It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:53 am    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Join our SCAM FREE DATING SITE
Readnotify - trace your emails, get IPs
Forum rules:

** PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

How to convince someone they are being scammed?

Emotional Support, Compassionate Friends
mysterylady
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: How to convince someone they are being scammed?

Postby mysterylady » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:28 am

Would the victim listen to the FBI? I have a friend who is involved in internet security who may be able to help'

Sponsor

Sponsor

mariko
VIP Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby mariko » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:09 am

original pic stolen from SSGT Mike M.
Hi Pandora,
Yes the SSGT Mike M.'s site was the one victim's niece found by image search. But then the victim inquired to the scammer and scammer explained her that his brother did it, and victim believed what he say :cry:
Would the victim listen to the FBI?
Hi Mysterylady, Thank you. The victim's niece should have shown the links of FBI and military sites warning about military scams which tells about exactly the same pattern of stories, valuables stuck at custom. But the victim did not take it. Hopefully victim listens to authorities face to face ... Now the daughter is going to talk to bank and I suggested her to talk to police too. I will ask the victim's niece if she would like to have contact from someone works for internet security. At this moment, I do not have direct contact to the victim. My correspondence with the victim's niece is limited because the SNS we are using have some rules such as no links to external sites and no email address attach to the messages. .

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:48 pm

Mariko, you and everyone else who's trying to help this victim see the light, have done all that is humanly possible. She obviously isn't ready to accept the truth - but we all know it will come. What you have done is plant the seeds of doubt. She may not overtly demonstrate that she's understanding, but you've given her plenty of information to fall back to when she is ready.

The last thing anyone can do for this woman is let her know she's loved and that she has people who care that she can turn to when her bubble world collapses.
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.

mysterylady
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby mysterylady » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:07 am

I wish I could connect with the victim. I went through alot of denial when I was scammed. My family tried to convince me but I refused to listen. It was only after I lost 1200 and talked to the FBI and my bank I finally realized they were right and I was wrong big time.

mariko
VIP Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby mariko » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:04 pm

Hi Pinky and all, thanks for advises and thoughtful inputs. Now the victim's relatives are trying to do as advised. No update I heard so far, but probably they need to take time. Hopefully the daughter and niece work together to let her eyes open and show their true relatives love to her. 

anewnash
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby anewnash » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:48 pm

ScamHunter,

I am currently going through the same thing with my 68 year old mom. Mom started receiving these friend requests on Facebook out of the blue from who she thought were military soldiers looking for companionship. This all started the middle part of last year. Once they started talking to her they find out that she has a soft spot for children and animals therefore their stories are modified to accommodate those interests. She has thrown away a 40 year marriage to my dad because of promised made by her scammers. I have a list of 24 names. When she came to me and asked for help with stopping one of them from calling and harassing her, I had lots of questions. I went into investigative mode at that point. She gave me the names of several (7) of the ones that kept bothering her and she said she had blocked them on Facebook. I went on Facebook and showed her how they were still in her friends list and showed her how to block people and asked her if that is what she did. Her response was, "No." She gave me her login info at that time to go into her account and block those people. That is where I discovered several of her scammer conversations. I saved the links to each profile before I blocked them so I could report them. Every one of them fall in love with her within a day and often within hours of first communication. They also get her switched over to WhatsApp because all messages are encrypted so that they cannot be traced. Each and every one that she talks to she tells her life story. She tells them where I live, where my brother lives, where my nephew lives and that he is an army medic, the value of my dad's property, what my dad's 401k is worth, and sends pictures of my new granddaughter. She is now asking for an $87,000 settlement in the divorce. I have advised my dad against this. One of her scammers used a stolen image of a 10 year old red-headed boy, saying he was his son whose birthday was coming up. So then mom was suddenly talking to him as well. He gave her a list of what he would like. (Xbox or PS4) She told him to be looking for a surprise package. The stories they tell are wild. They are always on peacekeeping missions in war torn areas, from the states, high-ranking officers, and parents are other nationalities. Their children are always adopted and injured in bombings. They all always have accents and when she questions that, she is told that it is because they work over in those regions so long that they pick up those accents. I had to stop sending links to her showing her that they were not who they said they were because she was just confronting them and forwarding the links to them.

