It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:44 am    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Join our SCAM FREE DATING SITE
Readnotify - trace your emails, get IPs
Forum rules:

** PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

I think I might be involved with a scammer from Facebook

Emotional Support, Compassionate Friends
duckhunter
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Re: I think I might be involved with a scammer from Facebook

Postby duckhunter » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:54 am

As for your present scammer, we're on it. A couple of us have sent tracked emails to him, but chances are that Red Zora will be the one who gets it ... they always like her better :cry: . Which reminds me ... there's a problem with the yahoo addie in pending. Perhaps you could double check that.

Your welcome email or FAQ will guide you through the process of posting new scammers, but it isn't safe for you to bait/catch them with your real life details. While scammers won't hop a plane to come and physically harm you, there are things they can do to make your life difficult if they know who you are.
Help us keep scammers stupid Post his details here to warn others, then walk away without explanation. Confrontation alerts scammers & makes them change their identities...which makes all your hard work outdated. It messes with their minds if they don't know why you walked away.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ralph Warner
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Ralph Warner » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:15 am

For now, we just want as much information as you can post about this scammer, we dont need or want you posting your own details or anything the scammer may have said that is specific to you, such as if he asked how your dog was doing, we do however need to see the love poems he sent you, I would bet my RS pay for the year that we will find them posted elsewhere.

We also need the early messages, they will have been sent to many people and again, searching on them should give us results.

The email address will help others to find this information as well as allow our baiters to gather more information and the all important proof.

The chat transcripts where he is talking about his sick Granny and then when he told you she died, he will try these same lies on somebody else and if they read here that he has told you the same lies previously then they will know that its a scammer also.

Please, dont be concerned that he may not be a scammer, we would not have suggested he is without knowing, our reputation is important to us and we are not wrong.

Please understand that while we may seem bitchy and shitty, we have been down this same road many times, sometimes the could be vic goes back and tells the scammer all about it, other times they just disapear then there are the times when the next victim completes the picture for us.

Eventually though, they all realise we were right.
Stop writing to the scammer, stop worrying that he may be real and if you dont mind, save us the worry and start posting the details ;)
"Thou shall read thy FAQ" CLICK HERE for salvation
Has your scammer sent you to any websites, it may have been fake.

bflgurl
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby bflgurl » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:53 pm

Ok, I am convinced. I started going through all his emails to me and he clearly asked me for money for his Grandmother at one point. I don't know why I thought that he had only alluded to it. I did call him out a few times telling him that I thought he was a scammer. He always had a good come back though.

I have only chatted with him twice on Google chat. All the emails are from Facebook. I also have the emails he sent to my friend. So, I would be happy to share those as well. I do want to nail this guy. Should I put them in the pending area?

Yesterday I was really hoping that he was legit because I had just engaged in sex chatting with the creep the night before. The thought of who really was on the other side of that chat repulses me. But, now I am facing reality. I know he is a scammer.

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:12 pm

Add what you wish to the pending thread and he'll be moved out to White Males, probably sometime today. The most important thing that needs be added right now is a valid email address. A Yahoo email address is most important because we can get his IP address more easily. You have listed his email addy as a yahoomail.com, which doesn't seem right. It's either going to be a yahoo.com or a ymail.com. Also, if you've used google chat with him, he has a 'username'@gmail.com account as well. Oh, and you should be able to get his email address that he's used for facebook, too. These guys have dozens of email addresses and profiles, both male and female. Eventually one of them usually leads back to the real guy. These African scammers love the internet and can't help exposing their real selves somewhere. I'll bet we find him.
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.

bflgurl
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby bflgurl » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:13 pm

I checked and that yahoo address was the one he gave me. I posted his gmail email and rocketmail email in pending. Last night he wrote to me that he lost my phone number and really wants to call me.

I could give it to him and ask him for his number and explain that I normally won't answer calls that I am not sure of and want to make sure I answer his call. But, then again, I kind of like the fact he can't find my phone number.

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:39 pm

Don't give him your number. He will drive you insane ringing it at all hours of the night. It's another tactic to break down defenses. They like to catch you half asleep.

Have you talked to him on the phone before? The reason why they concoct bizarre background histories that always involve international parentage is because nearly all of them have thick African accents. They use their fake culturally mixed upbringing to excuse their poor English skills. I've read your guys writing. Take it from me, an American and former high school English teacher, your guy is a very young (not over 21) African who speaks and writes a mixture of internet lingo and pidgin English.

Ask him for his direct line phone number and tell him you'll call him at a time he specifies so that he can't use the lame excuse of work not allowing calls. Of course you should not really call him. Instead you should post it with his thread of evidence that we're building.
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.

bflgurl
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby bflgurl » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:51 pm

I gave him my phone number a few weeks ago. He has said he has tried to call me but has never left a message. I have had a few blocked calls. He asked for my phone number last night and this morning again in an email to me. He said he lost it. We have never spoken on the phone.

I will ask for his #.

bflgurl
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby bflgurl » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:57 pm

OK, done . . . asked him for his number and to let me know when to call him. Told him I could not wait to FINALLY hear his sexy voice. (puke)

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:16 pm

You probably still won't here his voice. Right now he's trying to get one of his gang with the most credible English speaking voice, to call you. That's one reason why they don't like you to be able to spontaneously call them. And he calls from a blocked number because his country code is most likely 234, Nigeria.

