It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:44 am    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Join our SCAM FREE DATING SITE
Readnotify - trace your emails, get IPs
Forum rules:

** PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

I think I might be involved with a scammer from Facebook

Emotional Support, Compassionate Friends
bflgurl
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: I think I might be involved with a scammer from Facebook

Postby bflgurl » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:12 am

Thought I'd post an update . . . After pouring through this website I had assumed that it would be challenging for scammers to find themselves here. I was wrong. By simply googling their name it links them back to all the postings about them. This actually helps them to figure out what they may do better next time. This was the case with the guy I had reported here. If you google his name this website is linked to his name. Let's just say he tracked me down and is livid with me. If it protects one person from falling into his trap then I guess the pain this has caused me over the last 12 hours with him furious was all worth it.

I did have someone step forward and email me yesterday whom he scammed. She was setting up bank accounts for him, posing as his wife. She emailed me a copy of his Father's will and it was such an obvious fake. The attorney for the will is associated with other scams posted on the Internet. I really want this to just be behind me. I had another woman tonight tell me that he was also cozying up to her. They are coming out of the wood work.

This has really hurt me deeply. I just feel so betrayed even though I was lucky and never loss any money. I have definitely learned my lesson.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:34 am

Scammers do get in here on rare occasions but African IP addresses are blocked so it is difficult for them. I actually like it when they do find themselves here - especially when they post because it give me great pleasure to roast them, curse them and insult everything about them. But admin here just ban them and sometimes put their more asinine remarks in Mugu Says.

More than likely all your boy saw was the Google description of the link. He knows he's exposed. Yay!! that some of his other victims found out. You saved them. You should at least feel good about that. Perhaps the reason you're feeling otherwise is because you gave him the time to listen to his rants. Why did you, is a question you should be asking yourself. Do you feel you need more punishment for some reason?

This ain't never gonna be over until you say so. How long you suffer with it is all up to you.
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.

bflgurl
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby bflgurl » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:42 am

No, he was able to read my postings. He saw more than the Google description. He saw what was written about the phone and the redirect number and he saw that I had posted some of our early emails.

And, Pinky . . . you are right. I need to ask myself why I would even listen to him? I am happy that others were helped from my postings. But, I think I need to go journal about that question. I honestly am unsure as to why?

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:50 am

Well, it doesn't happen often but they can get in via proxy. We don't lose sleep over the few. You shouldn't lose any sleep over your motivations either. We've seen so much of it here. While people do handle things slightly different, mostly it's the same stages of grief that everyone passes through. I'm guessing that you're not quite done beating yourself up over letting the guy sucker you in, in the first place. You will get over that soon. The next stage, I predict is anger. You're going to get royally pissed at the little cockroach. THAT is entirely justified and in the end, I think you'll feel better when your emotional volcano finally erupts.
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.

duckhunter
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby duckhunter » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:17 am

bflgurl, if what Pinky has just said is true -- you're not done with this for whatever reason -- please send me a pm. Izziever and I can always find the time to help you get a little revenge. It isn't wise for you to do it directly but we can set up a scenario for you to have some entertainment at his expense.

Whatever you do though, do not do this alone. Let us help you or don't do it at all.
Help us keep scammers stupid Post his details here to warn others, then walk away without explanation. Confrontation alerts scammers & makes them change their identities...which makes all your hard work outdated. It messes with their minds if they don't know why you walked away.

izziever
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby izziever » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:35 am

Why yes, bfgurl, I would be delighted to help duckhunter with this slimy little cockroach. It would be my pleasure! :D
DO YOU FEEL LUCKY MUGU?? WELL, DO YA?

SlapHappy

Bookmark and Share

Postby SlapHappy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:53 am

bflgurl,

So, you want to put this all behind you? I have a simple solution. DROP HIM ALREADY!!, and hand him off to Ducky and Izzy here. Do not ask either of them what's going on with the turd. Trust that they will make him suffer. And Ducky and Izyy, don't tell blfgurl what you are doing to him.
Answer all emails from any victims or potential victims associated with your scammers with the same reply.
Remember some of these "victims" could be the scammers trying to test you. Since he knows he's posted about here, no harm if he gets another slap.:
Dear victims
"Please drop him, and everyone associated with him. They are all scammers. Do not respond in any way, any further. Please refer to "Romancescam.com post number associated with the scammer, and THIS thread as well (This victim support thread.) I do not want you to go through anything that I went through.
If you need help, please go to romancescam.com and post in the thread yourself.
Regards, bflgurl
Then, SEND THIS AS A RESPONSE BACK EVERY TIME to every single email you get from other victims. Answer no specific or personal questions at all, just rinse and repeat, and only resend the same email again until all the emails stop.

Stop beating yourself up, and start healing. It's about time to start now.
Last edited by Arabian Nights on Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: single pictures to here

2cool
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby 2cool » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:16 pm

Hi :)

I have gone through the same thing last week, bflgurl. And i totally understand what you are experiencing. All the way. Your common sense knows what is going on now. But your emotions are slower than your intellectual sense. That is what happened in my situation. You have a conflict in your mind now i think. There fore, while you are confused and hurt, you will do irrational things such as trying to get him back because you miss him. But do your self the favor of putting him/her/them on ice for a week. It sounds cold, but it will let you let you have time to think and get a distance to it all :)
If you take him/her/them back you will be dragged back into the scam again with new and more complicated lies.

bflgurl
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby bflgurl » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:31 pm

He is now officially blocked on Facebook and cannot find me there or email. He is also blocked on my Gmail chat. I just got a brand new phone number that he has. I don't have a phone hooked up to it yet. He did have that new # but I am disconnecting it tomorrow. He does not know my address. But, he knows the city I live in and work. He could easily find me again if he wanted. I am very transparent on the internet because I am a Realtor.

