It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:50 am    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Join our SCAM FREE DATING SITE
Readnotify - trace your emails, get IPs
Forum rules:

** PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

How to convince someone they are being scammed?

Emotional Support, Compassionate Friends
Wingman182
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: How to convince someone they are being scammed?

Postby Wingman182 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:50 pm

Hello Mime and welcome to RS.

I am deeply sorry that this is happening to your friends grandmother. I know you wanted to try and help her before she gets hurt. However by the sound of what you have said it has already gone beyond that point. No matter how this ends your friends grandmother is going to get hurt from this. But please do not stop your efforts. She will need friends and family that care when the time comes. And that time will come, it's just a matter of when not if.

I don't know what to tell you as far as advice on getting through to her at this point. But what I can do is try to help you understand what you are dealing with better. To put a hard point to it your dealing with an addict plane and simple. That may sound harsh but in the end that is the bottom line. And just like any other type of addict they will not respond to help until they are ready to except it. Give me a moment and I'll try to explain.

Scammers are well trained at working themselves under a victims skin and into their hearts. They say all of the right things they need to, to get a victim to fall head over heals in love with them. And I can tell you from first hand experience it's a wonderful feeling unlike any I have ever felt before. It's not unlike a drug because of how addicting the nature of this love can be. The scammer makes us feel wonderful, loved, even treasured. They boost us up to a place we have never been before. And just like any other addict we want it never to stop. And without realizing it that addiction takes over our lives until we are consumed by it. Closing ourselves off to everything and everyone around us. Focusing solely on the source of that addiction. Our special someone.
The heart is a remarkable organ. It is also one of the most powerful organs in the body. And once the heart has completely committed it's self to something or someone the heart can hold on feverishly and refuse to let go. The heart can override the brain and during a scam the heart does just that.
Near the beginning of my scam my “Phantom's” favorite color was red. That was used as a security question for one of the many western union money transfers. As time went on I was running out of simple questions to use so I went back to “ What's your favorite color “ Before I could type in the answer of red. The scammer had sent “ Blue “
This registered right away with me but my heart stepped in yelling at my brain. “ Hey it's a women's prerogative to change her mind so shut up!!! “
Another time I had called their embassy here in Washington D.C. And spoke with someone who told me flat out I was being scammed. Again the heart stepped in. “ Who are you going to believe some stranger you have never met or the love of your life”

But one day as Igulinka has said the evidence will become so overwhelming that the heart will have no other choice but to finally listen to what the brain has been saying all along. Unfortunately that will not be the end of it. It will only be the beginning of the worst of it. Because even when the heart understands the truth. The heart will still be in love for a time. And it was the worst pain I had ever felt in my life. And that is when she will need your love and support along with the help of her family.

I understand this is discouraging news, and I wish I could say something to help with the situation at hand. But until your friends grandmother becomes more receptive to the input of friends and family there is not much you can do without her reacting back by closing you off and shutting you out.
You wish to help her and right now you are doing just that on top of the daunting task that you are trying to help from the other side of the world. How hard and frustrating that must be.

About the only thing I can add is maybe if you see a story or two here you think mite get through to her you could try this. Copy and paste that story or stories in a word document and send it along to the grandmother that way. Without any link back to this site. Not yet anyway. Giving scammers links back to this site is a major No-No for obvious reasons. And as you have seen there is a good chance the grandmother will go straight to the scammer for answers.

I wish you good luck Mime. My thoughts and prayers will be with you, your friend, and most of all with the grandmother. And please keep us up to date. There will come a time when we can be of more help in the future. But until she is ready to listen there is not much we can do.
Wingman182 Pay It Forward

Sponsor

Sponsor

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:09 am

Very well said Wingman! :applause:
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.

Mime225
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Mime225 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:00 am

Thank you so much for your advice Igulinka and Wingman182. It looks like we've really got our work cut out for us. I guess the first step will be reestablishing communication. From that point hopefully we can slowly place seeds of doubt about this guys intentions and she'll give him the flick. I'll update this thread in the future. Cheers

skyeebunni
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby skyeebunni » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:32 pm

Helpp... I dont know what to do... My step mother has fallen for a guy... He's a plain scam and ive tried every thing to get her to listen... Most of the things ive read here i have done and idk what else to do.

