It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

If you were scammed, how many people did you tell?

If you want to know the opinion of our visitors, create your poll. Please don't submit scammers here!

How many people did you tell that you were scammed?

No one.
23%
Just 1 other person.
17%
My close family.
8%
Family and friends.
18%
I tell as many people as I can.
35%

Total votes: 211

wayne

Bookmark and Share

Postby wayne » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:35 am

As we've been talking so much lately about getting the word out, I'm interested in how many people those that were scammed confided in about it.

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

duckhunter
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Re: If you were scammed, how many people did you tell?

Postby duckhunter » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:38 am

Initially I found it very difficult to share my experience with anyone. Many people I talked to had preconceived notions of what a scam victim must be -- stupid. I have since come to realize that these know-it-alls trust nobody, and the reason they don't trust is that they themselves are not trustworthy. Their cynical views and attitudes may prevent them from being victimized, but they also perpetuate the stigma associated with being targeted by scammers.

Soooooo......

Now I tell anyone and everyone who will listen. Every day I stand up as a proud survivor of scam and dare anyone to tell me who or what a scam victim is ... or how or why they were scammed.

As survivors we have the opportunity to prevent others from falling prey to these parasites by sharing our found knowledge. We mustn't allow false shame or fear to stop us from doing the right thing.
Help us keep scammers stupid Post his details here to warn others, then walk away without explanation. Confrontation alerts scammers & makes them change their identities...which makes all your hard work outdated. It messes with their minds if they don't know why you walked away.

NurulAzwa
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby NurulAzwa » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:14 am

I was almost scammed once, but because I am very particular about money, (no matter how much the guy told me he loved me! :D ) so the scammed didn't fell through. If he had asked for a few hundred ringgit (currency for Malaysia) I'd be willing to part with my hard earned money but the person asked for 51,000 ringgit (equivalent to about 20k US dollars) I balked! Nobody can separate me from my money, especially people I just got to know!
Now I told people who want to listen, I even tell my students (Now you know what my occupation is!) because i believe knowledge is empowerment. Cheerios!

Jselkie58
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Jselkie58 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:34 pm

I warn everyone of date site and 419 scams. An attempt was made in 2008 by an 'oil engineer' whom was leaving London for (Lagos) to work. Red Flags Flew. I had read of scams but no attempts had ever been made on me before this guy. Oh, he was slick as onion skin. Smooth talker and sweet. False documents were email to me including an insurance form with my being the beneficiary for 1.20 million dollars. I invested a little money by calling London for the "solicitors firm" whom had written the contracts and underwritten the insurance. I let the guy go on for a while then started TAKING HIM DOWN. :evil: Gently, but firmly. Went to the point of his being kidnapped by the Nigerian Militants. :mrgreen: Demanding I pay $50,000 U.S. As If...
Since, I work date sites to work Scammers and waste their time. Hoping while they are working me, they do not have enough time to harm others.
Will be posting pics of one whom is already on here, but will be adding new pictures of him, and with his Son. :liar: Email from him will be included. This one is a bit different, he is using others credit cards sending me gifts which are being opened and returned so I can contact the companies they are coming from and the innocent parties can cancel their cards and be made aware they are scammed/ID theft.
Scam Buster,
Jselkie58

TruthTeller
New Poster
Location: In the place that knocks down Elena that everyone likes to boast about but isnt 100% true

Bookmark and Share

Postby TruthTeller » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:15 am

I believe just two people-and these would include family members

TruthTeller
New Poster
Location: In the place that knocks down Elena that everyone likes to boast about but isnt 100% true

Bookmark and Share

Postby TruthTeller » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:21 am

For those who think Elena Petrova is so scam-free think again

The things she produces is absolutely ridiculous

TruthTeller
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby TruthTeller » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:35 am

Nobody can separate me from my money, especially people I just got to know! I even tell my students (Now you know what my occupation is!) because i believe knowledge is empowerment. Cheerios![/quote]

Sensible line

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby FrumpyBB » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:55 pm