Oh! One thing I wanted to add before we go much farther: He's going to come to the conclusion that his scam is exposed and give up on you . . . but don't think he'll give up easily. The next tactic (if not blackmail) will most likely be his confession that he wasn't completely honest with you but he'll promise to not lie to you anymore (he'll still hedge all around your direct questions) because he has discovered that he truly loves you. He will then spoon feed you tiny details like, maybe that's not his real picture, or maybe he's quite a bit younger than you, or maybe he really is African - but all the while he will still insist that he truly and deeply has come to love only you.

Don't bite for ANY of it. It's all still lies. Next he hopes he can turn this into a 'help me get to you' scam. It's just a continuation of begging for money. And he will beg a lot. This is one of the reasons why we insist 'CEASE CONTACT.' Some women actually fall back into the pit.

bflgurl
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby bflgurl » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:34 pm

okay . . . I got his number. Will post it in pending.

red zora
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby red zora » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:00 pm

bflgurl, I know both parts... being a victim of a scammer and being a scamfighter
...if you have a bad feeling in your stomach so don't listen to your heart....I always had a bad inner feeling but I wanted not believe this.So I begun a search to proof my heart my stomach (inner feeling) is wrong. After 3 times I have send money to my scammer I begun listen to my inner feeling (stomach)....if someting is not agreeing with your heart...so be careful. My stomach has won the fight, not my heart ;)
http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... 9&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IMPORTANT INFORMATION!!!
http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... =72&t=5149" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LEAVE YOUR SCAMMER WITHOUT WORDS,TELL HIM NOTHING!!!
How to use this board? Have a look here
http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=18&t=63" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bflgurl
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby bflgurl » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:12 am

Red Zora-I understand that. My gut feeling from early on was that something was off with this guy. But, he was always very sweet, attentive and kind. He first emailed me the day after I had broken things off with someone else and it was not a good break-up. So, he found me when I was feeling quite fragile and vulnerable. Even though I have been skeptical about scammer guy, I was still holding onto that slim chance he was real. So, today I am feeling blue. And, I think it is just knowing he was not sincere and was playing me.

Yesterday I felt somewhat guilty exposing him and I don't really understand why I felt that way? I really want other women to be aware of his antics. I got off easy. I never sent him money. I told him I never would. But, I did get emotionally involved. And, I wasted a lot of time on him, that could have been much better spent.

Yesterday I am pretty sure he realized something was up. I was gone most of the day and he got a little bit panicky last night when he could not reach me. I have not totally pulled the plug on him yet. But, I intend to very soon, no doubt tonight. Don't worry, I would never out this site or decide to continue on with him. I know he is scheming up something today. He emailed me this morning that he fell at work and really hurt his back so he is going to a clinic to get it X-rayed. He hasn't tried to get a hold of me for about 8 hours so I know I will no doubt here that he was mugged on the way to the clinic or that he has to have back surgery and wants $ or something. And, at that point I just to tell him to go to Hell. Then block all contact.

But, I am feeling blue and don't really want to talk to family or friends about my feelings.

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:57 am

It is going to be rough the next few weeks, for sure. Venting here often helps people or there's always our chat room to fill the void. Just bear in mind that the reason he will want to keep you on the hook now is to pick up clues about how much you know and how you learned it. He wants to close the doors he left open with you so that he doesn't make the same mistakes again. In other words, you might be educating him to be a better scammer. Be careful.

MsDizzy
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby MsDizzy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:06 am

Everything everyone is telling you is right, 22yrs experience dealing with these guys on a dayly basis. I always get them to send me an email if I am unsure, yahoo has a place where you can get the header, then I go check it with a iptracker, 9/10 times they are not where they say, and are in Africa. Any picture of him you have I can guarantee will not be him, the men & women get most of the pictures from modelling sites, post and say it them. If you want to send me an email here with his address, I will see what I can find out for you, it's up to you, but proof or not, he IS a scammer. :liar:

By the way, I have never been on Facebook or any of those social sites, my privacy is important, dating sites yes, but they have become so easy to pick the "false" men it is just rediculous, most of them cannot even spell...lol

bflgurl
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby bflgurl » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:41 pm

I really appreciate this website. You have no idea. I officially pulled the plug on him this morning. I blocked him on Facebook and reported him. I also put every Facebook Friend I have, that I have not met in person, on a restricted list so I can go through them. I have close to 5K FB friends. I have a job where I do a lot of networking on FB so that is why I have so many.

I also blocked him from being able to chat with me on Google.

Last night I did chat with him. I put some updates about this on the "White Male" thread. He had told me that he had hurt is back was going to a clinic that day. I did not hear from him all day. But, last night he got on chat and it was like he did not even remember telling me that. I felt like I was chatting with someone new. This guy did not have a clue, made no sense in his chatting and could not answer simple questions. A bit later it seemed like someone else got on the chat, the person I normally email/chat with.

I was surprised that there was no mugging on the way to the clinic, he did not need emergency surgery or anything like that. I think he was done with the idea that he would ever get money out of me and was trying to go down the blackmail path by suggesting sex chat on a webcam. He told me he was going to borrow a laptop but the camera did not work that well on it. I told him that would never happen.

He kept telling me how much he loved me. That he would never hurt me. That he would never let me go. He refers to me as his fiance, even though I have never said I loved him.

I was going to tell him off but instead I just pulled the plug this morning with no explaination.

I am bracing for him finding my phone number and calling or trying to email me. I'm glad he is blocked on FB and can't chat with me.

I really just want to put this behind me as fast as possilbe. I am not longer sad. Now I am mad.

Return to “Support and Advice.”