The RSN and SCARS groups that I am a member of advise against sending links to the scammer or confront them EVER. It only teaches them how to get better at what they do. The RSN site has their site closed to any IP address coming out of that region. They cannot post anything or add or make any changes to anything on their site.

There are 3 that stand out though. The first was a General who claimed to be an FBI agent. The credentials he used to prove that was a receipt that he had on his end from Western Union with my mom's name, my dad's address, her new phone number, and the name of the person who picked up the money. That is how I knew that she had sent money to Ghana. At that time she admitted to $1700. We have since learned that this amount turned out to be closer to $6000. This could actually climb higher because we think this has been going on longer, now that records are being pulled and closely scrutinized in the divorce.

Another claimed to be an agent working for the DOD and wanted to hire her to be an agent as well. She would be assigned three countries. She was sent an application via Facebook message that she filled out and sent back via a private email. At this point is where she gave this one all her info; banking, SS#, DOB, address, etc. They deposited a total of 4 checks into her account over the course of 2 weeks totaling $1900. Each check came with a charge. She is in arrears with the bank for $3400. This one conned her into bank fraud/money laundering/muling. But he also loves her and wants to marry her.

When I discovered and traced her current scammer and gathered my evidence, it was right around the time that the whole mess of the "DOD" was happening. I did an "intervention" of sorts and sat her down and was pretty harsh with her. I showed her what I had. I showed her what I could see from my point of view on Facebook and that if I could see it, then everyone else could too. I made her look me in the eye as she talked because she wanted to look away or down. It felt like I was talking to one of my girls. I told her that being nice obviously didn't do any good because you now find yourself in the mess you are in now. At that point she had me delete her Facebook profile. She sat there in front of me and deleted WhatsApp, Facebook, Messenger, and several phone numbers from her phone. I thought I had made progress and was so proud of her. I told her she had taken the right step. 8 days later she was back on Facebook and had a picture of her current scammer as her cover photo. Her current scammer is using photos stolen from Christian Ciocan and goes by "Ben Miles." The address he gave in the conversation came up as an empty lot on Google maps

I am not sure what more I can do for mom. I am going to try the 'sending info from an anonymous sender about the scammer' and see if that works. I would never know because she has cut me out of her life. She refuses to see me, answer my calls, respond to my texts, etc. On the plus side, I have gotten closer to my dad. He is recovering beautifully after having brain surgery a month ago to have a pipeline and coil put in an aneurysm behind his right eye. I am also working on putting together a workshop to educate people on the safety of using the internet, Facebook, smartphones, computers, and all associated dangers etc. I figure if I cannot help my mom, I might be able to prevent someone else's mom, dad, loved one, friend, etc. from going through this. I just feel like I need to do something.

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby Igulinka » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:08 pm

anewnash

Thank you for the post. We are very sorry for the scam. Unfortunately people who fell lonely and forgotten look for companionship online not knowing what kind evil is hiding behind stolen photos, videos, fake businesses etc.

I hope mom wasn't able to send them anything. It would only start the demanding more and more as they never would quit. Please keep checking her devises and keep blocking all unknown. Scammers feel that she is willing to send them whatever they request and they won't go away.

Please kindly post all fake profiles, email addresses, phone numbers, stolen pictures, money/gift requested etc...
We truly need those to save others . Thank you and be safe online.
Confronting the scammer is WRONG!!! DON'T enlighten criminals with your wisdom. REPORT & BLOCK.
PHOTO VICTIM - "Do not confront the owner of the pictures, as they are victims themselves! You will only serve to further the terror and harm !" Silence Is Golden!!! I speak Polish.

Wingman182
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Wingman182 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:42 pm

Hello anewnash and welcome to R.S.
Your story about your mother is so sad and very tragic. I've been a survivor of this crime for nearly eight years now. And in that time I have known more victims then I can remember. And they had all came from different backgrounds, different situations, and different levels of education.
I've known doctors, lawyers, laborers, farmers, homemakers, and even a collage professor of English literature. And out of them all there are victims I can never forget.
A young man that was wheelchair bound because he was paralyzed from the waist down from a car accident for instance. Or there was a grandmother who had been in a continuous scam for over two years. And ended up losing everything, including her home.
But I have to say your mother is something new for me. A victim that keeps getting involved with mutable scammers one after another. And even after all of the evidence you have showed her will still not except the truth.
If you have read through this thread then you have come across my post about the internal conflict victims tend to go through before they will listen to reason. But after reading your story I have no idea as to what I can say that will help you get through to her.
Perhaps someone else here with more experience then I have maybe able to provide some sort of insight.
As for me, I have to admit I'm baffled. :-o

