It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:31 am    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Join our SCAM FREE DATING SITE
Readnotify - trace your emails, get IPs
Forum rules:

** PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

Why is he still doing it? Why can´t he be caught?

Emotional Support, Compassionate Friends
FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Re: Why is he still doing it? Why can´t he be caught?

Postby FrumpyBB » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:57 am

Hi Monika :)
Just start in White Males, we will look from there if necessary :)
What needs to be reported:
Where you met them, where they claim to be from, email addresses, email headers, photos, phone numbers, copies of their emails/IMs to you, money requests.
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

Sponsor

Sponsor

Keerasel
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Keerasel » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:55 pm

I read these posts with great sadness, especially for the women who have opened their hearts to these people; and relief that I realized early on about these scammers.... simple rule, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Any time I got messaged on a site by some guy who looked like a model, it set off an alarm. The vague descriptions are a big tip off, and it seems they use the same verbiage over and over, because it works. Protect yourself, do your homework, ask questions - and if the grammar and sentence structure isn't good, then you know that you're dealing with a criminal. I feel bad for the guy who's had his identity stolen - from what I understand, he's married, with kids.... and was a model at some point which is how his picture was usurped. One thing that SHOULD change in the internet world is a way to protect photographs from being copied and used again and again. Considering how advanced technology is currently, that wouldn't seem to be that hard...

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:38 pm

Hi Keerasel and welcome. I must say it is always a happy day when someone posts that they realized early on that they were being scammed. I do believe that this occurs more often than not, but many people don't bother to post, they just move on. It's admirable that you not only caught on but came to help warn others. Thank you. However, there are just a few minor details in your warnings, that I'd like to make clear.
. . . if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Scammers are usually dumba$$ kids who make lots of mistakes. However there are many who are professionals that also have a team of dumba$$ kids in training who do a lot of the preliminary setups for the professionals. Under professional guidance and leadership, their mistakes are not so obvious. To simplify, scammers don't always make it seem too good to be true.
Any time I got messaged on a site by some guy who looked like a model, it set off an alarm.
This is not usually the case. Scammers often choose images of people that most would consider ordinary looking. They learned early on - like about 10 years ago - that a 50 year old, middle aged woman, is very likely to get suspicious if the guy presents modeling or professional pictures. If you look through our galleries, you will see that scam reports of model's images are some of our oldest reports. Now days the favored male image is a military officer. They're always clean cut looking and the profession is credible and trustworthy.
The vague descriptions are a big tip off, and it seems they use the same verbiage over and over, because it works.
This is about half true. The noobie scam-boys will use the same verbiage. Their English skills are limited so they do a lot of copy and paste. But beware - there are plenty of pros who can speak and write English well and some who can very neatly obscure their African accent when talking on the phone. And as for their profiles, it is very easy for the good ones to spot a well written profile from a legitimate single person and copy and paste it into their own. (One mistake that even the professionals sometimes make though, is copying the wrong gender's verbiage and overlooking some gender specific words. I love it when a White Male scammer's profile says something like, "I love passionately kissing my man," or talks about giving birth. Still, if that's buried deep in a profile, a victim might not notice it.)
One thing that SHOULD change in the internet world is a way to protect photographs from being copied and used again and again. Considering how advanced technology is currently, that wouldn't seem to be that hard...
This will never happen. As soon as someone comes up with something to protect an image or text, a dozen others will develop ways to circumvent that protection. It is the nature of the internet. The most important thing that can be done is for dating and social media sites to compare images - which is fairly easy to do with Google Image Search and our own ScamDigger and ELIMINATE the fake profiles as soon as they're reported. However fake profiles are still regarded as inventory by most dating sites and if the dating sites clean house of the fakes, they will have little to show their customers - which would put them out of business. Money drives the internet.

Our best line of defense is to educate potential victims. You're now fairly well educated and protected but I bet you could think of a half dozen women in your family and social circle, who might not be. Will you share this information with them?

Thanks again for posting.
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.

mysterylady
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby mysterylady » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:28 am

I went through the same experience but was not smart enough to realize he was a scammer until it was too late.

