on this.

The photo linked here:
viewtopic.php?t=120445

What local Police wants: They are investigating for a scam victim, and wants to identify the ROP and confirm that the person in photo has nothing to do with the scam. They even want to contact with Chaplain Kim in photo to talk and confirm that he had nothing to do with the scam, so that police will know that the calpit is impersonator.

My answer to my friend:
I told my friend that this ROP is not a public figure, so that we can not even find out the real identity of the person. In addition, the instagram account that is said to be the ROP's seems to be suspicious. The followers of the person are all Asian women (most likely scam victims including potentials). Most likely a fake account.
Pictures and name stolen from the social media of the real Yuo Kim W.
sometag.org/account/yuo_kim_wilson/7056233169/
I suggested my friend to tell the police that the Japanese police can contact US army in Japan to support their investigation.

In addition, if police officer's purpose is to prove that the person who has reported to them was really being scammed by scammers in overseas who is not really the person in photo, it should be sufficient to show the link of romacescam.com and some other antiscam sites with this Korean American Chaplain's photos being reported from different parts of the world from multiple people.

What I told her is right way to do or could have advised something better?

Sponsor

Sponsor

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Re: If police asked us to help finding the ROP, what can we say??

Postby FrumpyBB » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:59 pm

Hi Mariko, I would happily do it :) IMO it is just part of normal, standard research, in proving that a particular profile is fake, to show the many number of same-gallery-person registered under a variety of different names, and that most if not all of them have scam-typical professions, details, photos {including Google Image Search hits }, and identifying the original photo source is normal investigation IMO, it happens during a deeper lookup :) because as you know, most scammers "just" steal publicy available and viewable photos, rather than by hacking. By now many "big" Instagrammers or bloggers and professional models do include an according disclaimer - this was different not too many years ago.
Any information the police can get, and that includes the sources of scam-abused resources, not just photos, should be shared with them :) its only purpose is to shed light on the truth.
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

mariko
VIP Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby mariko » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:08 am

Hi FrumpyBB

Thank you. In fact my friend and I already gave the police officer all the possible info prove that the ROP is not the one who sent email to the victim. The police does not trust the Websites info posting about scammers (including here and all the others, and also the one who boasts as only official organization for romancescams info.), as well as SNS doing the same and informing people that military personnel never ask money from common people. The police says all these are not proper sources that can provide solid evidences.

It does not make sense that police won’t assume the person who sent emails to the victim was different person and not ROP, even after we show all these info.

I suggested my friend to tell the police officer to contact local US army base.

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby FrumpyBB » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:07 pm

Yes, fair enough, police and other official investigators should not rely solely on volunteers´ collected information.

All the best and Merry Christmas :)
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

Return to “Support and Advice.”