It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:17 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

Man steals $1.2 MILLION (!) to send to "Ghanaian woman".

Articles and media
wayne

Bookmark and Share

Postby wayne » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:12 pm

You heard that right. 1.2 MILLION DOLLARS. This is badly translated from the Norwegian
Økonomi Economy
Kasserer kan være lurt i Ghana-svindel Treasurer may be wise in Ghana scams. To have concealed 7.5 million from Aftenposten club.

It is common knowledge in Aftenposten that the cashier at Easter last year initiated the relationship with a Ghanaian woman. Recently, he received severance package in Aftenposten to travel to Ghana to live with his girlfriend there, and he had his last working day on Monday.

The trip to Ghana was not something, and it is unclear why . Yesterday was treasurer arrested and interrogated, and out in the afternoon the police decided that they would make him the remand prison.

How it looks now, he will be made to remand prison today, "prosecutor Christian Stenberg at the Oslo police told Aftenposten.

Both the prosecutor Christian Stenberg of the Oslo police and AGK-leader Per Syversen was yesterday silent on the possible motives behind what has happened when the NOK 7.5 million has disappeared from the typographer's club treasury. Syversen confirmed Tuesday that the treasurer has admitted transfer of the entire klubbkassens content for purposes that are club irrelevant.

Stenberg, however, confirmed yesterday that the review that the outgoing treasurer, even lodged to the police Monday, is a review where the treasurer himself is offended.

Treasurer has therefore not, as was expected Tuesday, "reported himself" for the police. He has prosecuted a crime that should have hit him.

According to several sources, VG has talked with, the 59-year-old have explained that he committed the team because he was in debt to the mafia in Ghana, who pressured him for money.

Stenberg is not to say anything more about the content of the review and whether the police secure the trust funds's allegations. The police took, besides the actual interrogation, a number of investigative steps yesterday, including search warrants and collecting information.

Are any other individuals arrested or indicted in the case?

Not yet, "replies Stenberg.

Is there reason to believe that other people are involved in the matter?

I will not comment.
A Norwegian newspaper contacted me today looking for comments and advice.

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

wayne

Bookmark and Share

Re: Man steals $1.2 MILLION (!) to send to "Ghanaian woman".

Postby wayne » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:27 pm

Here are proper translations of all 3 pages I was sent, thanks to The Wild Geese.

http://www.aftenposten.no/okonomi/innla ... 475821.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aftenposten-treasurer be placed on custody imprisonment

The treasurer who could have embezzled NOK 7.5 million from Aftenposten Graphics Club (AGK), will be apparently placed on custody imprisonment already on Thursday.
Marit E. Valvik
Updated: 20.01.10 kl. 20:01 Posted: 20.01.10 kl. 19:53

Several
PrintEmail this to a friend
Read also:
• Person arrested for embezzlement in Aftenposten Club

• Desperate/puzzled after the club treasury fund was emptied

Oslo police arrested today one person in connection with the case wherein a former treasurer of Aftenposten Graphics Club admitted having embezzled NOK 7.5 million from the club's treasury funds.
The police have now started questioning the cashier, and after that, Aftenposten has been informed, he will be placed on custody imprisonment tomorrow.

- As how it looks now, he will be placed on custody imprisonment tomorrow according to Police Attorney Christian Stenberg of the Oslo District Police to Aftenposten.

The police will not say whether the man has said anything about the motive for taking the money. The Treasurer ended his work engagement with Aftenposten on Monday and reported himself to the police the same day. He had a meeting with club chairman Per Syversen on Tuesday and told him what he had done.

The money is a saving accumulated through several decades and should be used for the operation of the club, social events, severance pay, funeral support and possible strike support.
http://www.aftenposten.no/okonomi/innla ... 473568.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Desperate after the club funds was emptied
The sum of Kr 200 is left on the account of Aftenposten Graphics Club (AGK). Kr 7.5 million should have been there. The treasury fund is emptied.
SIRI Gedde-Dahl DAHL CARL ALFRED
Updated: 20.01.10 kl. 08:53 Posted: 19.01.10 kl. 17:22

Several

Club members reacted with dismay. This is a personal tragedy, "said AGK-chairman Per Syversen, after an urgent club meeting with Aftenposten’s graphic staff yesterday afternoon.

Behind the tapping is the retired treasurer of the AGK-board, which has his last day of service in Aftenposten on Monday.

