It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 am    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

No one here is stupid!

Emotional Support, Compassionate Friends
haslie
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: Nigerian in U.S. gets 12 year jail term for $1.3m scam

Postby haslie » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:02 pm

It is also the fault of victims who are greedy to get something for doing nothing that keep these kind of thugs in business.

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby Igulinka » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:07 pm

haslie

You have to be out of your mind to say that!!! I am a victim of the scam and you just offended me terribly!!! I was not promised anything except to be loved. I do not need any materials things from anyone and centrally I was only promised to get back what I lent to the scammer. You must not realize how horrible victims under the scammer manipulation must feel when those "horrible" things happen to their online relationships. No one thinks about getting their life better but everyone thinks how to help . Victims of the scams are not greedy and self centered. Victims of the scams are decent people who instead find love and and respect fell for fake horrible criminals. No one desrves that . Unless you walk in my shoes you have no right to call me that or you are just example of a greedy victim and you talk about yourself?

If you come with accusations of victims being greedy you need to have supporting evidence otherwise please be sensitive as not everyone may be kind to you as I am :(

FYI. If you blame on victims for the scam happened to them you must also blame on yourself when a robber hit you on the street and will steal your handbag . Both are crimes :(
Confronting the scammer is WRONG!!! DON'T enlighten criminals with your wisdom. REPORT & BLOCK.
PHOTO VICTIM - "Do not confront the owner of the pictures, as they are victims themselves! You will only serve to further the terror and harm !" Silence Is Golden!!! I speak Polish.

mhash1015
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: No one here is stupid!

Postby mhash1015 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:46 am

While maybe no one here is stupid, (and that includes the scammers, because if what they do was no longer profitable, they would stop,) I find it hard not to wantbto show some toughlove when I read that someone has fallen victim to this more than once. Molly-coddlying and telling them what they did was okay and not their fault (the second or third time) is baloney! No one strong-arms their money from them. And, after the first time, if you haven't learned....well, who's fault is that, really? Repeating the same, destructive behaviour, and expecting different results should not be rewarded with, "aww, you poor thing.". It should be met with stern, clear words that spell out why it was a mistake, and even sterner words about how insane it would be to ever let it happen again....in my humble opinion!

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:45 am

That doesn't sound like a 'humble' opinion to me. Never the less, it's very rare that anyone gets scammed a second time so your point is practically moot.

On the rare occasion someone has been scammed more than once, it is generally because they still were not fully aware of scams after the first. Personally, I can't fault anyone for being uninformed.

I'm curious as to why you come here with what seems to be an angry chip on your shoulder, your very first post?
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.

JulieNP
RomanceScam Sponsor
RomanceScam Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby JulieNP » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:15 pm

Pinky - Right? I don't think any of us who have lived this nightmare need to have "tough love" even if it is the second or third time from someone who just appears on a website and spews such vile and then closes with "in my humble opinion". Opinions are like assholes - everyone has one but that doesn't mean we necessarily want or need to see it!
I find it hard not to wantbto show some toughlove when I read that someone has fallen victim to this more than once.
Well then MHash please stifle your bullshit because as victims we don't need or want it! This site does an excellent job of educating and supporting victims of this crime and is one of the reasons I was able to recover as quickly as I did.

Julie

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:28 pm

Bless you dear Julie, that you defend us but try not to be too angry with Mhash. He/she too is merely uninformed. I thought about stifling their post but in the end my perception was that he/she is lashing out in frustration or maybe anger and maybe hoping to find tolerance or compassion for themselves. And that's what we're here for.
If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, please message a green Moderator or red Admin. We need to know.

JulieNP
RomanceScam Sponsor
RomanceScam Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby JulieNP » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:47 am

Pinky - I hear you but sometimes ignorance is just as bad....

We will always support anyone coming here asking for support but I struggle with this type of myopic post

Julie

Cheated15
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Cheated15 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:35 am

I just join in and posted in the other thread of "The Healing Process" and was 'beating myself' for being stupid.

