It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

How many of you are scambaiters?

If you want to know the opinion of our visitors, create your poll. Please don't submit scammers here!

Are you a scam baiter, or a visiting victim?

I am a scam baiter
35%
I am a victim here for support and to help only
65%

Total votes: 286

Stealth
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Stealth » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:21 am

Just curious about this. I know some were victims turned scam baiters, others just despise these scums of the earth and therefore scam bait them. Others are victims just looking to share their stories, support each other, and file the complaint in hopes to save some one else from it.

Which are you?

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

shadypyro90
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: How many of you are scambaiters?

Postby shadypyro90 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:10 pm

I would say that i am a scambaiter, cause i get a lot of spam messages. Most of them wound up in my email spam folder.

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Postby FrumpyBB » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:41 pm

Nice, feel invited to post them in the appropriate section (white males, military, ) :)

Not wanting to sidetrack from the poll - What you describe would be a normal "internet user" since almost everyone gets scam messages anywhere :) but baiters - aah you will see more should you reach the postcount of ten :)

Baiter by definition is someone who deliberately posts scammers´ data anonymously but with proof and/or fools scammers around a bit in that process.
Posting scams is the main way to educte the general public :)
Baiting is a valuable service for other internet users this way.
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

almost_bit
Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby almost_bit » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:56 am

I have posted several scammers, but I've found that baiting is my best education tool.
Telling funny stories about idiots gets people interested and asking questions.
Do NOT bait your own scammer!
___
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

painfullyhonest
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby painfullyhonest » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:18 am

The "person" I was talking to had two distinct writing styles; one with the typical poor spelling and grammar, the other with excellently formed paragraph and sentence structure. The inconsistency was bothersome to me. So thru searching for the tools to discover exactly to whom I was chatting with, I happened into this group as well as another containing the accounts of victims. Now, I love to fish. It's a sport very worthy of my time. Kudos to the ancestral baiters who formed this group !

Stealth
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Stealth » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:51 am

shadypyro90,

Frumpy is right. You could be classified as an internet user minding their own business, going about life, while being approached by scam artists, such as what happens with everyone.

A scam baiter, on the other hand, is some one that deliberately, and calculatingly goes after the mugus, hunts them, sets up decoy profiles on dating/social network sites, to attract them like bees to honey. Then the baiter will string them along for a while while collecting all kinds of evidences against them, later going in for the big bust! The mugus think they are reeling in another fish, but are reeling in a shark when they are on the line with a baiter! :twisted:
"Scam signs"

ATTN GUESTS!!Telling your mugu that he/she is busted will accomplish absolutely nothing but teaching them how to be better at scamming/victimizing, as well as cause other victims unnecessary duress. Unless this is what you hope to cause, do NOT confront them!

Stealth
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Stealth » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:54 am

The "person" I was talking to had two distinct writing styles; one with the typical poor spelling and grammar, the other with excellently formed paragraph and sentence structure. The inconsistency was bothersome to me. So thru searching for the tools to discover exactly to whom I was chatting with, I happened into this group as well as another containing the accounts of victims. Now, I love to fish. It's a sport very worthy of my time. Kudos to the ancestral baiters who formed this group !
It seems it's not uncommon that more than one mugu will engage in IM discussion. I have found while baiting and talking in IM's that often the excellent paragraphs and grammars, however, are a result of the mugu simply copying and pasting prefabbed material from else where, into the IM, as even the best versed mugu, when trying to free flow dialogue still has their oops mishaps (except in the case they are using a mule that is native to places like the USA at least).
"Scam signs"

ATTN GUESTS!!Telling your mugu that he/she is busted will accomplish absolutely nothing but teaching them how to be better at scamming/victimizing, as well as cause other victims unnecessary duress. Unless this is what you hope to cause, do NOT confront them!

Lioness1

Bookmark and Share

Postby Lioness1 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:03 am

It came slowly, and suddenly I became what I am now: a scambaiter! :-o

Stealth
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Stealth » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:43 am

I came on swiftly! Learned, educated myself and decided I was so disgusted and repulsed by these POS I just had to do it. But always good to remember, before some one starts out, learn on places like this site how to bait safely.