He was about to transfer the treasurer’s responsibilities to his successor to the board. The new treasurer would probably discover immediately that something was wrong after he check up the club's accounts, but the outgoing treasurer came in ahead of him.

Reported himself –

At 13.30 o'clock yesterday, the outgoing treasurer reported himself to the club chairman and announced that he had emptied the club treasury funds, where it was 7.5 million kroner. The cashier even told his own case to the police on Monday already. Syversen reported the embezzlement to the police later yesterday on the club's behalf.

It was a shock, "said AGK leader Syversen about the conversation with the cashier. Neither he nor others in the board have had suspicions that something was wrong. However, some careful investigations yesterday indicated, that tapping may have been going on for a year.

It is unclear where the money has gone, if they exist anywhere, or if they are used up. Per Syversen would not comment on it. The Club meeting is not an expression of the lack of confidence towards the board, but Syversen says it is just natural that the Club Board of Directors goes through their routines after what happened.

- AGK is traditionally one of the country's most powerful Business Clubs. Do you believe tapping weakens you as a union?

- No, our strength is not dependent on money. Our union is strong, according to Syversen.

Membership fee

-It is members' money, accumulated over several decades, is now gone. They are used for the operation of the club, social events, severance pay, funeral support and possible strike support.
Union leader for the journalists in Aftenposten, Gunnar Kagge, comments matter as follows:
- The case is first and foremost, shocking and deeply tragic, and sets the AGK in a difficult situation. This is money of the members and insurance for many situations in connection with our profession.
On Wednesday will AGK try to get a better overview of what has actually happened, by reviewing bank withdrawals in cooperation with the bank and with support from the Union Association.
Aftenposten did not succeed in getting in contact with the former treasurer, on Tuesday evening.
Aftenposten Graphics Club (AGK) has empty treasury funds after the recently retired treasurer, took out NOK 7.5 million of the club's funds.

The money has probably been drained from the club's account over a year.
No one expressed lack of confidence to the Board during the club meeting, but Syvertsen said the club will review its procedures after this thing has happened.
http://www.aftenposten.no/okonomi/innla ... 476176.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Treasurer may have been tricked in Ghana scams

To have embezzled 7.5 million from Aftenposten club.
Marit E. Valvik SIRI Gedde-Dahl
Updated: 23.01.10 kl. 14:47 Posted: 21.01.10 kl. 07:49

Several
• Read also: In love man sent 20 million to Ghana

It is known in Aftenposten that the cashier at Easter last year engaged in a relationship with a Ghanaian woman. Recently, he received severance package in Aftenposten to travel to Ghana to live with his girlfriend there, and he had his last working day on Monday this week.
The trip to Ghana was aborted, and it is unclear why. The treasurer was arrested and interrogated yesterday, and in the afternoon the police decided that they would put him into custody imprisonment.

-The situation now, seems that he will be brought up to custody imprisonment today according to prosecutor Christian Stenberg at the Oslo district police as told to Aftenposten.

Unclear motive.

Both the prosecutor Christian Stenberg of the Oslo Police and AGK-leader Per Syversen was yesterday silent on the possible motives behind what has happened when the NOK 7.5 million disappeared from the Typographer's Club treasury. Syversen confirmed Tuesday that the treasurer has admitted transfer of the entire Club’s funds for purposes that are irrelevant for the club.

Stenberg, however, confirmed yesterday that the reports that the outgoing treasurer, even told to the police on Monday, is a report where the treasurer himself is offended.

The Treasurer has therefore not, as was assumed Tuesday, "reported himself" to the police. He has reported a crime that could have framed him.

According to several sources, VG has talked with, the 59-year-old have explained that he committed the embezzlement because he was in debt to the mafia in Ghana, who pressed him for money.

Searched

Stenberg will not say anything more about the content of the report and whether the police believe the treasurer’s allegations. Besides the actual interrogation, the police took a number of investigative steps yesterday, including search warrants and collected information.

- Are any other individuals arrested or indicted in the case?
- Not yet, "replies Stenberg.
- Is there reason to believe that other people are involved in the
matter?
- No comments.