But what I did come here to say is that I think your wanting to take scam education to the public is very admirable.
This crime has been around for a long time. And it has already been the topic of several news and talk shows programs over the years. If I'm not mistaken I do believe even Dr. Phil did a show on the subject of romance scams. But as far as I'm concerned there can not be enough warnings and awareness sent out to the unsuspecting public.
So if you want to hit the bricks for not only the countless romance scam victims, but also with the intent of educating the public. I say God Bless You.

This has got me thinking as well. With all of the trouble romance scammers have been causing over the years. I'm a bit surprised that internet dating sites have not started any type of internet safety programs that must be complete and passed before new members can have the full use of their sites.
Now this would be near impossible to implement on social media like Facebook. But you would think a dating site would consider the idea.
First it would show it's membership that the site is trying to be responsible for the safety of it's members. And it would also be a good marketing idea.
“Come and join us at such&such.com Where we strive to be the safest dating site on the web”
Hey, it works for me.

But in all seriousness. I really do wish you luck with your mother. And I pray that you can find a way to finally get through to her.
Wingman182 Pay It Forward

keira
Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby keira » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:51 am

In this case I would try one last thing, to arrange a meeting with some policeman who is an expert on online fraud (personally, online or phone), where she would tell the story and maybe she would listen to an authority, it´s different than hear it from you. Show her some documentaries on youtube about romance scam, web pages of police and other authorities writing about internet scams. If this didn´t help or there´s no way to do that, I would do something radical, even forceful, when somebody is already so far in being manipulated, nothing else can help than step forcefully between her and a scammer, I would do everything to prevent her get into conversation with the scammers and sending money. I think I would borrow the same weapon as the scammers use, that means fake some messages - from your mother to the scammer, the scammer to your mother, a 3rd person, I would do everything to separate them, maybe arrange that your mother would think that he has a loving wife, or other things. Maybe she doesn´t tell you the whole truth, maybe she feels threatened, so she can´t and won´t tell you, but if you isolate her for a few days from the scammer, she will see nothing is going on. In your place I would really take her to the hospital voluntarily or even involuntarily and declare her temporarily incapable, there she would feel safe if she is threatened (not tell the scammer where she is!) and most of all she would gain distance from scammers´ manipulation. I think I would even take her electronic devices, ID and bank cards, I don´t know. I think the only thing that helps in this case is time spent without scammers. Maybe she percieves this also as a burden but doesn´t know how to get out of it, so by stepping into it you give her excuse for the scammers. Or if you don´t want to do things behind your mother´s back, try to convince her to lie the scammer that she must go to the hospital and there she can´t have any electronic device, she will see how the scammers react, maybe they will react in a way that your mother will know that they are inconsistent. Or make up another story, use their weapons. Write to the scammer in the name of somebody else that your mother had an accident and now she needs surgery, she lost consciousness, she needs money urgently or another sob story, she will see if the scammer is really that caring if he will see that your mother can´t help him for a while! Or if the scammer really sends her money, than go with the address from where the money came to the police and you will find out that the money was sent from a mule, maybe that will convince your mother. Or if she already received money, than report that people, your mother will see that the scammers lied to her, that the people are not those who the scammer claimed they were. You know the story, so you know what is the best option. Also read this web and learn what are the scammers´ practices. But think through carefully what you will do, because it can end up also in your mother´s even bigger belief in the scammer. So I really think the safest is to stop every communication, she must not even read their messages. When she has pause from them, she will be more open to rational arguments.

keira
Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby keira » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:45 pm

