It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

FBI

Is it possible?
bossiest
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

FBI

Postby bossiest » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:54 am

I called the FBI while I had him online and they told me he is out of their jurisdiction and that there are just to many of them out there. I even told them that I uncovered info on stolen id's but they werent really to excited. Seems there is no where for us to go for help.

FBI

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

bossiest
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

FBI

Postby bossiest » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:13 am

I left a message with a detective from our police department and it must not have been a big deal since he never returned my call. Guess my playing detective is over unless I con my way back in and bait him for awhile. He'll be back, he already hit under a different name and pic. I would like to figure out how you all are talking about their urls and ip, I have no clue how to run them, I only told him I had them traced to scare him off which it did, probably for a short time though.

Marisa
Site Admin
Location: am from califonia aka carlifonia, united state of americans okay

Bookmark and Share

Postby Marisa » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:56 am

I told people many times: yes, FBI cannot do anything, reports to IC3 also don't do any good, they just sit there in Washington.

If you hope they will get caught, or any money can be recovered, forget about it. Unfortunately. The best thing we can do is expose them, bait them, post info on them and make sure other people don't fall victims.

Of course this is not what most scam victims want to hear, but unfortunately this is truth. I get questions all the time: where do we report them, what do we do so they get caught... It is hard to answer these questions, because the answer is: nothing.

EFCC does catch them once in a while, and this is probably the only organization they are afraid of, but NOT based on your reports, based on the raids they do from time to time through the Internet cafes in Nigeria, catching them "in the act", with scams runnng on their computer.

But don't think that just because it is pointless to file official reports it is a lost battle. More and more people become aware every day. More and more people google info on them and get warned. It is harder for them to find a victim nowadays than lets say a year ago. So, it's not a totally lost battle. Exposure, listing and public education does a hell of job.
SCAM FREE DATING SITE

I am responsible for what I say. I'm not responsible for what you understand.

Miss317
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re:

Postby Miss317 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:19 am

I told people many times: yes, FBI cannot do anything, reports to IC3 also don't do any good, they just sit there in Washington.

If you hope they will get caught, or any money can be recovered, forget about it. Unfortunately. The best thing we can do is expose them, bait them, post info on them and make sure other people don't fall victims.

Of course this is not what most scam victims want to hear, but unfortunately this is truth. I get questions all the time: where do we report them, what do we do so they get caught... It is hard to answer these questions, because the answer is: nothing.

EFCC does catch them once in a while, and this is probably the only organization they are afraid of, but NOT based on your reports, based on the raids they do from time to time through the Internet cafes in Nigeria, catching them "in the act", with scams runnng on their computer.

But don't think that just because it is pointless to file official reports it is a lost battle. More and more people become aware every day. More and more people google info on them and get warned. It is harder for them to find a victim nowadays than lets say a year ago. So, it's not a totally lost battle. Exposure, listing and public education does a hell of job.
Its been five years since you posted this Marissa. Is this still the case? Cuz I'm trying to keep this person on the line until someone can do something... I'm still talking to them. They don't know I'm on to them... have a live one. What do I do?

Marisa
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Re: FBI

Postby Marisa » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:26 am

nothing changed since than. FBI still doesn't have any power of authority in Nigeria, and Nigeria is still a corrupted country.
SCAM FREE DATING SITE

Little Brat
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Little Brat » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:03 pm

nothing changed since than. FBI still doesn't have any power of authority in Nigeria, and Nigeria is still a corrupted country.
WOW THIS IS SO DISHEARTENING..NO WONDER THEIR ARE LITERALLY THOUSANDS OF THEM.. :cry:

Marisa
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby Marisa » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:15 pm

Well, that's the downside of the Internet: in the real life, you meet people living in your own country and even your own city, and if smth goes wrong, you can always go to police.

On the Internet, you can run into a person living anywhere on Earth!! And there is nothing your local authorities can do about it.
SCAM FREE DATING SITE

rich44
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby rich44 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:34 am

i just read on what u say and it is true i called the fbi and my police dept they told me if its in another country there nothing they can do but he the fbi would not confirm they got a sting operation or a fbi branch in nigeria my local police told me if i wire money here in america they can do something they gave me the site to file my complaint to and it been 2 yrs im thought of going to america most wanted and see what they can do i have the people cell and pic on facebook they dont know im on to them but i have had a virus in my pc and some did get in my facebook so i hope im still goood that they dont know im on to them

MichaelWalter
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby MichaelWalter » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:35 am