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby FrumpyBB » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:06 pm

Anyway, I feel sorry for that guy. It seems the newspaper has not yet reported why and for whom did he use the money, especially since that "Ghanaian girlfriend" might rather be a whole Nigerian 419 gang. I hope they will do that soon. It would at least make his motives clear. The motives which fill the full RS board I mean.
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

Marisa
Site Admin
Location: am from califonia aka carlifonia, united state of americans okay

Bookmark and Share

Postby Marisa » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:25 am

sorry to say, but I am not. :( He stole the money from other people, and there is no excuse for that. He didn't think about these people, about in what position he put them. These money went out of their pockets, not out of his pocket. I am always sorry for victims who lose their own savings, get in debt, lose their homes, retirement money, etc... This is a tragedy. But those who steal from others to send to their sweethearts or to chase those 419 treasures have no sympathy from me. :disagree:
SCAM FREE DATING SITE

I am responsible for what I say. I'm not responsible for what you understand.

Gigs
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Gigs » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:21 am

I totaly agree with you Marisa ,The guy was REALLY wrong to take moneys that didn't belong to him to send to his girlfriend !WTF !!! He should be locked up !! And what of the bank , who was watchen the till there, when all this money took off on safari bit by bit ..... ??? Seams to me that somebody elce knew the funds were being depleated,!?!?!?! :thinking:
NEVER EVER EVER SEND $ MONEY $ !

Finding Headers , http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... 18&t=10910" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Want to fight back, http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... f=18&t=484" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=66" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mals
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Mals » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:40 am

"The trip to Ghana was aborted. It is unclear why".... hmmm... how about because "she" never existed in the first place, and disappeared in a puff of smoke once they got the money - sound familiar??
"Anyone who thinks they're too small to make a difference has not spent the night with a mosquito" - (Anita Roddick).

The Wild Geese
RomanceScam Sponsor
RomanceScam Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby The Wild Geese » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:08 am

From now on I will keep an eye of the fresh development regarding this report. I don't usually read this newspaper because it is managed by my contra political party. As we can see not only ordinary people like me fall down to the trap of these devils. Yes, the money he lost if he gave it to his supposed to be girlfriend is a money lost forever. Then the former treasurer will be jailed for years besides paying back the money he took away. What a mess! Spending his retirement years in prison! He could have lived in luxury in Asia or Africa even with just his pension pay plus that big severance package.(I guess a full 3 years salary but not enough to pay back Kr 7.5 mill.)
Nothing wrong of being an Engr. as long as you are real. :-)

camelion
Very Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby camelion » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:54 am

when or why doesnt the government become invoved to track these scum down. there is some scammer who was poor one day and now is probably skiting about their new found wealth. Surely their not all blind as well as corrupt and stupid in Nigeria. You would think the nigerian government would do everything in their power to catch these scammers to keep good relations with other countries. GIGS, i hope you have made that one almighty big bomb. I would be happy to press the button. :thinking:

wayne

Bookmark and Share

Postby wayne » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:44 pm

The reporter has just spent some time in Ghana and let me know that another report has been posted at "e24.no/utenriks/article3492662.ece" about scammers in Ghana.

The Wild Geese
RomanceScam Sponsor
RomanceScam Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby The Wild Geese » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:32 pm

Promise to translate as soon as I got the time.

The Wild Geese
RomanceScam Sponsor
RomanceScam Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby The Wild Geese » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:41 pm

Here it is!

On the internet they pose themselves as gorgeous beautiful women. Actually, they are African men.

CARL ALFRED DAHL, Aftenposten
Published: 29.01.10 20:54, Updated: 30.01.10 10:28
They have the ability to persuade Norwegians to send several million each year, in pursuit of young love, gold and sparkling diamonds that exist only in the victim's dream world.
The internet cafe feels cold and numb, compared to the bustling, dusty, noisy life in the heat outside.
Here, on the outskirts of Accra, Ghana's capital, sets a young African man at work, early on every evening. In a chat room or through a personal ad on the Internet, he looks for European men who are ready for a hot chat. Gorgeous pictures of ladies and promises of passionate love sent from Western Africa. In return, the victims send money that allegedly will go to a new webcam or even a sick mother, via Western Union or Money Gram (Forex).

Lost money.

The amounts are increasing, and the African promise to pay back in terms of an inherited coffin with gold worth millions of dollars. But first Europeans have to pay more money, perhaps to a lawyer in Nigeria and a partner in London.

The fraud usually stops here, because the victim becomes suspicious. If he is Norwegian, the case falls on the desk of Anne Dybo in Økokrim. Just last year, Økokrim registered over 100 million similar transfers from Norway.