It disgusts me that the way they scam their victims is by using the fact that the victims are very kind, heartfelt, generous, caring, helpful people against them; or even the fact that some of the victims are just feeling a bit lonely and looking to love and be loved by somebody. So anything that I can do in order to put a damper in their crooked business, or perhaps save some one from falling into this, even if it's just one person, I feel my efforts are worth it.
"Scam signs"

Outta Control
Frequent Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Outta Control » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:22 am

I am a victim. These scammers are abusers. Financially and emotionally. I want to learn. I just can't believe I fell for this. I'm college educated. I work extremly hard for what little I have and I'm ashame :cool: d that I allowed this to happen. I was wondering how I'm supposed to post the chats. Its unfortunate that what I. Was excited to have was the only email I had. Just to find he sent the last request for money attached to an email I sent so now I don't have the IP address. I'm considering baiting. Any words of advise. I just want more info on this mugu.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Baby2012
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Baby2012 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:33 am

I was lonely but educated woman so by a friend's recommendation, I signed in one of the dating site so naive about the lewd practices. I fall in love to a picture of a scammer but found it out earlier that he is a fake. Fortunately, No heavy financial damage done other than phone bills ($89.00). What transpired made me wiser and determined to get even by becoming a scambaiter. The feeling is overwhelming when I caught one. It is worth more than $89.00 that I lost. LOL!!! and, now I am hooked. I toyed their emotion and keep them hanging for a while hoping with their time spent with me chatting can save a few unsuspecting women. This site is a saviour!!! I wish I found this site earlier...

While it is fun baiting the scammers, it is undeniable that sometimes I have the urge to kick their butt ..

Lioness1

Bookmark and Share

Postby Lioness1 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:58 am

I'm considering baiting. Any words of advise. I just want more info on this mugu.
Dear Outta Control,
I'm sorry what happened to you. But I'm glad to hear that they want to help here on RS also. I have not been scammed, a randomly brought me here and I stayed. I had no idea about this metier, I was coached. The same, I offer you also. I promise you all here to help them with questions .... and just all.., like them to send me a pm. I would be pleased. :)

The Wild Geese
RomanceScam Sponsor
RomanceScam Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby The Wild Geese » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:34 am

Hello TWG here! :)
I was a victim once, now fully healed. Can't stand scumbags even just by emails. They make me feel sick eventhough they are far far away. That is why I can't be a scambaiter and I am a very bad pretender. Just hanging around here in RS to support anybody who needs one.
Nothing wrong of being an Engr. as long as you are real. :-)

Marisa
Site Admin
Location: am from califonia aka carlifonia, united state of americans okay

Bookmark and Share

Postby Marisa » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:15 am

I am not a scambaiter, I am more like a scamhunter, or scamcatcher. I was always opposed to baiting the same scammer for months, talking to him on YIM for hours, as I believe all these lengthy Yahoo chats waste more time of a baiter than of a scammer. Every scammer has infinity of other IDs and victims, and your chats will not distract him much. Maybe just amuse you, but not of a much help for others. Instead, I was always encouraging people to hunt scammers profiles on the sites - catch as many as you can. You catch a scammer, got his details (picture, email. IP), post it - and move on. Post as many as you can, instead of wasting your time on the same scammer.

This is what was always different between Romancescam and other baiting sites like Eater, etc.. The approach to baiting was always different.

I know some will disagree, but don't try to convince me. LOL I was like that since day one of Romancescam. :lol:
SCAM FREE DATING SITE

I am responsible for what I say. I'm not responsible for what you understand.

Stealth
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Stealth » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:58 am

I'm considering baiting. Any words of advise. I just want more info on this mugu.
Normally, I don't think it's a good idea for a victim to bait their personal scammer. Remember, before you knew what it was that you were in contact with, you gave it personal info about yourself, probably shared some personal photos even. You may have even disclosed personal history to your scammer that you wouldn't do anyone else.

So if you really wanted to bait your own scammer, I would suggest not doing it under the ID it knows you by. You would 1.) Create a fake ID. 2) Create a gmail account (this masks your IP) 3.) Create a fake decoy profile. 4.) If you use photos, only use some of a very minor celebrity or other person who's been in the media, that would be hard for a scammer to track.

Above and beyond anything, stay in full control and ask advice whenever stumped or feel like your scammer is putting you in a hairy situation.
"Scam signs"

Return to “Voting polls”