It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:15 am    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Join our SCAM FREE DATING SITE
Readnotify - trace your emails, get IPs
Forum rules:

** PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

I think I might be involved with a scammer from Facebook

Emotional Support, Compassionate Friends
bflgurl
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby bflgurl » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:11 am

Hi all. I have been lurking here the past week, reading everything and trying to figure out if I am dealing with a scammer? He found me on Facebook about 2-1/2 months ago and we have exchanged nearly 200 emails (all through FB) and we have had 2 chats on Google. Our last chat (last night) ended up being very intimate and so today I am just sick thinking about who was on the other end of that chat? <cringe>

His back story is similar to stories here. He works on an oil rig. Had been in Saudi Arabia and then Dubai. He is going to Florida in 2 weeks and then will be going on a leave. He is planning to come and see me the second week of December. He came on pretty strong from day one. At first it was more telling me I'm beautiful, how much he respects me, etc. Then he started up with the baby, hun, and other pet names. I told him not to call me those kinds of names because it was too premature. But now I am letting him. He thinks he is in love with me but I have told him that you can't fall in love with someone you have never met in person. I told him that we were friends. I have been a bit suspicious about him from early on. He was just so eager to be in a relationship. And, he had an outlandish story about his parents dying in a car crash last Spring. He is an only child and was left to deal with his father's companies and the estates. He had no other family but his Grandmother in London. She had been extremely ill. He never has asked me for money. However, I felt he was going to when he told me that he was really worried about his Grandmother and that she was running low on money and he was having trouble getting money to her. I guess one day she had to be hospitalized and I thought ok, this is it, he is going to ask me to send him money. He didn't because I ended up telling him I had a Dr friend in London who would check in on her and make sure she is ok? I asked for the hospital name, her name, her doctor's name. Well, apparently she died the next day so he did not need my help.

He knows I have been leary of him. I have told him that I was. He said he really wants to do whatever he can to prove me wrong. He feels I just have trust issues because of my last bf. About a month ago I did exchange emails with one of his FB friends. She said that he had written her some romantic emails and that she was unsure about him. She said another FB friend of his emailed her and said she was skeptical and was not sure if his pics were really of him. I told him I heard he was writing similar emails and he said I was wrong. He had friends but it was just casual with them. That I was the only woman he wanted to be with. I have unfriended him on Facebook 3-4 times over my suspicions.

A week ago I had a friend of mine friend him and he started flirting with her and told her a different story about the will. I had been told it came out about a month ago but he was telling her it was coming out the following week. I confronted him about this, and told him this other person was a friend of mine, and he should try and get his story straight. He told me he did not know her well so he mentioned it only to see if she would be interested in him for him, rather than his money. He told me he flirted with her because he thought he had no chance with me.

He was quite upset I set him up. Said he felt like a tool and that I should not play with his emotions like this. I told him that I just needed to be sure about him.

He told me after all this that I have always been his first choice but he thought I was not that interested so that is why he moved on and that finding someone is so important to him. So, I gave him another chance. He has told me that he wants to marry me, that he loves me, etc. We do have some wonderful talks and he is growing on me. He does know that I still have my doubts. I have told him that if he is "real" and if the feelings are there when we meet, then yes, I can see us having a future together.

He has told me that there is a lot he has not told me about the will and the estates. That he is going to tell me today. I have told him that I will help him as much as I feel comfortable with but I will never send him money or do anything that involves bank accounts. That I will not bend on this.

So, he does have some grammar problems. Anytime he writes "Am" instead of "I am," I cringe. He has my phone number and said he has tried calling me a few times. He hasn't left a message. He has never emailed me outside of Facebook, although he does know my gmail address since we have chatted.

He comes across like he adores me. The attention is flattering and I keep thinking well maybe it's just a coincidence he is on an oil rig like so many scammers. I have grown very fond of him. But, I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I worry that he is targetting me because of my job and he sees me as having a great lifestyle. My information on the internet is very transparent. I am easy to find. I have 5000 friends on FB and yes noticed a few of the photos here on my friends list, which I promptly blocked. I had my Facebook account, itunes and Paypal accounts hacked during the last few months.