-They are trapped in a dream. Every week we get a couple of such report. Our job is to warn people against it, and try to help people out of it when they come with stories like these, "says Dybo. If the money transfer already took place, then the money are lost, she says.

Generous treasurer.

This is a kind of trap as called in English as honey trap fraud, this can also be the case of the treasurer in Aftenposten Graphic Club (AGK) fall as a victim. He engaged to a relationship for almost a year with a woman posing to be the daughter, and thus the heir to George Orwell. Miss Orwell ran her own internet cafe in Accra, but had also alleged debt in Nigeria. 7.5 million dollars disappeared in a matter of 10 months in one of the biggest club embezzlement case in the Norwegian labour movement's history.

The Treasurer told to one of the dating sites that he is a serious man and is very generous to the people he is fond of. The treasurer went to Oslo police two weeks ago to report himself as a victim of fraud; the police presented four book binds documenting withdrawal from AGK- account and hundreds of money transfers to Nigeria, London and Ghana.

The police have also seized 59-year-old's mobile phone and PC, which he had returned back to his employer Aftenposten when he tendered his resignation earlier that same day.

Lot purchased.

On June 18, 2009 a $ 15,000 was withdrawn from the Treasurers account in Sparebank1's account and transferred to London to an account in Barclay's Bank in the High street in Accra. The transaction of Kr 95,925 was declared ”For our piece of land”. The treasurer told to colleagues about both lot purchase and building houses with his future wife in Accra.

It is listed an English, not African, woman's name as a recipient of the money.

PO Box address which the recipient gave, leads to a post office in Accra-North. Thousands of red boxes of approximately 10 times 15 centimeters are hanging on the walls on the first floor. A representative of the post office's management looks into a solid protocol and checks the name that is registered on the mailbox. It is a man who rented the box for long period. They have strong doubts that he has something to do with Treasurers’s money transfers because the abuse of mail boxes is more common in internet fraud.

Norwegian police have not yet asked Interpol or the Ghanaian police for help.

-Just sending such a request takes two weeks. Moreover, we do not know what we can get out of this, said "prosecutor Christian Stenberg.

Paid girlfriends.

Perhaps Accra police has more luck. They're working to get a court ruling, so that Barclay's Bank discloses all information about the owner of the account.

Chief Inspector Yaa Tiwaa Danso in Accra-police's special unit for fraud said Aftenposten's reproduction of Treasurer’s s transactions and stories are similar to the classic internet scam.

"As long as they only communicate on the Internet, it is most likely he has had contact with a young man. If they speak with the victim on the phone, they pay a friend to take care of the talking, "she says.

The 59-year-old man visited, "Miss Orwell" in Ghana on several occasions. She also came to Oslo with two children to visit him in the late summer of last year.
-The visit makes it different from most scam stories. Swindlers usually avoids any physical contact. These are young people who have left school. They are not as sophisticated in the methods they use to cheat, "she says.

Stolen photos.

Associate Professor Øyvind Økland at Media College Gimlekollen has similar experiences from their fieldwork in Accra-youth media habits in 2007.

Økland becomes familiar with both owners and users pf different Internet cafes by visiting these places..

-As soon as one of the African men got a phone number or e-mail address he put it into a database. They used images of young, beautiful women as they posed as to be, "said Okland.

Photos are often stolen from other sites on the Internet; pictures of the western models are preferable.

-Some of these men were boys down in the age of ten to learn fraud, "said Okland.

Ghana is located one hour after the Norwegian zone, but the North American "market" is five to eight hours after.

-They make it as days routine to usually chat with Europeans in the evening, and Americans and Canadians on the night, "he says.

Now I understand why they could transfer money more than the legal amount which can be transferred without declaring the purpose they declared the purpose, and then one can transfer as much as one can. This I know from before. Good that I did not have the purpose!

Now I understand why they could transfer money more than the legal amount which can be transferred without declaring the purpose they declared the purpose, and then one can transfer as much as one can. This I know from before. Good that I did not have the purpose! :P

wayne

Bookmark and Share

Postby wayne » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:48 pm

Thank you once again for the translation :)

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby FrumpyBB » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:59 pm

Well five years later the new "record amount lost in one singular romance scam" is 1.4 million :(

http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... 83&t=86162" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

Return to “Articles and media”