Hes already got control of her bank account and is depositing money into it. And shes just blindly taking it out and sending it via money gram or western union.... Our family has tried to talk to her but shes snapped and gone crazy.

If there's anything i can do... I have photos but idk what else that can do. And his name is philip henrisson.

Please help

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby Igulinka » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:45 pm

skyeebunni

I am so sorry to hear that your stepmother is being scammed. Please view our forum where other victims joined us with same problem: http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... 22&t=75481" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please try to red flag your stepmother's name at WU and MG so at least she won't be able to sent more to scammers and at the same time to support terrorists.

The depositing money into her account it's called a money laundering . The money comes ALWAYS from other victims and please read her at laud what FBI says:

Online criminal groups have gone to great lengths to recruit mules in recent years. Social networks like Facebook, MySpace and Twitter have all been used to recruit individuals willing to let their bank account be used to receive a transfer from an illegal account, then forward it along. In turn, the FBI has said that it was going to be stepping up efforts to crack down on money mules. Quite simply, this is money laundering and any individual assisting these criminals can be prosecuted and have their whole bank account frozen. A conviction for an offence of money laundering may carry a penalty of up to 20 years imprisonment.

PLEASE POST PICTURES, EMAIL ADDRESSES, SKYPE, PHONE NUMBERS, WHERE AND WHOM MONEY IS SEND.
Confronting the scammer is WRONG!!! DON'T enlighten criminals with your wisdom. REPORT & BLOCK.
PHOTO VICTIM - "Do not confront the owner of the pictures, as they are victims themselves! You will only serve to further the terror and harm !" Silence Is Golden!!! I speak Polish.

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:07 am

She is breaking the law, stealing from innocent people. It will not go well for her if she gets caught before she turns herself in. Do you have a family attorney? She is going to need one. Find one fast and see if you can get her to listen to the attorney.
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.

Wingman182
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Wingman182 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:00 pm

Hello skyeebunni please listen to and follow the advice that Pinky and Igulinka has given you. I'm no lawyer but at some point an attorney may suggest your step mother come forward to the authorities first before they come looking for her. She maybe able to claim a victim status somehow. But that option will be difficult to prove after the fact because right now she is aiding and assisting a criminal.

Good luck to you.
Wingman182 Pay It Forward

beckey
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby beckey » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:38 pm

Please try to red flag your stepmother's name at WU and MG so at least she won't be able to sent more to scammers and at the same time to support terrorists.
Hi Igulinka,

My aunt is being scammed left and right. She is naive and falls for every scam that comes along and heads straight to Western Union or MoneyGram. Can you give me a few tips on how to 'red flag' her at WU and MG? I would love to do this but a Google search and a search of the WU/MG websites hasn't helped. How can I get her red flagged so she can't keep wiring money?

Thanks for any tips!!!

Beckey

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby Igulinka » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:52 pm

Beckey

I am very sorry to hear that. Scam doesn't have anything to do with being naive. She is probably a lonely woman who would love to find someone like her to be and cherish each other. Scammers brainwash victims , hypnotize, put spells and the less naive person may fall in their traps...

Please call WU and MG directly , you will be promped to costumer service. Ask them to speak to fraud department or consumer advocate. Tell them the story . It should work.

Have local FBI officer to talk to her. By sending money to West Africa she not only fills up scammers pockets but she sends money which sponsor human trafficking, drug smuggling , support terrorism. She won't get any punishment for sending her own money but if she gave her bank account and they do money laundering she could get convincted and sentenced. Please keep pailing the evidence till she will come out of the fog.
Confronting the scammer is WRONG!!! DON'T enlighten criminals with your wisdom. REPORT & BLOCK.
PHOTO VICTIM - "Do not confront the owner of the pictures, as they are victims themselves! You will only serve to further the terror and harm !" Silence Is Golden!!! I speak Polish.