I said it in my other post. There is no way to get these guys. Best way is DEFENSE. See my post on Amanda Ruiter. FBI has no authority in Africa, or will they take a case on like this. They turn down bigger cases, in the US, that are US Juridiction. I know I worked for them doing profiles and hate crimes. If they turn down cases in the US they for sure wont deal with somethign they have no right getting involved in another country. Africa police dont care. Best thing is either watch for them, and aware others on sites like this. Or play with them like I do, use up like a week of their time, and get their hopes up, then drop the bomb. This waste their time. Its like working a week for free. yes theyahave others, but they also spent a lot of time with you and got nothing. plus its fun haha. If your really looking for love on the net then do your homework. i offered to help anyone FREE of charge who had questions about anyone..SEE MY AMANDA RUITER POST! Mike Walter <please don't post your email on the board>

ranchgoddess
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby ranchgoddess » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:33 pm

I don't understand why we can't send some troops over there to get them. I'm sure they are all located in some shack with a ton of computers!! I have two going on now, and I'm keeping them busy. LOL When I get through with them, they will be a curled up ball of flesh twitching in the corner... :mrgreen:

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby Igulinka » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:51 pm

ranchgoddess

Troops are not a low enforcement at any means and are not trained to fight a crime.
The country has fraudulent government which accepts bribes from scammers. I can't see the other party to handle that problem in the peace mission. Education is the key here.

Please do not give any scam baiting advises to the posters. We do not want to jeopardize anyone's online safety.
Please kindly post the scammers email address, Skype, Phone number, link to the social sites , pictures ...that's what our site is for. Thank you.
Confronting the scammer is WRONG!!! DON'T enlighten criminals with your wisdom. REPORT & BLOCK.
PHOTO VICTIM - "Do not confront the owner of the pictures, as they are victims themselves! You will only serve to further the terror and harm !" Silence Is Golden!!! I speak Polish.

sthrngypsy
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby sthrngypsy » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:58 am

I see Nigeria is a member of Interpol, do these cases come under the jurisdiction of Interpol?

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby Igulinka » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:14 am

There is FBI only at American Embassy at Abuja grounds...
What I heard while inquiring about my own cyber crime case a financial loss must be a million of USD or greater in order to be investigated. Interpol didn't even agree to take my report. That's why we strongly urge to file IC3 complaints as the cyber crime is seriously under reported and doesn't WOW authorities.
Gathered by the FBI info may result in changing cyber laws, just like happening recently at Singapore where Interpol built HQ to be on the grounds to fight cyber schemes.

The investigation and prosecution of the crime in Nigeria is solely the responsibility of local authorities, consular officers can help you to understand the local criminal justice process and to find an attorney if needed. 

Shelly565
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Shelly565 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:16 pm

i just read on what u say and it is true i called the fbi and my police dept they told me if its in another country there nothing they can do but he the fbi would not confirm they got a sting operation or a fbi branch in nigeria my local police told me if i wire money here in america they can do something they gave me the site to file my complaint to and it been 2 yrs im thought of going to america most wanted and see what they can do i have the people cell and pic on facebook they dont know im on to them but i have had a virus in my pc and some did get in my facebook so i hope im still goood that they dont know im on to them

Who did you contact and what site was it if money was deposited in a bank account in U.S.? I already contacted IC3 and the local police dept. but they are so damn slow in processing my case. Please send me a private message. Thank you!

Nikita2016
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Nikita2016 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:28 pm

I called the FBI while I had him online and they told me he is out of their jurisdiction and that there are just to many of them out there. I even told them that I uncovered info on stolen id's but they werent really to excited. Seems there is no where for us to go for help.

Hallo Bossiest,

I do hear what you are saying - but to be honest - I would refuse to just give up - because the police are either to lazy or not equipped to deal with the situation. While I fully understand the FAQ information that I have red elsewhere on this blog. I do believe that there are always other options, we just need to be creative. This blog/website seems to have about 60.000 users. What if a big part of that community would unite to do the following 2 things:

Number 1:
Create a petition on change org and ask people to sign it. Politicians usually only tend to want to listen and
start to change something the moment that a situation receives enough media attention and would have a negative impact for them if they do not respond.

Number 2:
Collect e-mail addresses of media and politicians as well as police internationally and keep sending them our complaints about the situation. Just imagine if only 10% of the members of this website/blog would join and agree
to each send 1 e-mail per week. That means those facilities (media - politicians - plus the police) would receive about 6000 e-mails per week. Keep that a up for a certain amount of time and I am very convinced that it would make a great difference. Of course we would be accused of spamming......but who cares sometimes it takes actions like that to get stuff done.

Furthermore I very much remember reading somewhere on the Internet less than one year ago that the German federal police BKA (that is the German equivalent of the US - FBI) has a plan to spend more time and afford into investigating just these kind of scams. The reason for this must be - that they are already receiving thousands of complaints and criminal charges annually about this from people who got ripped off. No doubt that they would not have send around the message to the media that they will turn their focus and attention on these type of scams if it was merely a few hundred complaints per year. They must have seen the numbers of people who got ripped off increase dramatically before they make it a priority and announce this to the press.

I am a little bit busy at the moment but I will try to find some articles about this subject on the internet and place them in here.

Kind Regards,
Nikita

Return to “Prosecution of African Scammers”