For those who think Elena Petrova is so scam-free think again

The things she produces is absolutely ridiculous
Details available? Are you referring to an existing thread in the Russian scammers section? Advice needed...post more details please on who this is if it´s a scammer.
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

SlapHappy

Bookmark and Share

Postby SlapHappy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:26 am

A few decades ago, when I was a young whippersnapper of around 20, I fell for a door-to-door magazine sales scam.
The teenage kids were well dressed, polite and soft spoken. They seemed very nice and relaxed about their summer job, that would help them pay for college or a school trip or something like that. I lost about $30 to them. I didn't tell anyone for months about that. I felt embarrassed to admit that these kids fooled me and took my money. I felt "stupid," but I finally realized that I was just naive about these type of scams. I was a very trusting person and these people were trained very well to detect and take advantage of people like me. They must have practiced their scam and been taught by another older scammer, as they were so polished in their approach. Those kids were being taught to be criminals by an adult! Maybe their own parents, or maybe by someone who picked up runaway children and took advantage of them. Once I started thinking about this, my emotions changed to anger, and I lost a little bit of my trusting nature in the process. I wasn't that pissed off about the money, as it wasn't that much. I was more mad that people could exist that would do something like this. Look you straight in the eye, lie, steal, smile, and take some of the good from you, leaving you with embarrassment and anger, controlling your emotions in the process. It was a shocking but enlightening experience for me about the world we live in.
The hardest part to deal with is the emotional fallout, but it did help to talk to other people about it. Talking to others, and having a sympathetic ear, or just someone to vent anger to is important, I think. It helps you to get back to your normal self, but just a little wiser. I hope that some of these 26% who have told no one might talk to someone about it, especially if they are beating themselves up for their own "mistakes" that they feel they have made. Scammers are professionals. They do this for a living, and most of them are good at finding victims' weak spots. Do not feel bad about yourselves for falling for their lies. Do not feel bad that you are a trusting, generous, loving, good person. If you are hurting now, I hope you will tell someone about it and find help expressing your feelings.

Scammers are devils, with no empathy for anyone. They feel no emotion and feel no regret at stealing money, hearts, or souls. They steal as much money as they can, this is all they ever do in their lives. Scammers never change. They are pathological, antisocial, psychotic criminals who sold their souls for money.

I still think about this incident occasionally, when the subject of con men comes up. I sometimes wonder if those kids are now in jail or dead, thanks to their parents, or the evil bastard who snatched them off the street.
I have told my family and friends about it, and maybe a few other people if the subject came up. And now I have told tens of thousands on this website. I hope my words have helped someone going through a hard time now or in the future. Talking about it really does help not only yourself, but helps other people to spot and avoid scammers.

cruising4you
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby cruising4you » Mon May 23, 2011 4:53 am

I myself have started working the scammers too, I was scammed myself 2 months ago & now I know what to watch out for & I have 3 chatting with me now, 1 of them is already on here & the other 2 will be before long. Any helpful advice you can give me please send me an email at (Deleted member mail address)

Thanks
cjwcruising4you

Bronco
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Bronco » Mon May 23, 2011 6:45 am

Hi I'm Bronco, Yea I was scamed, I fell in Love with Fake Word's, I was told that the Moon rose with my light, And set with the love I had. I believed all of it. At first I did not, but they worked and worked on me,and my Heart needed to hear those word's. And after awhile I started to believe all the junk that that demon said. But then the Game changed, I became a pawn in this scam. I was used in a Counterfeit U.S. Postal-Money Order scam. And for a tidy sum of money. But the She-demon did not count on me being a old Printer by Trade. I caught on to the fake Money-order's quick. He/She did not care if I went to Prison. Or if I had to pay it back. My Heart was ripped out. and IT kept trying to talk to me. And ask for more money. I had already burnt through a bit to this demon. I said NO!!! He/She is on here now. I told my family and friend's. I still have my Integrity. My Dignity, My Honor, I told the scamer, That this is something that can't be sold. I will keep it. You lost your's. Yes I am a Christian Man.( Humility). I told one that they could be the thief on the cross on one side or the other, They Left me alone after that. I learned to be a Open Book after this. But in number's is strength. Thank-You Bronco :D
SGT. SLAUGHTERHOUSE. I HAVE THEM IN MY CROSSHAIR'S.

farnandes
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby farnandes » Sat May 28, 2011 4:14 am

I'm not even sure if I'd tell anyone about it. I would but be compelled to tell my family.