I was thinking about this and read once more what you wrote. In another thread you wrote that your mother also muled, that means she already committed crime, she sent other unsuspecting people´s money to scammers, so if she doesn´t want to stop this, in your place I would report it to the police, I´m not familiar with these things but I suppose you are a witness of the crime, you saw that she sent them money by muling, so hopefully the police will take you seriously. The longer you wait, the more harm she will do, unconsciously. I think you should stop this and save your family´s money and your mother´s mental health. Maybe if the police starts to investigate her, she will understand how serious this is, and maybe they will take her devices, which will be just good for her. If she is an honest woman, after she understands who they are she will be grateful to you, now she doesn´t know what she is doing and who she is dealing with. I know what I´m talking about, I´m a victim too and after I sent them money and they terrorized me for more money, I tried to persuade some people to report me to the police, even some workers of the Western Union, but nobody wanted. I tried to persuade also friends, but they said they don´t have evidence, the police would not take them seriously. But I was afraid, because I didn´t want to be the one who turns them in, I was so afraid of them! And I didn´t have evidence by that time yet that they are cheating on me, or better to say I didn´t know that I have evidence, I was very confused about what was happening, that was just my feeling based on their behaviour, that they acted like cheaters hungry for money. So maybe this is your mother´s case too, maybe she already knows there is something wrong, but she is afraid of them and they are manipulating her, so don´t leave her alone in this, take that burden off her and report it to the police, that is how you can help your mother.

Wingman182
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Wingman182 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:23 pm

Keira
In another thread you wrote that your mother also muled, that means she already committed crime, she sent other unsuspecting people´s money to scammers, so if she doesn´t want to stop this, in your place I would report it to the police,

anewnash from thread
http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... 3192ab9253
She sent roughly $6000 across the pond and was roped into committing bank fraud, muling, at $3400.
She has an agreement to pay the bank back.
She has left my dad after 40 years of marriage because of promises made by her scammers.
anewnash from this thread
She gave me her login info ,,,, That is where I discovered several of her scammer conversations.
Every one of them fall in love with her within a day and often within hours of first communication. They also get her switched over to WhatsApp because all messages are encrypted so that they cannot be traced.
There are 3 that stand out though. The first was a General who claimed to be an FBI agent.
Another claimed to be an agent working for the DOD ,,,,
Her current scammer is using photos stolen from Christian Ciocan and goes by "Ben Miles."
Hello keira. I know your heart is in the right place. But sometimes a victim will not listen no matter how much evidence you show them, or how hard you try. And unless anewnash's mother is a danger to herself, or others. Or lacks the mental capacity to take care of herself, or her day to day affairs. Family members can't just have someone they love locked up just because they think it is for the better good. It just dose not work that way. And even if it did. Locking up her mother would most likely result in creating a rift between mother and daughter that will never heal.

When it comes to victim support we can only work with what information is given by the poster. Sometimes it's very little, others the post is more complete and contains more information to provide a clearer picture to work with. And anewnash's post is packed full of information I hate to see, but it is inevitable. It's a post about a victim that will not listen to reason no matter what you do or try.

Mom knows about getting pulled into bank fraud. She is still paying for the last mistake.
Mom knows the warning sign of how fast they fall in love. Still she maintains contact.
Mom knows that “Ben Miles” sent her stolen photos. She still will not listen.
Mom is maintaining contact with multiple scammer giving her the same line. Still no good.
Unless there is more going on here then we know anewnash has done everything she can do to try and get through to her mother.
Now it is never easy for me to simply throw in the towel with a victim. Unfortunately there comes a point where the victim has basically become an incurable addict.
The mom has walked away from a mirage that had lasted for over 40 years. She knows she has burned bridges with her husband that may not be repairable. So now she may feel her course is now set in the direction it is on.
Then there is how scammers make us feel in the beginning. Special, warm, loved like no other.
It could all boil down to mom being addicted to that feeling. And simply not caring about what kind of damage it is doing. Just like any other incurable addict.
This is extremely sad, but it dose happen.

The first time I came across a victim like this I took it fairly hard and I did not want to just give up. But at the same time it was braking my heart to see what the victim was going through. But no matter what I or others who were trying to helped said. The victim still kept going back to their scammer.
A senior member of the victim support staff at the site I was with passed on some good words of advice that were given to her when she was feeling the way I was at the time. And now I'm going to pass those same words onto you.
“The best we can do, is the best that we can do. The rest is up to them” ie. The victim.
In other words we can't save them all no matter how much we want to.

