It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Welcome to the Victim Support section.

Emotional Support, Compassionate Friends
Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Re: Welcome to the Victim Support section.

Postby Igulinka » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:49 am

Scorpie58

Please know that there are out there nice, real, decent men on dating sites. I am registered to many sites just to bait scammers but among them I met truly nice guys approached me and I am not a young chicken ;)

What you need to do is to learn how to eliminate the trash/scammers and set for yourself criteria such: distance and the time of first date face to face. They shouldn't be from far so you can meet each other easily and if they can't meet your for coffee in the nearest lets say two weeks, refuse to see you on camera, give you weird only for texting phone number BLOCK them right away after filing the scam report here first. Don't forget to get from the email address please.
Good luck to you , don't give up on real love :) Take a scam as isolated incident which made you wiser and more powerful.
Confronting the scammer is WRONG!!! DON'T enlighten criminals with your wisdom. REPORT & BLOCK.
PHOTO VICTIM - "Do not confront the owner of the pictures, as they are victims themselves! You will only serve to further the terror and harm !" Silence Is Golden!!! I speak Polish.

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

ladibyrd
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby ladibyrd » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:22 pm

I too have been scammed and I am still 'fighting' him off. I come to this site everyday to help my brain realize that he is a scammer. I am currently involved with the man listed under Sweet K. I have photos and email. His IP was from CA.
He took one month to ask for money. It has been 5 months and I am addicted to his texts. It is like I am a split personality. I know it is wrong, but can't let go.

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby Igulinka » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:50 pm

ladibyrd

I am so sorry to hear about the scam. Please know that "addicted" in your words means nothing else then strongly brainwashed and manipulated by gang of young criminals in age approx. 20 yo who scam hundreds of people daily and you are nothing more then business to them. I am sorry if I sound harsh but you wouldn't ever that IT who is hiding behind the photo of this man to hug you or kiss you. You must put picture aside and rather see here who is fooling your heart : http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... 80#p448133.
Please do not "fight him off" because they never drop the victim , There are other types of scams they can unknowingly use you for. You need to BLOCK and IGNORE and move on into real life from the created by criminals illusion.

Please help us to save others and post the email address, fake profile, phone number of the scammers.

FYI. IP shows email headquarters NOT real location of the mafia. Thank you and be safe.
Confronting the scammer is WRONG!!! DON'T enlighten criminals with your wisdom. REPORT & BLOCK.
PHOTO VICTIM - "Do not confront the owner of the pictures, as they are victims themselves! You will only serve to further the terror and harm !" Silence Is Golden!!! I speak Polish.

ladibyrd
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby ladibyrd » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:56 pm

Thank you for responding to my post. Trying to break free from this man is one of the most difficult things that I have had to do in my life. I was a victim of physical abuse many years ago and it feels like the victim mentality is easily reborn in me. I have already sent him money and now he asks for more. I will not send more and take away from my family. I pray that my family values are strong enough. I don't know how to block him from my phone and need my phone for work. He filled a need that I had. I am a widow for 5 years, had a life of retirement planned until it was taken away. The scammer filled that void. My retirement was planned, questions answered, vacations planned, it was all a dream. I feel weak. I am exhausted from emotions. Thank goodness that I work 2 days a week to get me into the real world. Thank goodness that I didn't give him any important numbers. I just pray that I remain strong. I want to meet a real man, but I am afraid to go back on Match.com What will I do if I see his profile there again? I didn't give him my address, but he has it because he sent me flowers and candy. I sometimes fear that he will show up or someone that he sends will show up.
I am very thankful that something made me 'right click' on his photo and then I saw 'Search Google for this image'. I did and there he was. I was in disbelief. Part of me still doesn't want to believe. He is so 'good' at what he does. He sent me airline tickets and itinerary that he was returning home. The itinerary was really sent from the airlines. It was a functional email that counted down the hours until it arrived. I had never seen such a thing.
I will continue to come to this site until I am finally over it.
Thank you for being there

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby Igulinka » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:10 pm

Please know that you are not alone. I was walking in your shoes few years ago. If not for the support of this site and wonderful friends I met among the victims Lord only knows where I would be today.
? I didn't give him my address, but he has it because he sent me flowers and candy. I sometimes fear that he will show up or someone that he sends will show up.
This is the other type of the scam where were you pull unknowingly as I mentioned above. Please know that gift sent to you is always purchased with other victims credit cards just to associate your address and your name with crime. I strongly urge to find blocking mode or perhaps rejection phone calls mode right now on your devices. Please DO NOT accept any parcels from unknown addresses. You need to cease all attempts of communication no matter how hard is. You need to file IC3 compliant with FBI: http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx
It may help you to clear your name from accomplice into the scam and categorize as a victim in case stolen credit card has your name as a purchaser on it. Please take this seriously. Broken heart will heal in time and you will find a real man who just wait to love you. Take your time first and when you decide to go back to dating site set rules, for example:
he needs to live in distance 10-15 miles no more
he needs to meet face two face in the nearest future etc.
If those want work means do not trust he is real. Good luck and feel better soon.

