This is a special type of scam, described also in our pro-dating section. It is quite different from other types for several reasons. First of all, the girls are real, they DO exist, and you can meet them in person. They usually don't ask money over the Interent BEFORE meeting, but might continue milking you AFTER meeting. Secondly, while visa-ticket and translation scams are illegal and scammers can be prosecuited by law, this type of scam is more amoral than illegal. There is no law that punishes women for gold-digging and dating many men for money (unfortunately).
Neveretheless, it is still a scam. In short, these girls date foreign men just for money, gifts and costly entertainment. They have no interest in any relationship, though they claim otherwise in correspondence and use it as a hook. Sex may or may not be involved. In most cases it is not involved, so you don't even get THAT for your money. Many are actually married or have local boyfriends. This scam usually involves:
- a translator (another girl that does translations for you both, in reality an accomplice). In most cases, translator is not even needed, but you will never find out the REAL language skills of your girl. Also, they often switch places: a translator becomes a "girl" and a girl becomes a "translator", and vice versa.
- apartment renting for you during your visit. The apartments may or may not be overpriced, but in any case a girl gets a share from the deal (very popular in Odessa).
- taxi (you may notice that it is not just any taxi, but the one of her choice and a driver is always the same). That's also her accomplice, and she gets her share from taxi rates, usually inflated and unreasonable.
- very little interest on her part in you as a person and in relationship development, but a lot of interest in your wallet and money spending. The girls are often "busy at work", "unavailable" and you get to meet them just a few times during your visit, but every time you do, it involves money spending.
- and of course her shopping that YOU pay for and the very fancy expensive overpriced restaurants that ordinary people cannot afford.
This type of scam is very hard to nail and prove, especially on the correspondence stage. Unfortunately, often there is no way to tell somebody is a pro-dater until you actually go and visit her in person. The pro-daters can be found on any site, inclusing Elena's Models and other agencies which are generally scam free.
What can you do to protect yourself?
1) please remember: no honest Russian or Ukrainian woman will be sucking money from you if she is not interested in developing the relationship. Things happen. Sometimes people meet, but don't "click", there is no chemistry. If this is the case, the honest Russian woman would let you know right away and not AFTER she accepted costly gifts, shopping and restaurant meals. If she did and only THAN dumped you: she is a pro-dater (or playing dynamo, like they call it in Russian), she does it to everybody. Actually, this applies not only to Russian women, but to any woman, in any country.
2) NEVER take them shopping after few or even one meeting and don't pay for it. That's ok, you will not be considered "greedy". You don't have to do it. You wouldn't do it with a local lady. The Russian men wouldn't do it, too. So why should you? You cannot buy somebody's love.
3) Refuse from everything they try to force on you: apartment, taxi, translator. Tell them you are going to get everything on your own: rent your own apartment or hotel room, get your own taxi, hire your own translator. If it's a pro-dater, you will be cutting her of all sources of income. Watch how she will object and argue, and possibly lose the interest in meeting. Especially refuse the translator and try to get your own. There are lot of ads in local newspapers about translation services. This will be the major pro-dating test.
4) Always have a plan B or even C ready. This does not make you dishonest or sex tourist. This is important, because you will not be forced to waste all your trip and money on one shameless pro-dater.
There are also the entire agencies specializing in pro-dating. They consist solely of the hired pro-daters. The agency and girl share profits. Avoid those, too. If the girls in some agency look too good to be lonely and seeking, if you are flooded with mails from such girls, that's probably it. These are also the ones who persistently "push" a translator on you. With agencies, use Google, read reviews, don't discard bad ones and don't overestimate good ones, those can be written by employees.
http://www.russian-detective.com/scams/ ... cation.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;