There is also the real possibility that this whole mess is more for the daughter and not the mother.
If not for the mother becoming scammed the way she is the daughter (aka anewnash) would not now be inspired to become a public speaker for scammer awareness and education.
We don't always understand it. But God has a plan for each and everyone of us.
And this could be his plan for anewnash.
At least this is the though I am holding onto.

keira
Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby keira » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:26 am

Hi Wingman182,
thank you for your reaction to my post, if I understand it correctly, you emphasize the addiction. You are right, if the family separates the addict from the object of his addiction, it won´t help. Although sometimes, very rarely, it happens that the addict is first forced to be in the sanatorium and then after a certain time he decides himself to abstain, and I know people who have been abstaining for many years after such experience. But usually the addict can heal only if it´s his own decision.
Maybe you are right, maybe this is just pure addiction in the case of anewnash´s mother, and we have to deal with the fact that we cannot save everyone. But what I want to say is, that what if this is not just about the addiction, but there´s something more, what if the scammers are threatening her, she would never admit it to her daughter, because she is afraid. We don´t know how the scammers are manipulating her, maybe she separated herself from the family just to protect them. I don´t think she would go to prison, because she is a victim, but at least she would be investigated and she would meet a real policeman and she would get rational advice from him and she would be forbidden to communicate with the scammers from an authority, maybe they would take her electronic devices from her, and as a result of all this she would have an "excuse" why not communicate with the scammers and she wouldn´t blame herself to turn in her beloved scammer. I don´t believe the fake FBI agent and the fake DOD agent talked to her rationally, they wanted her money, so of course they fed her with nonsense, maybe they forbade her to go to the real police, that it would cause unwanted problems, I don´t know what. After such a long time of manipulation her perception can be so distorted, that she is not aware of that nonsense anymore. I remember what nonsense the fake "professionals" were feeding me with, it was pathetic from the beginning, not professional at all, I bet if this continued, they would place a fake policeman there too. Now when I say it loud for myself, the course of the events that led me to send money, that´s such a nonsense too! Sending so much money to a complete stranger who orders me to do things what another complete stranger orders me to do? Wow. Fortunately it lasted only few days, the unprofessional banker irritated me from the beginning, so after he started to be really greedy, I couldn´t stand it anymore and it showed me that my admirer was false too, everything clicked into place. But If she talked to so many scammers for such a long time, she must be totally confused. So I still hope that if she meets a real policeman, it will be such a difference, that it will wake her up. That if she tells the story to a real authority, she will hear how absurd it will sound.
Secondly, it sounds that the relationship between the mother and daughter is bad already because of the scammers, and I suppose until the mother is with the scammers it will not be repaired, but doing what I wrote can help.
This is my opinion and even if it proves to be not right, I think it´s good that we are talking about it, because at least we clarify the pros and cons of the interventions.

Wingman182
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Wingman182 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:26 pm

keira
Maybe you are right, maybe this is just pure addiction in the case of anewnash´s mother, and we have to deal with the fact that we cannot save everyone.
Yes this was a point I was trying to make. It's sad, but it dose happen. But even still I like to think there is always hope. You never know what the future will hold.

Keira
what if the scammers are threatening her, she would never admit it to her daughter, because she is afraid.
If true you could be right about the mother not sharing the threat with the daughter out of fear.
But unfortunately because this is not mentioned in the post this possibility is just an assumption.
As I had said in my previous post with victim support we have to work with what is in the post.
If not then we just start filling in the gaps based on our own experiences which very from victim to victim.
Example;
I could make an assumption that has some of it's bases from the post, but not all.
The mother gave anewnash her login information so the daughter could help block profiles that were harassing the mother.
This could suggest that the mother was aware they were scammers after all.
But the mother never mention the other three she was maintaining contact with. Why?
It could be said that two out of the three could have been a source of new excitement she needed in her life.

anewnash
A General who claimed to be an FBI agent.
Another claimed to be an agent working for the DOD
There is no specifics mention about what Ben Miles did. Should we also assume he brought some excitement to the table as well.
And if so could it have been this lack of excitement and adventure that was missing in the mothers life which lead her to leave her husband of more then 40 years?
Answer; It could have been, but we do not know this is how things really are. Why?
Answer: It's not written in the post.

keire as I said before I know your heart is in the right place and I also know you are trying to help other victims. This is why I am trying to help you now. There is another aspect of victim support.
“Patients.”
We have to work with what the poster tells us.
If the poster fills in some of the missing blanks, great. Then, if we can, we help with the new information.
But if we try and fill in those missing blanks ourselves and we are wrong.
We could end up doing more harm then good.