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:40 am

It has nothing to do with smart. You can say naive, innocent, trusting, vulnerable, supportive, compassionate and a dozen other good and positive adjectives, but never stupid. Anyone who reads your posts can see that you are intelligent. You were just caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.

mysterylady
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby mysterylady » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:15 am

Pinky: Thank you. This experience has been a real education. As a result, I have helped a family member avoid being scammed by advising what steps to take.

Lbrb
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Lbrb » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:25 pm

I know how it feels to be a victim. I was a couple of days too late. I should have followed my instict and instead I listened to friends who told me to make an exemption this time and where that got me I became a victim. Sometimes it may not be good to listen to your friends who wants you so bad to settle down because you'll end up ignoring the signs or at least for a while.

I used TinEye on his photo and that's how I caught him. I had confronted him and of course he denied. I can say that the email writer was a smart one, but he had a terrible accent that made me feel it didn't match with his picture. He used the same photo of the man who call himself Brendan Lucas and he now call himself Roland Bastian. He is older now and even have a photo in Malaysia to match his story. It's a sad thing, but he gave me a lesson not to be too trusting.

mysterylady
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby mysterylady » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:51 am

Me also. I ignored the red flags. When I googled his e-mail address and discovered he was a scammer, I was very angry and felt betrayed. He was so convincing and I believed his lies. they make their living by stealing from victims.

batmom12
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby batmom12 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:05 pm

I too fell in love with this man or picture I should say. Even after knowing that this was not real I could not grasp that I could be that stupid. But when he ask for money that told me all. I suffered a broken heart, low self esteem and depression. But I have since picked myself up and am not going to let this man or whoever get me down. It's hard to believe especially when they make you feel so loved and wanted to think they can play with your emotions and never think twice about it. Hope one day he will get his just. :( :( :shock: :mad: :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :heartbroken: :heartbroken:

WolfyDashSoloGamer
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby WolfyDashSoloGamer » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:50 pm

I also have been scammed having been caught at a very low time in my life ,having just lost my Son and my Daughter three years before. What makes it worse is I told my scammer all of this. I have set my privacy security settings so that only I can see my friends in the hope this will protect their photo's.

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby Igulinka » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:46 am

So Sorry Wolfy . Those worse of the worse evils are sociopaths sand very often terrorists or terrorism supporters. They fell nothing except anger if they don't defraud a victim and happiness if they do.
Please do not think about them anymore. They are not worth another thought. Sit back , enjoy what you have and let Karma serve them what they deserve. While you can keep your head high they walk away in possession of all the pain that they cost us. They will judged for each of our teardrop. Be well.
Confronting the scammer is WRONG!!! DON'T enlighten criminals with your wisdom. REPORT & BLOCK.
PHOTO VICTIM - "Do not confront the owner of the pictures, as they are victims themselves! You will only serve to further the terror and harm !" Silence Is Golden!!! I speak Polish.

Wingman182
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Wingman182 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:04 pm

Hello Wolfy and welcome to R.S.
I am deeply sorry that you have encountered one of these low life criminals. But please, try and take some comfort in knowing that you are not alone.
These vermin are highly trained and swooping in on a potential victim while they are hurting, or feeling vulnerable is nothing new here. In fact it's quit common among us. It's just so unfortunate that for you it was opening up to them about the loss of your children. I know how deeply that hurts, and how easy it is to reopen those wound.
All of us here also understand how painful this kind of betrayal cuts to the core. Not only have you opened up yourself about something so close to your heart. You have also opened up you and your trust. You had put your faith in someone who in the end turned out to be nothing but a fake in every possible way. His name and everything about him is fake and his photos are stolen from some other innocent victim off the internet. And now after discovering the truth you are feeling a pain like nothing else you have ever felt before. It rips a hole through the heart and leaves the soul feeling empty and without purpose.
But you have come to a good place where you will never be judged, just understood. For we have all traveled this road of healing with help. And if you wish, we are here to help you.
Wingman182 Pay It Forward

ruththella.white
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby ruththella.white » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:02 pm

