It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Nigerian check scam - a woman was sentenced!

Is it possible?
Gigs
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Gigs » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:53 am

Nigerian check scam :party: :applause: :party: :applause: :party: :applause:

Washington women gets 2 years in jail for helping nigerians check scamsters
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Nancy Gohring, IDG News Service
Wed Jun 25, 8:30 PM ET

A Washington woman was sentenced on Wednesday to two years in prison and five years of supervised release for her role in an Internet counterfeit check scheme.

Edna Fiedler pleaded guilty in March to attempting to defraud U.S. citizens in a scheme known as a Nigerian check scam.

Fiedler helped her accomplices in Nigeria send fake checks to people who had agreed to cash the checks on behalf of the sender, keeping some of the proceeds and sending the rest back.

The Nigerians found people willing to cash the fake checks via e-mail. They would send their names as well as fake documents that looked like Wal-Mart money orders, Bank of America checks, U.S. Postal Service checks and American Express traveler's checks to Fiedler. They told her how to fill out the checks and where to send them.

The recipients most likely thought they were helping out someone who needed a person in the U.S. to cash a check for them, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. They were able to get the money by cashing the checks, and sent most of it to either Fiedler or her Nigerian accomplices. However, once the checks were discovered to be fake, the people who cashed them were responsible for the full amount.

All told, Fiedler sent out US$609,000 worth of phony checks and money orders. When U.S. Secret Service agents investigating the case searched Fiedler's house, they found additional fake checks worth more than $1.1 million that she was preparing to send out.

At a recent conference in Seattle, a representative from the U.S. Postal Service and Washington State Attorney General Rob McKenna described ways they're working to shut down these kinds of scams, particularly because they often involve people who don't realize that they're taking part in illegal activities.

The U.S. Postal Service recently sent 15 postal investigators to Lagos, Nigeria, and during a three-month period there, they helped intercept counterfeit checks, lottery tickets and eBay overpayment schemes with a face value of $2.1 billion, Chris Siouris, a cyber investigator at the U.S. Postal Inspector, said at the recent conference. Siouris, McKenna and others are pushing for ways to better educate Internet users so that people don't unwittingly help out in these kinds of e-mail scams.

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

Marisa
Site Admin
Location: am from califonia aka carlifonia, united state of americans okay

Bookmark and Share

Postby Marisa » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:08 am

Thanks for this article, Gigs (I splitted it into a separate topic, as I believe it is worth reading for everybody).

I sure do hope this woman realized what she was doing, and was not just another victim. We read a lot of such cases here during these years, how they recruit people to print these checks, saying it's the payroll checks for their "employees". There was also another news story about an innocent woman who was sentenced only because she cashed such counterfeit check.

If this woman knew what she was doing, then she sure got what she deserved. :applause: If not... just shows in how many ways these creeps can ruin your life and put you in trouble. Some people say: "what can they do to me, I don't have money, I am poor, I am broke..." This is what they can do!

The only sad thing is that a REAL Nigerian criminal behind all that is still out there, still scamming. He will just find another dummy, and that's it. Oh well, much easier to go after Americans than after these creeps.
SCAM FREE DATING SITE

I am responsible for what I say. I'm not responsible for what you understand.

Gigs
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Gigs » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:58 am

Your Very Welcome Marisa,!! I really hope it helps some good folks to NOT FALL FOR IT !! When I saw & read this I just had to pop it on here . So many people Dont know they are SCAMS doing such a thing . but this women knew & was incahoots with the Nigerians involved ,!!! I think she should have gotten a few more years in the can!

:grin: Befor I joined this VERY AWSOME SITE . I was playing with the Nigerians and had them send me checks to cash to a P.O.Box under a asumed name . :twisted: LOL I'd write VOID on the face of checks , & send it to the bank it was drawn on and tell them why I sent it to them .. I only got the pleasure of doing that about 11 12 times and then the Nigerians stopped sending me checks to cash !! :-( the checks were for l $4800 $4900 :lol: I got some really fun & exciting letters from them after the fact , ;) was going to come to my home and cut my head off & all kinds of crap I laughed at them and told them YOU LOOSE YA LIEN THEIVEN BASTA***S & to Bust Off eat S**T & DIE !!!!!

Well between that and the few Russian women & men pretending to be women who just Loved me no end ,,here I am ;) :grin:

luvstobait

Bookmark and Share

Postby luvstobait » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:53 am

Marisa
Remember several months ago when that creep tried ot get me to do the exact same thing??
I sure hope she was a willing accomplice for sure so that an innocent did not go to jail for this -but if she did do it willingly then shame on her and she got what she deserved !
The guy I had talked to really talked it up about how I would make so much money and could afford to have that "down payment on a "house " that I wanted to buy "
They made it sound like it was such easy money and if someone is down on their luck they would probably fall for it but as we all know
Easy money does not come easy !! there is always a price to pay !!
It if sounds too easy then something is not right !

Thanks GIGS for this article -makes me at least know there is a little hope that this is starting to get attention !!

Marisa
Site Admin
Location: am from califonia aka carlifonia, united state of americans okay

Bookmark and Share

Postby Marisa » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:00 am

Yeah, unfortunately they do hook up with dishonest people over here. I was just remebering another case of a lady, whom the creep "hired" as a payroll, to print checks for his "employees" in the US. She did printed and mailed quite a few checks, but than found this site and realised she was involved in a Nigerian scam.

Then she contacted people whom she mailed the checks and warned them, and then she went to FBI herself, told them everything that happened. Luckily, they realized she was also a victim, so there was no charges against her.

But I think this is the case similiar to yours, when they upfront told that idiot that she was going to help scammers.. :evil:
SCAM FREE DATING SITE

I am responsible for what I say. I'm not responsible for what you understand.

Gigs
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Gigs » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:15 am

Your Welcome Luvstobait ;) Wish there more stories like this one out there too but every one helps !! ,Alot & most of times they are far and few between,... but when ya see or read about some low lien scamster getting there due, it makes ya smile !! Seams now here we get about one or 2 people a week saying thanks for this Wonderful Awsome Site, and that they DIDNT GET DUPED because they saw there scamster here ,or read the very same letter they had gotten ,& DIDNT SEND THE $ ! So there is always HOPE LTB and the people who post here & other good sites like it, help keep HOPE Running !! ;) Im very Glad it made ya fill better too ,It was a shot in the arm for all of us who bait and post !!!

Return to “Prosecution of African Scammers”