It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

No one here is stupid!

Emotional Support, Compassionate Friends
Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Re: No one here is stupid!

Postby Pinky » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:16 pm

This is just my opinion Terrrit and I'm not a professional so you can take it for what it's worth, but I don't think your anger is really about the money. It's about your disappointment and hurt that you were deceived. Sure the money part sucks but you've lived without it before and you'll still live without it. I suspect you're more angry because you're blaming yourself. It's why you don't feel safe to trust again.

I think you should focus on forgiving yourself. How could you have known you were involved in a scam if you'd never had any experience like it before? For you there would have been no signs. You won't find love again if you never trust. We have to have trust. Only now with this experience behind you, you will trust more carefully - but you will trust in the right person. Let the money go. How much is an education like this worth? The next time for you, when you put your trust in the right place, you might even say the price was fair.
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

alessa
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby alessa » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:52 pm

Me too, I wish I have known this site before I was scammed,but now with my knowledge of how scammers work I have save my sister from the same trap I have had.My sister was so happy to give the news about a man she met on one dating site...So I start asking questions like :is he good in poetry? did he profess love right away? he's an orphan?,widow? wife died in accident? with one child? own a business?=all these was answered yes by my sister and she said how come I know this things. (my siblings doesn't know I was scammed, I haven't told them) I told her to google the man's name and she did ,and it was positive the man is a scammer.I told her to drop the man right away but she said she'll play with him for a little while.I told her not to send any money or things to this man and not to believed whatever he says..a couple of days past and I have a chat with my sister and yes the man she said started to act with sad stories and asking for help, I told my sister to post his scammer on this site..she said she will...I have taught my sister of how to detect a scammer and to stay away from them..There is no better teacher than the one who was scammed before :D

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:37 pm

Way to go girl! Yay! Alessa! You rock!
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.

duckhunter
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby duckhunter » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:03 pm

If we look hard enough, we will find blessings within the challenges we face. Alessa, you are one of those blessings.
Help us keep scammers stupid Post his details here to warn others, then walk away without explanation. Confrontation alerts scammers & makes them change their identities...which makes all your hard work outdated. It messes with their minds if they don't know why you walked away.

alessa
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby alessa » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:07 pm

Thank you guys,you are the ones that helped me to become what I am now :)

cobrawoman
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby cobrawoman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:50 am

I am very thankful for all the men & women on here sharing their experience, strength & hope with each other! Stupid? We are anything but, WE have to remember that we did not do anything wrong. WE gave honestly of ourselves & we have to recognize that it was our "Higher Emotions" of Love & Trust that were Exploited! Giving of oneself is neither Stupid or Foolish & nothing to be ashamed of; rather it is Generous & Worthwhile.

If we believe in the existence of a Greater Power perhaps the final judgement has still to be made about who TRULY profited or lost by the experience... :hugz:

Thank You
Cobra Woman
Firmness of mind & action in the face of opposition = COURAGE "My Inner Guidance is clear & I now have the COURAGE to follow it." Thank You Romance Scam's!
Important Info http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewto ... =72&t=5149

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:44 am

Well said, CW. :applause:

BROKENHEARTED70
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby BROKENHEARTED70 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:30 pm

Pinky

I don't know where to start but I feel like such an idiot....this thing who calls himself William Darko....scammed me and my family out of $3000.00 (I know it's not a lot compared to what I have read but she is a single parent and so am I), he said it was hotel bill that he couldn't pay because he had just been robbed....Am l an idiot for falling for that....yep and I did....i borrowed the money from my sister and I know have to pay her back...he promised me and the kids the earth, houses, financial security after his contract in Ghana has completed....When does the hurt stop cause right now I am feeling so low and would love to vent my feelings on him 100 fold. How could I have been so foolish and gullible? I thought I was smarter than that...He has screwed with my sister as well and she is finding it hard to cope now. Why did I fall for those lines....I told him intimate things about me, wrote poetry and other things for him....That does it for me....Men are off limits permanently.

Thanks for listening

msanglwtch
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby msanglwtch » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:30 pm

EDITED out quote of above post. ~Pinky

The feelings you are having Brokenhearted are the normal feelings that anyone who has been scammed goes through. I felt exactly the same way and still have some of those feelings. Some of us will go through the grieving process faster than others but that doesn't mean it still doesn't hurt from time to time. It feels similar to losing someone you lost because everything you felt was real. As much as you want to vent on him it will only make you feel better for a short while and give him the incentive to keep contacting you. Like you I thought I was smarter than that but I fell for the lines too. Give yourself time to grieve and remember the best revenge is to ignore him and to keep living your life. The mugu who scammed me still sends me IM's which I do not respond to, I let him think I still want to talk to him, but all the while I'm doing a jiggy dance sticking my tongue out at him and saying out loud he is such a dumb a** :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted: Another part of the best revenge is posting him here so that it becomes more and more difficult for him to continue to use the same address because if others google his email address they will find the post about him here. :cool: :D :lol: I was going to swear off men permanently too but realized if I do that then he still wins and I REFUSE to let him win because I know there are better men out there!! :applause:
~~BEAUTY is NOT a SIZE it IS an ATTITUDE~~

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:11 am

Hang in BrokenHearted. Msanglwtch has given you good advice. Give yourself time. Everyone heals at a different pace.