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby FrumpyBB » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:21 pm

If you know where she usually shops you might want to alert the attendant there in person, by talking to them. But "normally" they already know about Nigerian scam. Many victims have been saved because of an alert attendant.
On the other hand, scammers instruct their victims to lie the money is for a "family member"/"husband"....
A dilemma. :(
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

beckey
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby beckey » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:31 pm

Hello, Thank you very much for the information. I am going to try to help her all I can but I'm afraid she's too far under his thumb at this point. He tells her when to be by the phone, when to be home so he can send her checks and money to launder and who she is allowed to contact and associate with. I realize that one does not need to be naive to fall for a scammer as they are incredibly devious and could trick any unsuspecting, normal person with their lies. However my aunt IS the most naive person ever and lives alone, making her especially vulnerable. Thanks again! I may have follow up questions as I try to help her! Beckey

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby Igulinka » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:44 am

He tells her when to be by the phone, when to be home so he can send her checks and money to launder and who she is allowed to contact and associate with.
She needs to realize that scammer won't be there for her when she will be locked at federal prison for long years .
Scammers recruit all the time individuals willing to let their bank account be used to receive a transfer from an illegal account, then forward it along. In turn, the FBI has said that it was going to be stepping up efforts to crack down on money mules. Quite simply, this is money laundering and any individual assisting these criminals can be prosecuted and have their whole bank account frozen. A conviction for an offence of money laundering may carry a penalty of up to 20 years imprisonment. Scammers support human trafficking , drug smuggling, terrorism. This is where partialy money goes. That's why punishment is so harsh. There is no mercy for mules.

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby FrumpyBB » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:05 am

Over the years I have collected a few typical accounts and stories from or about "mules" whose bank accounts, with their knowledge, were abused during and after Nigerian romance scams: http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... 09#p341809
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

mariko
VIP Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby mariko » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:30 am

I have been reading this thread to study about how to advise someone whose relative is being scammed.

The victim is single mother, 51 years old, never married and have strong desire for getting married.

The scammer claims to be US Army Colonel in Syria, 41 years old, single and have 1 daughter who is 9 years old. The scammer said he will retire in August this year and will come to victim's country and get married, and buy a house there. Now is September but the guy never came to the victim's country. Scammer says he is busy in Syria and does not know when he will be released, and the victim believes him. The fake colonel was about to send -money to the victim, and the money was stuck at third country's custom, and victim paid tax. The relatives Ms. A and Ms. B do not know how much victim has paid.

Person in contact with me is victim's niece. The victim's grown up daughter is at the victim's niece's side too.

These relatives already did researches and found that the victim's story is exactly same as what are posted to the multiple anti-scam sites here and there. They have shown the information from here, the stories the victim has encountered are exactly same as what are written here. But she does not believe it.

The relatives searched the photo which the victim said that her darling sent her. They found
photo of different person (an US army veteran on wheel chair). They tried to convince the victim that the photo is photoshopped, but she does not believe it.

I did advised to the victim's niece about what are written here in this thread.

I have explained that the photo scammer uses is one of the frequently used photo of a German gentleman.
http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... &start=405
And the photo victim shown then are obviously photoshopped.

I also asked help for a blogger writing about scammer using same photo, and confirmed that the head of the photo-shopped picture is the one we have in the forum.
http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... 91&t=56161

I also explained that the scammers have that person's chat video, so that even if victim had chat with the person using web cam, victim should not believe that he is really there.

I have advised the victim's relatives to show all links of the scam information here as evidence that the photo has been reported in 2012, before the victim met the scammer, means whoever using that photo also should be scammer.

Then the relatives tried to convince the victim with all available data. The victim does not tell the relatives about the name of the scammer, and other info like SNS or email or phone number. But I believed that the photo information works. But actually did not.

The victim is at early 50s, not too old. The relatives can not easily shut down victim's correspondence tools and shut down her way to handle her own money, to prevent further loss of money from the family.

I have suggested the victim's daughter that what else they can do is
1) talk to bank and Western Union, Money Gram to prevent the victim to send any money.
2) In addition, I also explained about possibility of victim being made as money mule if she keep on trusting the scammer. This should be avoided.
3) I also suggested victim's grown up daughter to talk to police that her mother is being victimized by internet scammer but the mother does not believe it and never listen to the daughter, and need advice for next step to prevent further tragedy.

What else victim's niece and daughter can do to
1) convince stubborn victim and
2) prevent further loss of money??

Pandora
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pandora » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:50 pm

^^
original pic stolen from SSGT Mike M.
sites.google.com/site/knightsoftheinfernonj/ssgt.mikeminardbenefit8-25-09

Return to “Support and Advice.”