This is the third time. The first time I was fooled for a few days. Then I realized his story didn't make sense. "If something doesn't make sense it is a lie". They do it because they are poor. Not many generations have passed since Africa was colonized and its people enslaved by whites and denied the riches of their own land. To control the economy and government, white businesses corrupt black leaders are put into power. These businesses continue to exploit the local population while exporting gold, diamonds, and now oil without sharing the wealth with the local population. It is not unusual for wages to be $1 an hour or less for Africans. Africa's white population lives in luxury while its African population lives in shantytowns. Generations of being treated as less than human and living in enforced poverty will produce human beings that treat others as less than human. We mean nothing to these men. We are the means to an end. We are just the means to get back what they believe we owe them. Nothing happens in a vacuum.

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby Igulinka » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:56 am

I could agree with you partially on the corruption. This is huge West Africa's problem and certainly people are suffer. But not all rich moguls are white. Actually they are black skinned if we talk about Nigeria.

I do not totally agree with you that scammers scam because they are poor. They scam because they are greedy and too lazy to work hard. I grew up in European family , my parents were forced to work during WWII, although my dad was only 11yo. My parents had 5 children and we were really poor, with very little food on the table but NOT EVEN ONE OF US went to steal other people's property or food. So here we go. Scammers don't scam because they are poor. Actually when you look on their social media , they all are dressed well, have nice car, expensive phones in hands and always at the tables full of expensive alcohols. To me they are only sociopaths . Also scamming is often just a game to them to see just how much money they can get out of their victims .

Money which scammers steal from innocent people NEVER go to feed their families. They could care less if their children are fed, expensive snickers, vodka and drugs are number one to them.

The scammers are nothing more than sociopaths who have no feelings of remorse , guilt , shame nor do they know what sympathy or empathy mean . They don't care how their behavior affects others as their victims are nothing more than MUGUS to them ..."easy fools". Being such gullible easy fools they reason that the victims deserve to lose their money as it appears to them that they must have it to give away so readily to them . This is why they don't believe the victim who says I can't give anymore as in their minds if they gave so freely and easily before then they must have it .To them the victims come from Nations with money hence the victims too must have money . They have so many reasons that we can not begin to comprehend nor understand ..they are after all sociopaths .

So, please do not justify scammers and scamming. It's a horrible crime. No one deserve to be scammed. Many victims are left devastated and with nothing. Many went through mental breakdown and most likely may never recover . Poor people are actually giving and sharing although they have not much . Greedy bastards, West African rats, worst of the worse, they all deserve to be punished and hope KARMA will serve them what they deserve.

Julia2016
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Julia2016 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:50 am

To ruththella.white,
I have never read anything less logical than this nonsense. Your logic makes no sense at all.
I spent some time ago (and not with a travel agency!!) in Africa (Burkina Faso, Senegal, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mali, South Africa, Namibia), and I saw everything with my own eyes. This is not the place to discuss economy or politics but I can refer, as an example, to the situation in Zimbabwe. Before and after. Read please some stuff about Africa to understand.
If you feel so sorry for scammers, why you did not let them scum you? Go to your bank, withdraw all your money, sell your property and send everything to them to make them happy so that they could spend it for new cars, flashy life, expensive alcohols, drugs, prostitutes, etc. Internet is full of photos of their “poverty” … Scammers themselves brag about it and show their “poverty” in social media.
You should also tell your crap to those families who lost their beloved ones because of “poor” scammers. I have recently read the tragic story about the Pilipino (we don’t insert links here, but you can find it easily) who took her own life because of such people you defend. Plenty of cases about scamming disabled people can also be found on the Internet, or the last case of an Australian woman charged in Malaysia with death penalty for drug trafficking because she fell for a “poor” scammer. Nothing can serve as any excuse for what scammers do to innocent people!
According to your logic, scammers scum because they are so poor and they want to take revenge on white people. And what about scammers in Russia, Romania, Malaysia or in other countries? - It is not about any history or skin colour, but about the fact that these people are liars. They lie because they want money earned by others, and they want it because they are lazy and greedy! Causing death to innocent people makes them murderers, stealing money from other people makes them thieves and criminals, and the way how they do it makes them the worst sociopaths and the scum of the earth!

Return to “Support and Advice.”