DLCatlord
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby DLCatlord » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:19 pm

I have a group of Russians trying to set me up for their little scam. Details are already posted and I was stunned to find that some of the photos have already been located from where they were found. They have annoyed me now, and I am a little horrified by just how widespread it all is. I have been informing as many people as will listen. The illusion did work on me for a bit and I did develop some feelings for the person being portrayed, but the trith will set you free. Be nice if they could just round them all up and lock them in jail never to be released. The reality is its spreading with only a few sites like this trying to fight back.
I am by nature, a trusting person and even though I am not quite ready to start thinking about finding my special someone again, and I have not registered on any dating sites, I feel a distrust of them because if this which is a pity because Russian women definately sound interesting and even if I never married one I would love to see one of their weddings.

RSfan
Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby RSfan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:08 pm

@ DLCatlord,

I feel your "distrust" of dating web sites. I was on just one.....Match.com....and only for 30 day trial. The Nigerian 419 scammers came after me, and I was stupid enough to fall for the first one initially.....e-mailed for over 3 weeks, then he finally hit me up for $80,000 USD. Fortunately, I did not fall for the scam. A second scammer came after me, too, but I was already wise to their scam by then.

I will NEVER use a dating web site again!!! They seem to target men & women over 40 years old, and especially if you are over 50. I was once a very trusting person, but I will never trust the Internet again!! These scumbags are everywhere on the Internet....including Facebook.

"Trust but Verify".....so true. But never trust the Internet! :cry:
Google is my best friend

nms
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby nms » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:52 pm

YES, I WAS SCAMMED. I FEEL FOOLISH. I WAS REALLY INTO THIS MAN.
WHAT I HAVE DISCOVERED IN ALL OF THIS IS THAT MATCH.COM IS FULL OF SCAMMERS, THERE ARE MULTIPLE PROFILES FOR THE SAME PERSON AND MATCH.COM DOES NOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT SECURITY EXCEPT GIVE YOU THIS LAME STATEMENT ABOUT BEING CAREFUL. ALSO I HAVE NOTICED THE SCAMMERS WILL ASK IF YOU USE YAHOO RIGHT AWAY SO THEY CAN PRIVATELY CHAT WITH YOU, YAHOO IS ALSO A BREEDING GROUND FOR SCAMMERS. YAHOO HAS A PLACE TO PLACE A COMPLAINT BUT MATCH.COM DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A PHONE NUMBER TO CALL AND SCAMMING ISN'T EVEN ONE OF THE OPTIONS UNDER COMPLAINTS....YOU THINK IT WOULD BE FIRST ON THE LIST. THE SCAMMERS GOT INTO MY FACEBOOK ACCT THROUGH MY YAHOO ACCT AND HAS INVITED A LOT OF MY FRIENDS TO BE THEIR FRIENDS. THEY TARGETED MY MOTHER, WHO IS ALMOST 80, BUT SHE WAS IN THE ARMY AND DOESN'T TRUST A SOUL SO SHE WAS NOT ACCEPTING ANYONE! I HAD TO SEND A MESSAGE TO ALL MY FB FRIENDS LETTING THEN KNOW NOT TO ACCEPT ANYONE THEY DIDN'T KNOW AND ESP. THIS NAME IN PARTICULAR, BUT NOTICED YESTERDAY I GOT ANOTHER FRIEND REQUEST FROM A SIMILAR PERSON. THE SCAMMERS ALSO HAVE MY PERSONAL INFORMATION,(IE ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER, PHOTOS OF ME AND MY FAMILY...WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT THIS ? I DON'T WANT TO TELL ANYONE .

THANKS FOR LISTENING AND THANKS FOR THIS SITE,
nms (NO MORE SCAMS)

Return to “Voting polls”