However, I came to this thread and read. There are people like me think logic at times, just being more compassionate, loving and caring do fall into scam. Stupidity only comes in if the person does not learn once bitten twice shy or twice to be more caution. With a person with intention to scam you, there are ways and means for that person to study your weak point and hit you when u are most unaware.(it might sound like an excuse but it does happen). Is really just like u dress properly with no flashy jewellery, however if there is a criminal lurking around and it happen to be a lonely street they will just strike even u had done your own due diligence.

After reading the thread here, I had report my scammer to weechat and totally delete all past message and stuff of him. In fact I type in a message 'Karma will find u' send to him and I delete our chat and block him off. He might or might not see it but it make me feel better and start picking up from here why not?

I do agree, lots of people is like me got scammed and initially hide and think is a shameful thing and will keep quiet and suffer in silence. After reading 7 pages of this thread, indeed we will need to post their ID, pics and what the conversation had been used to scam people. Mainly education is much needed to deal with and to protect itself from such criminal acts.

Well I know it will take a few months to get myself out of the debt due to this incident but as I said, count my blessing I am way off better than lots of people scam off their retirement funds and such.

Well I guess, it does help to read up some of the 'healing threads' here and also gain more knowledge to identify a scammer. I guess I will hang around this forum for some time, during this time of 'healing'.

Pinky
Scam Buster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Pinky » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:26 am

I read your first post at midnight on my cell phone and it was difficult to respond but I intended to send you to this thread. I see that you've found it all on your own. I suggest this is even more evidence that you are not stupid. You've put yourself on the right course to heal and come through a stronger and wiser person and much faster than a lot of others. You're absolutely brilliant! High five!

Cheated15
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Cheated15 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:33 am

* high five* to Pink

*high five* to Igulinka too!

I will post my story soon and also another potential scammer which I just received in my email.

They seems like fleas and ticks..so many of them and trying their ways and means to leech on caring and compassionate and trusting people.

limichelle31
Junior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby limichelle31 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:43 pm

I take offence because the people on here such as myself scammed. We are far from stupid! We are compassionate and kind people that happened to want the love promised to us by the person on the profile we thought we were talking too. Anybody can be scammed so don't be so quick to judge others it can happen to you.

mysterylady
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby mysterylady » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:44 pm

limichelle: you stated it like it is. If it were not for all great folks on this cite, i probably would still be beating myself because I fell for all the bs I received when I was scammed. Giving support to other victims was instrumental in my healing. We all need to be supportive to each other. The negative comments I read makes me think those victims are very angry at themselves and so they lash at others. Perhaps they need to get some professional counselling.

BurnedBad
New Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby BurnedBad » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:39 am

Hello everyone,

I am new here. I feel so "clouded over" at the moment. This actually is not my first visit to the site. I had shown up in May in an attempt to "disprove" who I was dealing with could not have been a scammer. I am still in shock about how insensitive and uncaring the whole charade that is staged for someone with an open heart and a generous soul is.

I used google image search on everyone whom I had met at an online dating site. I thought I was taking proper precautions. In the end, I got my confirmation today when I used tineye to do the image search. It took me straight to the post that his same pictures and nearly identical messages albeit with a different names/email/phone and demographics. While I know not everyone lost money and how much I lost ($55,0000) is small compared to what others may have lost, we all lost some innocence.

I also think that a group of them may be colluding together, because after my entanglement with the first one, a second and a third started hitting me up. It was like they had me tagged as an easy mark or something. I am now ever so suspicious of just about anyone who contacts me.

I am not sure how I will recover that money but recover it I will even if I have to work a second job. Now, I want to know how I can help and what I can do above and beyond posting their profiles here.