Now I hope I have not hurt your feelings. That is the last thing I would want to do.
I'm just trying to help you help others.

anewnash
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby anewnash » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:21 am

If I may offer some details that may help those who are trying to lend some support. My mother is Bi-polar and in 2005 we lost my sister, who suffered with the same disorder, to suicide. This is something that mom has struggled with ever since it happened. She has either spent money that she really didn't have or uses Facebook in an addictive manner to make herself feel better. She refuses to take the medicine prescribed by her doctors and refuses to see a therapist.

Now, Facebook had become a point of contention in my parent's marriage. Mom had begun to get up and run off to the other room for an hour or more at a time to talk. When she would return, dad says she would have a story about how sorry she felt for someone at church or work because her husband mistreats her so. They were going somewhere one evening and she left her phone on the bed and it chimed and came on. It was a message and the name that popped up was a man's name, Peter James Theodore, one of her scammers. One that she asked me to help her block. At this time she was still with dad. One week later, she had moved out, my wrecked his semi loaded with an anhydrous ammonia tank, and diagnosed with a brain aneurysm that needed operated on.

I have since learned about all of these scammers and that it has actually been going on since the end of last year. She gave me her login information for Facebook and asked for my help in blocking the names that she gave at the time. She could not understand why she was still seeing them when she had blocked them. It was not registering with her that they were creating new pages with the same name and or photos and coming at her again. I blocked one name she gave me 5 times! While I was in there blocking names, she got a message from one of her scammers to which she answered almost immediately because she is doing so from a smartphone and I was on my laptop. I was watching this conversation take place in real time. This particular conversation was with Nelson Manning. It was a new friend request with a soldier's image and she accepted, of course. This guy told her the General was his boss, that she didn't need to talk to him anymore. He was from Arizona but was stationed in Kabul on peacekeeping mission. That he loved her and could not wait to be married to her. He had a son, Michael Dotson. (10 yr old red headed boy- also stolen photo) He was calling her mommy and she was calling him son. He had a birthday coming up and had told her he wanted either an Xbox or PS4 and she told him to expect a surprise in the mail. I do not know if she really sent anything. I have not seen any conversations in which she has been threatened in any way. I have seen where they tell her that she does not need to tell anyone about their conversations but no threats. They usually try to get her switched over to WhatsApp to talk. I do not have access to that so I do not know about her activity there.

The Ben Miles character had not asked for any money as of the last conversation that I had seen before she cut me off. He had only fed her false information. The photos he is using are from Christian Ciocan, Romanian Police Commissioner. She asked for his address in one of their conversations and when I google mapped (street cameras) it, it turned out to be an empty lot with an orange fence around it as if it was just demolished or something.

I am happy to provide any information that I can to help fill in any blanks. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

keira
Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby keira » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:05 am

Hi Wingman182,
you absolutely don´t hurt my feelings, I appreciate very much your advice and I know I´m not experienced in victim support, so I consider your advice, I understand why you say we have to be patient, I have to learn and I thank you very much for advice.
I know that what I wrote is just pure fiction and I often derive them from my own or other victims´ experience, but all I wanted to say is, that things can be different than they seem to us, I wanted to show in few examples that it´s maybe a mistake if anewnash will ignore what her mother is doing and rely on her mother´s decision what to do with her life.

Anewnash,
maybe your mother knows many things, but maybe there are many things she doesn´t know and maybe exactly those things are the crucial information that would change her attitude to the whole thing. The fact that she wanted to block some scammers who harassed her does not prove that she knows they are organized criminals who destroy people´s lives. An annoying admirer and organized criminal is an entirely different thing. Also the fact that they were nice to her when you were in contact with her doesn´t prove they are still nice to her, and then even if there are not outright threats, sometimes it´s enough if there are hints or just the whole context implies that there is some threat, these scammers are manipulators, they know how to do it. But I don´t want to say your mother is threatened, I just want to say that we can´t know the whole truth, only your mother knows what is the content of the communication and what are her thoughts about it and her expectations. But if there is an FBI and DOD agent I think it´s very likely that she is manipulated to keep some secrets and if she believes they are really agents, I can´t imagine that she is without any tiny piece of fear. But again, I know it´s just what I think and it doesn´t necessarily correspond to reality, I´m just trying to advocate the mother and prevent the family from throwing her to the winds.
I want to add that I appreciate very much that you decided to involve yourself in public education about romance scam!

Return to “Support and Advice.”