Yesterday I had this young African boy try and friend me on Facebook. I took a look at his profile and was thinking, is this the real Drake? There was a couple of older men that were commenting on all his photos and what a beautiful boy he is, etc. One in particular was especially creepy telling him how much he loved him etc. I was just thinking that maybe these other older men were the bosses and this young kid was part of their gang. This kid had maybe 75 Facebook friends. 45 were other African boys and the creepy older men. But, 30 were MY mutual friends on Facebook, nearly all other Realtors. I just thoought it was terribly odd that this kid would have Realtors as his FB friends. Anyway, I did not accept his friend request. DUH. But, I just had this creepy feeling about him being the face behind all this.

And, I don't really need to get revenge on him but thanks for the offer Duckhunter and Izzi. I just want to put this behind me. 2Cool-your post made complete sense to me. Also, it is good to get a male perspective here too. I like the automated response to give to other FB "friends" of his. The other woman that he was trying to get to set him up with a bank account is a real person. I am certain of that. But, the one from last night - well, who knows?

I am feeling better today. He is leaving me alone. He could email me on gmail but hasn't. I may close that account but I have so much associated with it that I just want to wait and see if he tries to contact me there. If not, I will hold onto that account. He has never emailed me there, only chatted with me. And, if he does contact me I will not respond. I AM DONE!!!!!

bflgurl
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby bflgurl » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:34 pm

Oh, just thinking that you might not be a man, Slaphappy? You just have a male pic. lol. Well, thanks for your feedback regardless. lol

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:50 pm

You'll be suspicious and jump to conclusions about a lot of people for awhile, I'm afraid. It really does get easier to sift through contacts and spot the ones with bad intentions, after awhile. You most likely will never discover the real face of the person who scammed you, however. One thing is guaranteed, you'll never meet him face to face, so my advice is not to let this incident cloud your judgment about people you meet in regards to your work. For instance you have absolutely nothing to fear if persons from Africa contact you for the purpose of buying property - and my experience has been it's best not to even ask real life Africans about the scams going on over there. They generally get very defensive about it. Honest Africans distance themselves from the dishonest ones and one of the reasons this 'career choice' is so prevalent there is that those not involved tend to ignore it like it's not happening.

SlapHappy

Bookmark and Share

Postby SlapHappy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:51 am

Oh, just thinking that you might not be a man, Slaphappy? You just have a male pic. lol. Well, thanks for your feedback regardless. lol
Now, why would you think that? :thinking: Do I possess some female traits that you would like to mention? :-? I'm all ears, and a bit curious. ;) :)

It wouldn't hurt to warn your 30 Realtor friends about "love scammers" on FB when you feel up to it. You don't have to go into any details with them, or even say that you were a victim. Just say, "A few of these love scammers are sending me messages and asking for money. Everyone that asks for money on the internet is a scammer, did you know that?" You might directly or indirectly help save another person. :)

Keep your chin up, and keep looking ahead. :)

bflgurl
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby bflgurl » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:40 pm

Slaphappy-I used to be on another forum years ago where there was a Slaphappy and it was a woman. So, that is why I thought well, maybe? And, I have nearly 5,000 FB friends and probably 75% are other Realtors whom I network with. I have been open on FB that I have had issues with a hacked account and psychos. I even had a scammer discussion last week openly on FB. I put 95% of my FB friends on a restricted list for awhile there. I took everyone off that last night. I just decided I am not going to live my life paranoid.

I have a date this Saturday with someone I thought was normal. He is in my industry. We have lots of mutual friends. I have emailed him and talked to him on the phone for a year. We have never met in person yet. However, late last night he wrote on my FB wall that I am his dream angel and it really freaked me out. That would be something my scammer boy would say. Ug. I just want to meet a normal guy. Is that too much to ask?

Firefly-I know that I will probably be a bit paranoid for awhile, even though I don't want to be. I prefer to be cautious. And, I would be happy to sell real estate to anyone from Africa.

My scammer is leaving me alone. I honestly think that he is done. I know he was very angry that he was on this site. And, his months of setting things up with some of the other women all blew up in his face when he was exposed. I am sure there are other women in his pipeline. I am glad I'm not one of them.

red zora
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby red zora » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:42 pm

Sorry when I answer too late

So, he found me when I was feeling quite fragile and vulnerable.
This is WHY he picked you up. At first they ask how you live, where you live, divorced,single and so on and what happened to you and THEN They know how to push the right buttons on you like BRAINWASHING

Meeting someone for real without paying some money for him to get him over to you....meet him....but EVERYONE who will ask you for money, you NEVER met face to face before is ALWAYS a scammer. ;)
IMPORTANT INFORMATION!!!
http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... =72&t=5149" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LEAVE YOUR SCAMMER WITHOUT WORDS,TELL HIM NOTHING!!!
How to use this board? Have a look here
http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=18&t=63" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

duckhunter
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby duckhunter » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:49 pm

We have never met in person yet. However, late last night he wrote on my FB wall that I am his dream angel and it really freaked me out.
After what you've been through, nobody could blame you for freaking out. The one thing most of us take away from our experiences with scammers is that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Who knows though, he might just be a really sweet guy. To be safe, it would be wise to follow normal precautions ... meet him in a public place and don't let him know where you live until you know him better. You've had enough problems lately ...
Help us keep scammers stupid Post his details here to warn others, then walk away without explanation. Confrontation alerts scammers & makes them change their identities...which makes all your hard work outdated. It messes with their minds if they don't know why you walked away.

Return to “Support and Advice.”