Thanks

Igulinka
Moderator/Sponsor
Moderator/Sponsor

Bookmark and Share

Postby Igulinka » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:46 pm

BurnedBad

We are truly very sorry about the scam. Please know we know here exactly how you feel. A three years ago I was in the same place when I came of the fog, scammed horribly and only wished it was a bad dream and I could wake up. I prayed hard to Lord to make a time pass faster so the painful feeling would go away and I could feel better.
Unfortunately money is gone and if you are US citizen you will be able to recover a small portion via tax deduction.

Please post all info in the same tread where the stolen pictures already are. Post the profile, email address, phone numbers, fake documents, detailed money requests.

Please file IC3 complaint with FBI: https://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx

You MUST BLOCK and IGNORE scammers. As for the victims which lost money they won't go away , your info is most likely already sold among scammers and they will try hard to abuse you again. Please get educated about scams and be safe . Once again we are very sorry that it happened to you.
Confronting the scammer is WRONG!!! DON'T enlighten criminals with your wisdom. REPORT & BLOCK.
PHOTO VICTIM - "Do not confront the owner of the pictures, as they are victims themselves! You will only serve to further the terror and harm !" Silence Is Golden!!! I speak Polish.

Wingman182
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby Wingman182 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:10 pm

Hello BurnedBad and welcome back to R.S.
I am deeply sorry that you had fallen into the web that is a romance scammers trap. But at the same time I am also very glad that you have finally broken free of the spell of deceit and manipulation that they had you under. From your post it is clear that on your previous visit you were still struggling with the internal battle between your brain and your heart. Your brain was asking questions that your heart was not ready to listen to because it truly believed your special someone was real and someone who could never hurt you. However now you are seeing more clearly. You now see the truth. And this in itself is a huge victory for you, for you have regained your freedom. Though it has come at a very high coast, and I am not just speaking of the financial part of it.
Yes there are those of us who had broken free before they had gotten financially caught up. And like the both of us there are those who have lost much. And sadly there are those who have lost everything they had. Most of us however will agree. It's how the scam had hurt us deep inside. And how that pain had out weighed the damage done to our bank accounts which was the deepest concerns. But like yourself one way or another we do get past the financially damage with time. And with help our heart and souls mend as well.
The innocence may have been lost. But what will replace it is strength and wisdom.

BurnedBad
I also think that a group of them may be colluding together, because after my entanglement with the first one, a second and a third started hitting me up. It was like they had me tagged as an easy mark or something.
You are on the right track here, but it is a hell of a lot more then just random collusion among individual scammers. It is a well organized crime ring to the point it is a mafia in it's own right. Complete with bosses and lower ranking officers.
And as you will learn you were not just being scammed by a single scammer but a team of scammers working together. There are those who create the profiles and make first contact. Then there are the ones who say all of the right things to get you interested. There are the ones who make the financially arrangements. And there are the strong arms who try intimidation tactics to keep a victim in line. These are just a few examples.
And there is something else. Scammers do not like to let go of a victim once the victim is on a paying basses. In this respect it is the scammers who act very stupidly. They think all the have to do is say all of the right words again, or try to threaten and they will get a victim back to paying them.
Also it is common for scammers to buy and sell victims information among themselves. So it maybe necessary for you to change your phone number and email address to avoid their harassment.

BurnedBad
Now, I want to know how I can help and what I can do above and beyond posting their profiles here.
As you learn more about this site you will see how other here help, and some of them go way more then just above and beyond. But first take some time to recover from this. You have lost more then just 55K. You have lost something that was very special to you. It's not unlike the loss of a dear loved one. And even though they were nothing more but made up lies, your feeling for them were very real and genuine. You have more then earned your right to grieve this passing.
Once you are feeling more yourself and see how this site works I think you will find a way, or ways to help that is best for you if that is what you wish.
Bur first things first. Focus on yourself. Everything else will fall into place in due time.

One last thing. You are among friends here. If there is anything you need to know, or have any questions. Just ask. It's what we are here for.
Wingman182 Pay It Forward

Return to “Support and Advice.”