$3000 is a lot of money and it won't come back to you overnight, but if you put your mind to it, you will get it back. Take a part time second job delivering pizzas, wash cars, clean houses, have yard sales, eBay your treasures, have a bake sale, flip burgers - do anything that demonstrates your integrity. If you've got kids, let them help. It will do them good for years to come, for them to see their mother recover from this with dignity and honor. It might even be a lesson so valuable that you'll someday say it was worth the money.

duckhunter
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby duckhunter » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:38 pm

he said it was hotel bill that he couldn't pay because he had just been robbed....Am l an idiot for falling for that....
If you are then I'd have to admit to being an idiot too. Same story. The good news is that it's been about 2 1/2 years since I was scammed and for the last year and a half it feels as though it must have happened to someone else because there is absolutely no lingering pain or regret. I can actually smile when I remember the experience. I think that will be true of you as well.

Besides giving wonderful advice, Msanglwtch has demonstrated one of the greatest keys to healing -- supporting others who have been scammed. I agree with Pinky's advice too -- you have an opportunity to give your children a valuable gift that no money could ever buy. Embrace your inner strength and show the world what you are made of. Besides being caring, compassionate and loving, scam survivors tend to be very strong individuals.

Stick around with us Brokenhearted. Learn how to be safe, use your own experiences to help others, and allow our caring community to support you through your healing process. You will be surprised how soon things will begin to look brighter.
Help us keep scammers stupid Post his details here to warn others, then walk away without explanation. Confrontation alerts scammers & makes them change their identities...which makes all your hard work outdated. It messes with their minds if they don't know why you walked away.

The Wild Geese
RomanceScam Sponsor
RomanceScam Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby The Wild Geese » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:32 pm

Yes! Hanging around here in RS is the best healing medicine. I sometimes wonder, " Did it really happened to me?" Let bygones be bygones! I have more important things to take care and think of than thinking about that ugly and foul smelling mugu who become a naira millionaire because of TWG.
Once is more than enough! :evil:
Don't worry RS, my encounter with the devil just make me stronger than ever! :party:
Nothing wrong of being an Engr. as long as you are real. :-)

WitchyWoman
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby WitchyWoman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:12 pm

I also wish I had found this site earlier. I was so naive. Of course I saw the warnings on the dating site, but I never thought I could be taking in by a dating scam. I've always thought that I was a very good judge of character. But I've never dealt with trained liars. I know that the hurt of being deceived will eventually lessen, though never fully going away. The recovery will be a slow one, but with the help from this site, at least I know there are others out there feeling the same way.
I only wish there was some way more to inform people of the pitfalls of online dating. The small warnings the dating sites have are just not enough. There needs to be hugh red flags when accessing the sites with more detailed information. :heartbroken:
"What deep wounds ever closed without a scar?" - Lord Byron

terrrit
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby terrrit » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:49 pm

I am still bitter that someone had an opportunity to spend my money and I still think about all the things I could have brought myself... but any way god is still blessing me and I met someone who was right under my nose all the time. He actually thought I was married that was why he never approached me then one day he said your husband probaly really likes your truck huh... I then said I am sure he would if I had one then that is when we started to talk and started getting to know each other.. I am happy and online dating has nothing on a real person you can touch and feel and who has their own money.. I am still angry but I am still blessed..just wish I never even tried that stupid online dating ...but YOU LIVE AND LEARN i always look at the obituaries and realize atleast I am still here to be angry about my scam experience I still visit this site and am always looking to read how i am not the only one who got bit by that nasty old low life good for nothing dont want to work for their own money SNAKE... anyway I have a real man 6'4 and 225 lb's he wanted to be a line backer but BLEW his knee out his last year of high school but now he works for the post office.. God sends us packages in all sizes some good and some bad...i am doing much better just hate the fact somebody spent my money i fantasize about that person getting robbed you know how someone cuts you off then u driving and someone cuts them off and u say good he cut me off now look someone cut him off...i can only hope that CARMA IS A mutherfu---r...wat goes around hopefully comes around in some form or fashion....anyway thanks ramance scam...and yes i am still bitter but i dont grieve for my money as much.. :-o

Ralph Warner
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Ralph Warner » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:56 am

Good news on the new lucky man Territ, may you have a lifetime of happiness together :)

As for being bitter about somebody else spending your money, I can understand that, I never was scammed but I did have my first car stolen, it wasn't worth enough to insure but it certainly hurt when I no longer had means of getting to work.

Instead of driving to work I had to catch the bus and train as well as a couple of long walks which took me about 2 hours and all because somebody thought they deserved my car more than I did.

That was over 20 years ago now and it still makes me angry to think of it, the bastards :evil:
"Thou shall read thy FAQ" CLICK HERE for salvation
Has your scammer sent you to any websites, it may have been fake.

Return to “Support and Advice.”