Honestly, I am sure you all think I should just drop him. But, I just want to be 100% sure before I do that. Because I am falling for him, and may very likely end up a fool, or already am one.

That's my story. Just trying to figure things out. I can't find anything on the internet on him with regards to his pictures, email reverse look-up, etc. And he has not emailed me at a place where I can get a header. I may push for him to call me. Any thoughts on this?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ralph Warner
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Re: I think I might be involved with a scammer from Facebook

Postby Ralph Warner » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:38 am

He works on an oil rig. Had been in Saudi Arabia and then Dubai.

He is going to Florida in 2 weeks and then will be going on a leave.

He is planning to come and see me the second week of December.

He came on pretty strong from day one.

At first it was more telling me I'm beautiful,

Then he started up with the baby, hun, and other pet names.

I have been a bit suspicious about him from early on.

He was just so eager to be in a relationship.

story about his parents dying in a car crash last Spring.

He is an only child and was left to deal with his father's companies and the estates.

He had no other family but his Grandmother in London. She had been extremely ill.

He never has asked me for money. However, I felt he was going to when he told me that he was really worried about his Grandmother and that she was running low on money and he was having trouble getting money to her.

No doubt its a scammer but you haven't quite proven it yet.

Post an email address and somebody else may be able to find the IP ;)

Meanwhile, stop all contact and ask your friends to as well, anything you or your friends tell him could help him to scam somebody else.

A scammer having your real life details is not ideal but dont be too concerned, he will likely attempt other scams on you but so long as you ignore any unusual emails, phone calls or letters you will be fine.

Keep reading around, post some more details of this scammer and if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask
"Thou shall read thy FAQ" CLICK HERE for salvation
Has your scammer sent you to any websites, it may have been fake.

bflgurl
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby bflgurl » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:43 am

Geez, I sure wish I was not in this state of limbo with him. I am on high alert with everything he says. He apparently is still working and said it was after 4am right now and wants to chat with me later after he is done working. I checked the time in Dubai (where he claims he is) and it is 5:40 am. I checked Nigeria and it is 2:40 am. Hmmm. Also, told me I mean the world to him.

Ok, sometimes when he emails me there are weird symbols inserted into his message. Anyone know what that is? I could cut and paste what I mean if you want.

bflgurl
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby bflgurl » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:53 am

I have three email addresses for him. But, I am concerned that this might get back to him being that it is a public forum. Two of the email addresses are his full name. Is it safe to post the emails here?

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby FrumpyBB » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:16 am

Nigerian romance scammers, generally = almost always, use massmail formats. Please post the email addies.
Unless you yourself tell him you have "busted " him, or use a nick here that directs to your real life self, he won´t know what went wrong if afterwards you just go quiet on him :)
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

duckhunter
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby duckhunter » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:22 am

Welcome bflgurl. Although there is no doubt that you're dealing with a scammer, if it will make you more comfortable post his details in our Pending section, which is hidden from Google. From there we'll get the absolute proof that you want.

In the meantime, please stop all contact with him, as advised by Ralph. Your suspicions and questions are only serving to give him practice at lying and make him a better scammer. If he's already very good, you could be drawn back in even deeper. It happens more than you can imagine.
Help us keep scammers stupid Post his details here to warn others, then walk away without explanation. Confrontation alerts scammers & makes them change their identities...which makes all your hard work outdated. It messes with their minds if they don't know why you walked away.

bflgurl
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby bflgurl » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:01 am

If I go to the pending area is it ok to post his email addresses and his Facebook profile link? Is that enough? I have almost 200 emails that we have shared but do you need those right now? I am suppose to chat with him on Google in an hour. I feel I need to 100% know before I cease all contact. Maybe I am being dilusional thinking there is a chance he is "real?" I am sure you've heard this all before.

izziever
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby izziever » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:07 am

Frumpy and Duckhunter are right, you are dealing with a scammer. I know it's hard, but they are right and you must stop all contact with him.
DO YOU FEEL LUCKY MUGU?? WELL, DO YA?

