It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:38 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Join our SCAM FREE DATING SITE
Readnotify - trace your emails, get IPs
Forum rules:

** PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

I am scared...

Emotional Support, Compassionate Friends
wanttoheal
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

I am scared...

Postby wanttoheal » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:09 pm

Hi.
I just called my bank and they said that the information I gave to "my" scammer cannot harm me in any way....."he" can't do anything with the information he has....is that true? (sorry, but I do not really trust people at the moment)....I am sure she is right.....and yet I am not.

And what is all this with the scammer sending stuff to your house? How can I avoid that? He has my address....I do not want to receive ANYTHING from these scumbags...is it only safe for me if I move?? I have never got anything from the scammer.....but what if he sends something? How can I avoid it? Can I call the postoffice and let them know that I do not want to receive any parcels which are not from my own country? Pls help..

I am scared...

Sponsor

Sponsor

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Re: I am scared...

Postby FrumpyBB » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:14 pm

It is right and a sad fact that you cannot trust many people on the internet :(
Rule no.1 with people you now know are scammers is to ignore it.
If anything like flowers is sent to you, don´t acceoppt it and don´t talk to the scammer or "friends" who claim they know him. They didn´t want your address, they wanted it to see how willing you are with sharing personal details. A "good" (believing) victim that does not argue is a promising target.
It may be a matter of weeks and even months but ultimately they will go away.
Since these kind of scammers are NOT local people, they aren´t going to "look out for you". A victim that doesn´t respond is a waste of time for them, from their persepctive. Try to understand this :)
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

wanttoheal
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby wanttoheal » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:37 pm

Okay..thanks a lot...
and do I understand it correctly if I say that no matter how they use threats to try to get you, they will not get you unless you do what they tell you to do??

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:57 pm

They cannot physically get to you.

As for your address, they would have tried to send you fake checks for you to cash. But they won't do that now, because they know that you're on to them and they won't waste the check. They also would have purchased things in your name with someone else's stolen credit card number and had the items sent to your house expecting you to forward them to them, however you're not going to do that now so they won't bother.

Its good you called your bank for some reassurance, but there really was no worry if they did not have your bank account or even the name of your bank. If they had your account number or the name of your bank and your name they may have tried writing fraudulent checks to send to other scam victims. However this is not likely at this point.
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.

Tearygirl
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Tearygirl » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:21 pm

Hi wanttoheal

The scammer had indeed inflicted the fear in me that i can't seem to shake it off. He did have my bank details too so that he could return my money after getting safely from A to Z but he didn't and gave an excuse. I may never know how true location but the some of the monies went sent to the country where I'm living. I even got a death threat when i didn't send the 'final' amount. The fear is still there because everything i shared about me to scammer as if I'm writing in my own personal diary. I feel violated and manipulated when scammer direct all his lies at the two most important thing in my life. I felt the sorrow agony pain devastation hopelessness and that no one can imagine and that it is beyond anybody's level to even help me. I have been crying alot everytime I thought I had to come up with the funds to send in order to 'rescue' scammer or scammer son. 'Final' amount is never final. Excuses one after the other. I wish I had listened to my instinct and would have stopped the damage to spiral. If time would heal i just can't see that light at all because it is all dark and gloomy.

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby Igulinka » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:16 am

Tearygirl

We are very sorry for the scam.
First: what you need to do is IMMEDIATELY go to the bank and close compromised account. It really doesn't matter if you have money there or not, scammers will use it to launder money and you may go to prison for it if you'll get convicted of offence.

Second: do not fear scammers. They can't come after you and physically hurt you or your loved ones. They can only spread the threats online and as long as you BLOCK, IGNORE and SHUT DOWN your computer they are gone.

Third: start your healing process, cry if you feel like and keep very occupied. Whenever you start to think about scam turn to do something else. Do not punish yourself for their crimes. You are the one who can keep your head up while they all will be judged by higher power. Feel better.
Confronting the scammer is WRONG!!! DON'T enlighten criminals with your wisdom. REPORT & BLOCK.
PHOTO VICTIM - "Do not confront the owner of the pictures, as they are victims themselves! You will only serve to further the terror and harm !" Silence Is Golden!!! I speak Polish.

Return to “Support and Advice.”