ladibyrd
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby ladibyrd » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:25 pm

I have not heard from my scammer all day today and it makes me feel sad. I know that is not logical, but as a victim I struggle with the good emotions or the 'right' emotions over the 'wrong' emotions. I get confused and cry all day.
I try to think of reasons why 'he' wouldn't text me. I try to think of what I could text that would trigger a response.
All of these thoughts are difficult to control.
Any help you might have...

mysterylady
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby mysterylady » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:58 am

Ladybird: I also went through the same experience. Two years ago this month, I was approached by a scammer but at the time I did not know it. Claimed to find my profile on Facebook dating cite. I later found out he contacted other women while in communication with me. Red flags came up but I ignored them. I was really convinced he cared about me but all he was doing was leading up to a request for money and I fell for it like a tone to bricks. Afterwards, I felt depressed because I finally realized he was using me and I did miss having communication with him. I was in denial, thinking the ones that said he was a scammer were wrong.

mysterylady
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby mysterylady » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:02 am

Please resist the urge to text him.

mysterylady
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Feb 8

Postby mysterylady » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:30 am

I did not hear from my scammer for weeks and felt depressed also. He is probably contacting other women like my scammer did with me. It was not until I looked on this cite and saw pictures of men who were African pretending to be someone else. I finally unloaded on family and friends. I was keeping it inside but after telling about my experience, it helped me. I would like to suggest that you do something fun, shopping, getting together with friends or having a post super bowl party. I did that except having a super bowl party because I am not a football fan. If you need to talk, ask someone on this cite if you can chat.

If you want to unload, I am all ears.

Blessings,
M. Lady

mysterylady
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Feb 28

Postby mysterylady » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:21 am

LadyBird: I hope you are finding yourself in the processing of healing. One thing that helped me was knowing that this person was not the picture I was attracted to. This month it has been two years since I was scammed and now I celebrate the fact that I have recovered.

ladibyrd
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby ladibyrd » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:17 pm

I still struggle with depression and missing the texts from scammer. He was a 'friend' that I didn't have before. He knows about my family and would ask about how they are doing and their health. It felt like he 'cared'. The texting is like a bad habit that is hard to quit.
Thanks for the replies. Just knowing someone else feels the same way has really helped.

ladibyrd
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby ladibyrd » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:23 pm

Mystery Lady, you are right about the pictures. I 'fell in love' with the man in the pictures. I imagined doing things with him, like golfing, traveling, etc. Convincing myself that it is not him that I am texting is hard.

I have a question for you: Did you stop texting him? or did he just stop texting you? did you try to contact him later?
I still feel weak about all of those things.

Wingman182
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Wingman182 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:14 pm

Hello ladibyrd I can't speak for mysterylady, but I can share my experience on this subject.
Typically it's the scammer that will try and reconnect with the victim after the gig is up. Unfortunately all to often it's the victim that is still stuck on the illusion of this person that reaches out. But this is something you must never do. The scammer will only profess their innocence and that some sort of terrible mistake has happened.
For me it was not texting but yahoo chatting as the main forum of contact. After I had learned the truth I had changed my on line status to invisible. This way I could chat with my other friends that were real without being bothered by the scammer. I ran this way for a couple of months till one day I had decided I was not going to hid any more. After all I did nothing wrong, the scammer did. Within minutes of making this change the scammer tried to make contact with me. At first I was shocked, but then I took the opportunity to block them properly.
I do have to admit there was a lot of temptation to open up the tab. Maybe tell them off. Maybe even play with them for a change, but I didn't. After all what would be the point. The person I had thought I knew was never real in the first place.
I know you have heard this before and you will hear it again. The person you had been talking to was never real and never will become real. And there is no amount of wishing that will ever change that fact. But this is something you will need to come to terms with if you are going to move forward with your life. That and once you do come to accept that they were never real you maybe able to find some sort of closure from this.
Wingman182 Pay It Forward

mysterylady
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby mysterylady » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:59 am

Ladybird: l communicated with him on Yahoo Messenger. After I found out he was a scammer I deactivitated my acc ount so I would not be tempted to contact him again. He tried again last year to contact me via e-mail but I ignored it. I had a hard time coming to terms with the fact that the person I was communicating with was not the person whose picture I was seeing.

ladibyrd
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby ladibyrd » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:07 pm

I think that Sweet K has ruined my chances of ever going back on a dating site. I think I want to meet someone eventually but I am afraid that I will see his profile or he will recognize me. I have experienced his anger in the past.

I appreciate everyone's help on this site. It really helps knowing that I am not the only one feeling this way. I read the pages about 'Missing someone who is not real' . They really helped me too. I really miss him and still text him now and then, but he texts less and less and I text less and less. It actually hurts my feelings that he doesn't text me and makes me feel some how like I am not good enough for him...crazy right? I guess it is all part of his emotional games. I'm sure I will break the habit soon.
I am so glad for this site. It reminds me of what is real.

Return to “Support and Advice.”