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:35 am

Go chat with him some more. You must feel the need to prolong the agony. We know for a fact he's a scammer and you do too, you just don't want to face it yet.

Just do us a favor and not confront him with your suspicions! Agree with all he says. He's probably not going to ask you for money at this point because of all you've accused him of thus far. He might keep coming up with desperate circumstances and wait for you to offer money, but I get the feeling because of your mention of intimate chat, that he's going to steer you to more sex talk and try to get embarrassing pictures from you. I think all he has left open at this point is blackmail. This is a last ditch trick up the scammer's sleeve.

But you gotta ask yourself this question: Why is he able to waste so much time with you still now that you've assured him he's not going to get money from you? The answer your conscience needs to hear is this: He's got other women in his scammy pipeline. They're probably at various stages, some might even be paying out right now. Are you going to give others a chance to break free and maybe save themselves money and heart break, or are you going to continue to protect the slimy little maggot?
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.

bflgurl
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby bflgurl » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:00 am

I put him over in the pending section.

You are harsh, Pinky. I do not know for sure if he is a scammer. That is why I am here to get some help. I am suspicious. I have been reading this forum and do see some similarities with some of the stories. But, I am not totally convinced yet. I want to be certain. He is not getting money out of me, he won't get pictures out of me. I just want proof.

izziever
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby izziever » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:08 am

Pinky may be harsh, but she is dead right. This guy is a scammer. I didn't want to believe it either but the people here have a lot of knowledge and you really should take their advice.
DO YOU FEEL LUCKY MUGU?? WELL, DO YA?

geecee
Very Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby geecee » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:22 am

Hi bflgurl. Placing the report in the pending section is safe. You're finding can be moved to the forum later. What a shame you're unable to look at a header because it would give more info as to the origin. In many instances if the header is forged or altered, that is a good indication of a scam.
Have you been given a phone number? If the individual supplies you with one of those redirect phone numbers beginning with 4470, it's a 99% chance of being a scam I'm afraid.

duckhunter
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby duckhunter » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:26 am

bflgurl, please understand how frustrating it is, when a total of at least 15 years of experience between us tells you "he's a scammer, please protect yourself and future victims" ... and you think you know better. Then you march off and do exactly what we've just advised you not to do.

You do know he's a scammer. Your intuition has been telling you for a while. You just wish it wasn't so .... and you'd be surprised at how well we understand that. But that won't stop us from trying to keep your from further pain and abuse.

The moderators have full time jobs yet put in hours every day because they care. When their firm yet gentle advice is ignored they tend to turn up the volume a bit, hoping to get your attention. You can call that harsh if you wish.
Help us keep scammers stupid Post his details here to warn others, then walk away without explanation. Confrontation alerts scammers & makes them change their identities...which makes all your hard work outdated. It messes with their minds if they don't know why you walked away.

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:01 am

Yeah, I'm harsh. I'm annoyed that you're protecting both him and your possible discomfort if he happened to find he's posted here. No one else he's scamming is going to find him in pending. But don't worry, we'll do the job for you, we'll get the info in the next day or so and we'll post him up in White Males, where he should have been last week. Then you can grovel and beg his forgiveness and blame it all on us. Make us the bad guys.

Go over to General and peruse the Sammers4Real thread. See the faces of these little boys who pretend to be men to get your money. That's who you've been intimately sharing your feelings of love with. Bah!

I need to go eat ice cream. This stuff makes me bitchy.
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.

bflgurl
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby bflgurl » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:27 am

I am just looking for proof. I am not trying to protect him or me of any discomfort. And, there will be no grovelling or begging for his forgiveness. I have no qualms about shutting down all contact forever. I have seen the Scammers4Real pics. Disgusting. I hope you can find the info. I mean that. By the way, I have a whole list of men I feel are scammers on my Facebook block list. I normally can spot them quickly. I honestly had no idea this kind of thing was going on until recently. It was eye opening to go through the pictures of scammers that are here and realize that a few were current Facebook friends of mine. Do you want me to list these guys anywhere?

Return to “Support and Advice.”