It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 pm    

Romance Scam

Please report romance scams and dating scams here. We accept reports on Russian scammers and Nigerian scammers.

Disclaimer regarding pictures posted on the board: please understand that you are NOT looking at the pictures of people who are actually scamming you. The people portrayed on these photos are innocent men and women, NOT involved in scamming in any way and have nothing to do with scammers. The scammers are using their images without their knowledge or permission to deceive their victims and steal their money.

New Scam Tactic in Hong Kong EDIT Caller ID Spoofing

Articles and media
LaraC
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Postby LaraC » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:37 am

Scams are evolving every day. Hong Kong Police has setup the Anti-Scam Hotline recently so that the scammers invented the new tactic. Not sure you guys (admins) on this website probably have heard this but for me this sounds new, that scammers can take over anyone's phone number to call somebody else. Is this new?

It doesn't say in this article but other source says the scammers used the app to create fake number and the father believed the scammers kidnapped her because he received a call from his daughter's mobile number.

(1st I thought you have to switch off your phone number for scammers to take over your number but it is not the case. The fact scammers asked the daughter to switch off the phone so that the father can't call daughter. So that means basically, now the scammers can basically take over anyone's phone number!!)

=========================================================
Con artists strike again

Con artists appear to have changed tactics after the police set up an advisory hotline in an attempt to curb scams.

The latest victims are a father and daughter, surnamed Chu, who were cheated out of HK$17,000 by a so-called "immigration officer."

The 18-year-old daughter, a year one student at a Taiwanese university who is spending her summer break back in Hong Kong, reported to Tseung Kwan O police at 8pm Tuesday that she had received a call from an "immigration officer" who later forwarded the call to a self-proclaimed law enforcement officer.

The officer told her she was suspected of involvement in a criminal case and asked her to provide information about her father, including his telephone number and to deposit HK$6,100 into a mainland bank account. She was then asked to switch off her phone.

The scammer then called her father, saying he had kidnapped the daughter and demanded a ransom of 10,000 yuan to set her free.

After paying the ransom, the father realized his daughter was safe and had not been kidnapped.

Scammers used the same tactic on a 22-year-old woman, surnamed Law, a third year university student who also studies in Taiwan.

She received a call on Tuesday from a stranger who claimed to be a legal officer who then transferred the call to an officer from the mainland.

Law deposited HK$13,000 into two mainland bank accounts using three transactions. The case was reported to the police at 9pm.

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/section-n ... ?id=185608

Sponsor

verispy.com
Sponsor

LaraC
Senior Poster

Bookmark and Share

Re: New Scam Tactic in Hong Kong

Postby LaraC » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:59 am

I should add.

So I think the scammers used Caller ID Spoof app, which is widely known and spoken in this website or elsewhere.
What I didn't know was I thought this app can only create non-existing phone numbers, I didn't know they can do this on existing REAL local numbers....

Wow... and this is still legal? - app creators / providers do not get charged?

:-o

FrumpyBB
Site Admin

Bookmark and Share

Re: New Scam Tactic in Hong Kong

Postby FrumpyBB » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:35 pm

Showing a fake caller number is, technically, as easy as showing none at all, or as playing prerecorded a webcam video loop or opening a fake name profile on social media :(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing
Please try your best to block ALL your scammer´s still incoming messages and calls!

What is all this? => The FAQ

The scammers vs. Why is "he" still doing it?

Why is alerting the man in the pictures DANGEROUS?

Please click why confronting my scammer is terribly wrong :)

Return to “Articles and media”